• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Does anyone on here use a kayak?

2much

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just back from holiday and again seeing people launching their kayaks with rods has me interested. I just started researching via google - can anyone give some advice on Kayak types and also, the kind of money I would need to spend to get going?
Don’t think I would get electronics to start.
Cheers

Just back from holiday and again seeing people launching their kayaks with rods has me interested. I just started researching via google - can anyone give some advice on Kayak types and also, the kind of money I would need to spend to get going?
Don’t think I would get electronics to start.
Cheers
Ocean kayaks are popular here the kayak man does well hiring them out,when you next come down maybe hire one and see if you like it??? I am in gorran haven if you need any pointers on places to try for a dangle.

Only for a couple of paddles abroad.

As Tommo says, maybe hire one out first, perhaps with a lesson if they do that.

See too many folks here hire one or take their own new one out, no experience, then get brought back by the RNLI a few hours later.

Make sure it’s got all safety equipment ie life jacket, VHF radio (or at least waterproof phone case), etc

Ocean kayaks are popular here the kayak man does well hiring them out,when you next come down maybe hire one and see if you like it??? I am in gorran haven if you need any pointers on places to try for a dangle.
Cheers for that Cfish I live in Southampton and have been looking tonight at where I can do it locally, but the sea here is shifty compared to your coast, 2 tides a day etc. Had a go a goood few years back and didn’t capsize but that was in a gravel pit. ??
I’ll definitely take you up on that offer thanks. This holiday I didn’t want to fish much, needed to spend time with missus n little one n first proper break with just us 3 since Covid bollx started, but managed a few chucks. My missus wants to live in Cornwall again. Happens every time we go. Sending me pics n links to properties etc.

Only for a couple of paddles abroad.

As Tommo says, maybe hire one out first, perhaps with a lesson if they do that.

See too many folks here hire one or take their own new one out, no experience, then get brought back by the RNLI a few hours later.

Make sure it’s got all safety equipment ie life jacket, VHF radio (or at least waterproof phone case), etc
Yes cheers - understand I need the basics with safety. ?

Yep I use one but not at sea… at the moment. I use one for bothering the local pike etc , Norfolk broads. I am thinking of venturing onto the sea, perhaps next summer.

I've tried a few. Good on lakes/lochs (though a float tube is superior for fly fishing), but for me locally at sea not as suitable as a 5m RIB and a nice 4 stroke donkey. Just too much tide run in the places I want to be fishing. Seen a few move over from yaks to SIB and small outboards. The thing with all boats is they're always a compromise - too big/small/slow/heavy etc

I've thought about one as nowhere to keep a boat and it would be great to get out around the Harbour here. Arms not my strongest point so was looking at pedal fishing Yaks from Old Town & Pelican, but they're about twice the price here as on the USA/CA manufacturers websites. Shelved the idea.

There’s a lot of bass n flatly marks round here that are only fishable by very small boat or kayak. My research continues. They’re not cheap!

Yes cheers - understand I need the basics with safety. ?
And wherever you end up doing it, worth getting a lesson if possible, just to cover dos and don’ts, capsize drills, local conditions etc.
Probably an hour or two would be more than enough to give you the basics.
A lot of coastal areas have canoe/kayak clubs as well, which might be worth looking into.

Id certainly get something decent like an ocean kayak you can rig for fishing rather than one of the silly little sit on top open things.

My old man made me one when I was a kid. I think he hired a mold, might ha\/e just borrowed one I suppose, anyway it worked out cheap and lasted more than 20 years. I used to sit in it 6 inch deep in flapping mackerel co\/ered from head to toe in blood, shit and scales. Then punt them around the cara\/an sites for 5p each

There are a number of kayak anglers on YouTube Piscator UK. for example. Take a look at some of the info there. For kayaks at sea you’d be better with a minimum of a 13 footer, Look at the Perception Triumph 14.

There are a number of kayak anglers on YouTube Piscator UK. for example. Take a look at some of the info there. For kayaks at sea you’d be better with a minimum of a 13 footer, Look at the Perception Triumph 14.
Ouch, they’re not cheap are they? A lot cheaper than buying a boat though

There’s some good info there cheers. I’m looking at those sizes given my size and weight etc. Thanks ?

I recall that fella on the other site that uses a jet ski, now that appeals to me!
I do agree on that, but not going there as they’re a pain in the arse when fishing some areas of the Solent ? mortal enemies.

Back