• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Expect The Unexpected......Long Weekend.......Rays, Plaice, Bass

Mukiwa

Reaction score
20220425_200329.jpgGood afternoon guys.

Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way, a form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self.

Ted Huges

A bank weekend, days of fishing, immersing ones self in a peaceful and tranquil surroundings, but also learning to expect the unexpected.

Not to say that, the fishing so far this year has been bad, but hard to find the time to do what we enjoy most. Hearing fishy tails , can only encourage one to pack a rod , rigs and bait and discover what swims in the watery world before us.
20220305_151019.jpg20220305_145649.jpg
Taking me back to March, standing on the rocks in Cornwall, catch lovely wrasse, or to lee on solent for my first ever plaice ?.

Hand Finger Thumb Fish Soil

Week after week, these short sessions, get drowned out by reality, a pin dropping in a thunderstorm of life.

Pushing for a decent session, to drown out reality became a dominant force, with a few sessions in short period of time.

The total excitement, was to purchase two Century Escalibre 15 foot SRE, from a very good friend in and no other than @Sole intentions. The excitement came to reality when driving to a pre arranged location ? were no mistake could be made, seeing to Century rod bags leaning against a car. It's such a pleasure to have finally met you Alan. As I name my rods, and this is a pair, its fitting to call one "sole" and the other "intention"

Itchen river

After a long two weeks of work, I finally made it back home exhausted. Crashing at 21:00 after big hello, hug and kiss from merrylegs, cuddle with the cat. Waking at 02:00 am friday morning, the mind was in over drive, lying there in the dark listening to the clock ticking ever so loudly. Just then, a unexpected voice came from the dark...... merryleggs....... shall we go fishing!! Heart pumping, knowing Lw was at 04:15 am.......Is this a dream lol

No worries, rod and reel attached, line fed though the eyes, with that lovely sound we all love, as the ratchet paid out line.

Jaw Fin Fishing Fish Seafood

Arriving at the mark, in perfect time for an hours fishing. Making my way though mud, into gin clear water, the first casts were made. What a way to start our bank holiday, looking around at the shimmering water, ducks quaking in the distance, suddenly the line went solid with a lovely bass, not huge, but welcome.
IMG-20220429-WA0018.jpg
Well that got my attention. Landing a second one in no time. The slowing tide pushing round my legs, an indication that low water was upon us, suddenly that lovely feeling of a shy but subtle bite....... game was on, knowing it was a bigger fish, hanging deep with the big head shakes and long runs. Landing a lovely fish. I have no idea of length or weight, being out of practice.

Jaw Fish Fin Fisherman Recreation

Packing up, heading home for a few hours sleep.

On to the next session.

Stokes Bay

Waking up, the thoughts and ideas floating in conversation of a bbq over a cup of coffee, yeah I said eagerly, one rod each, just enjoy the sunset.

Car packed, on to the shops, arriving in the carpark in awe of the water and the thought of the next few hours. Bbq was lovely, fishing was sad with one pup and doggie breaking the ever nodding rod tips from weed.

Fed and the smell of the ocean, filling a partly starved craving to be on the beach, we made our way home.

Lepe

With bait pre bought, the car was pre packed already from the night before, we were on the road again. Armed with another BBQ and the drifting thoughts of a lovely night ahead, in the most beautiful place in the solent. Memories bursting of such happy times, expecting the night to be busy.

The BBQ's consist of chicken pieces, with backed potato, roast veg and gravy, yum.

Sadly the night was slow, one pup, but the joy of being on a beach with good food and company drowned out any disappointment.

Fin Fish Marine biology Tail Fisherman

A silent drive home, as the craving was not fixed.

MILFORD SHINGLE

Fish Ray-finned fish Marine biology Fish products Food

I have not spent much time here, but the monday before, we had such a great session with seven spices caught, well happy with a lovely bream and a thornback ray.

Organism Marine invertebrates Fish Terrestrial plant Skate

This was going to be a long all night session. The fix we need.

Car packed, a stop on the way for some more food?, Arriving at New Lane, with excitement, couldnt wait to haul our kit over the top of the shingle to prospect the water below.

Setting up one rod each, bivy assembled, with all the mod cons to keep ones partner well happy ?. .......... oooooooh My back hurts and exhausted before starting lol, but wouldnt have it any other way.

Hand Watch Gesture Wood Finger

The fishing was slow and steady, landing a lovely plaice before the bbq was ready and cooking took over, which filled the air. I was happy at this point as the tide had not turned, and to eat in ease. Love these times, the sound of waves laping and the sky filled with colour, turning black, studded with diamonds. Looking across to the carpark where the distant music, hooting and car head lights carried on the wind, makes me love the hobby we hold dear even more.

Iris Fish Marine biology Fish products Ray-finned fish

Dinner done, tide turning, time to get serious ........lol. Amazing how we can multi task blind folded if need be, with our eyes on the rod tip of a freshly cast bait , while our hands seamlessly prepare a bluey and squid wrap with out looking at it ?

nod nod, then a long but slow pull, hairs on end coz I know what that is. Lifting into a weight, the feeling of large pumping wings confirmed my excitement. Landing a lovely undilate ray. I am in awe of the marking on this ray, just perfect. Time to release as we watched the ray slide back into the water. The night came and went with doggies filling in the quiet times.

Marine invertebrates Fish Sculpture Hat Rays and skates

Dawn arrived, time to pack up , a small drive round to the takeaway for a coffee and breakfast roll. Best tasting after a long night, adding in the wonderful aroma of fish and squid bait on my hands, well my Jean's were covered.

