• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Dongle

As already stated above, the dongle serves the same purpose as the bottom hook in a pennel set-up. The only reason I’d use one is if they’re significantly cheaper than the bottom hook!
Bandit fishing wales make/demonstrate one made out of, I think 300lb braid, chinese stuff no doubt so cheap enough I would have thought.

Last edited:
I can see why lots like the Dongle as if it’s like what I experience when I’m out fishing most of the Ray’s & Hounds I catch are always hooked on the top rig of the pennel. Not tried it yet personally but will do over a couple of sessions just to compare. Will have to give the fish a little more time to consume/move off with the bait I suppose if using circles.

Used a dongle on one rod yesterday and pennel on the other and tbf didn’t drop a hound on the rig also doggies took it and again hooked nicely in the corners. Only fish I lost was on the other rod but could of been any reason and more likely me being a tosser. All I will say is learned you really need to bind it on well. Myself I think it’s one you try and see if it suits your fishing and don’t discount something before you try it. I suspect when pennell rigs appeared they were labelled as crap why use two hooks when 1 will do the job ?

I've tried a couple of times, once with popped up baits for spurs./huss hoping to avoid the dogs..... And once a bottom bait for rays.

I caught dogs on the popped up baits and lost rays!... Had tangles as well..... Very flexible hairs can easily wrap round the rest of the rig if not fishing in strong tide I guess?

Not convinced tbh, and I spent years carp fishing as a lad, so know hairs work well in principle.

Back