Paid for parking for two hours. Watching the wind, rain and running surf, while enjoying our tasty delights, my mind wondered to the rag worm in back of the car, then to the water infrount, then looking at Merrylegs with a checky grin, to which I get an answer from a rolling eyed merryleggs ............yes yes ?

But, you know a bad decision, and conciquice when exhausted can go.

Rod , tripod, rig and rag setup and cast down tide. Huddled in the rain, with drops of water dripping off my cap, looking at my line, it start to move as the tide turned, at a steadying pace as the line traveled from left to right. Light bulb moment, its got to have weed on it hey Mr genius ?‍? lol.

Bringing in a huge raft of weed, using the waves, some kids came down onto the rocks infrount of me at that perfect moment, by this time the wave washed back to sea with the weed, rod over stood, and a lovely sre quiet literally exploded, as I watch four pieces of rod tip, slowly in animation slid past my eye line to land at my feet.

I could not believe it. My poor poor rod died. My heart shattered, picking up, packing up, and sad and angry at the same time............we went home.

Cross House

With merryleggs back at work, me doing the chores round the house, a text arrive from merryleggs. What you think...... £5 of rag local mark?

Yeah, small comp, usual, biggest fish, most fish and most spieces then........, I relied.

So set up the lure rods, with a running ledger before we left, click of the fingers and we were wishing each other good luck, as we made the first casts. Bumps, pull and rattles from the off. Which resulted in me hooking a small bass, ha ha ha as the banter flowed, with checky dance to celebrate some kind of victory ? silently merrylegs I noticed was bringing in a fish, must be a little bass, ha ha ha, I am still winning. I walked over and though the mud to greet two eyes on the same side of the fish just above the water........ that still winning arrogant smile, was wiped cleanly off my face, as a lovely flounder slide up the mud. Mutter mutter, lol

Outerwear Smile Organism Natural material Grass

Well deserved fish to merryleggs, to secure the comp, of all three titles, landing two bass to go with it.
20220502_185422.jpg
Well done merryleggs??? we have our champion lol, 1 to 0.

Well thank you for reading my very late report. It has been very hard to find my mojo but will keep pushing. I will do another report on what happened to the SRE, which is now affectionately been name "intention"

Tight lines for the weekend

Cheers

Mukiwa

Fantastic write up wacker you have a way with words bey cracking bag of fish but sad times over the rod Best Buy a new one bey ???

Fantastic write up wacker you have a way with words bey cracking bag of fish but sad times over the rod Best Buy a new one bey ???
Hi wacker, how you doing mate. Thank you for the kind words wacker.

Lol, I have fixed it. Tried it this last weekend, and she casts I feel better than the original.

But will try again this weekend, could have been pride, in this is the first rod I have ever repaired. But she 5 mm shorter, but no loss in distance, or strength bringing in weed. But yes at some time I most likely replace for stronger rods when the money is there to do so.

Bloody brilliant report.
Good to hear from you again ?

Nice one Gavin, some nice fish there and great photos, but sorry to hear about the rod

How did it break exactly? I couldn’t quite work that out although my brain is a bit zonked at the moment!

Nice one Gavin, some nice fish there and great photos, but sorry to hear about the rod

How did it break exactly? I couldn’t quite work that out although my brain is a bit zonked at the moment!
Thank you Tony,

perfect timing. The wave carrying a huge swath of weed, came up, between the rocks I was one, then some kids, must have thought I had a fish on , so scrambled infrount of me, then the wave receded, taking the weed back out to sea, I couldnt get to the leader in time, my rod already upright, became over stood badly. I was not quick enough to release the bail arm, or drop the rod tip.

My fault though, later I think it's so funny, because the way the pieces slid down the line, slowly to my feet.

What amazed me, was how the rod totally exploded. Broken a rod tip before, but just one break, and no real load noise.

I was totally exhausted, so was not thinking straight, or to react quick enough

Thank you Tony,

perfect timing. The wave carrying a huge swath of weed, came up, between the rocks I was one, then some kids, must have thought I had a fish on , so scrambled infrount of me, then the wave receded, taking the weed back out to sea, I couldnt get to the leader in time, my rod already upright, became over stood badly. I was not quick enough to release the bail arm, or drop the rod tip.

My fault though, later I think it's so funny, because the way the pieces slid down the line, slowly to my feet.

What amazed me, was how the rod totally exploded. Broken a rod tip before, but just one break, and no real load noise.

I was totally exhausted, so was not thinking straight, or to react quick enough
Ah, I see! Yes we’ve all done silly things when tired!

You know what you should’ve doing but the brain and the body start talking to each other in a different language ?

Ah, I see! Yes we’ve all done silly things when tired!

You know what you should’ve doing but the brain and the body start talking to each other in a different language ?
?????I literally had a few hours sleep the night before and huge day before that.

There was no queens english spoken from any part of my body to the other

Round peg In a square hole and Jamed it there

Thank you Pete, hope you are well mate, and catching some awesome fish, which I have no doubt that you have.

Tight lines mate

Wow Gavin! Fantastic report - a great read, made a good start to the day! Lovely photos too, especially that Undulate! Great to hear from you, and I hope you & Merrylegs are on top form! ??????

Hiya Dave, thank you for your kind words, hope you and Tina are both well, and enjoying the warm weather.

Glad you enjoyed the report mate. Out tonight to see what we can catch.

Tight lines to you mate

Superb write up and pics there (y) (y) , there some lovely fish you have out, very well done(y)(y)(y)
Hello mate, hope all is well with you. Thank you for your kind words and wish all the success in your amazing speices hunts.

Tight lines mate

It’s been a while since I seen a report from you, but it’s been worth the wait fantastic report plenty of fish , shame about your rod , they weren’t designed to pull in 50lb of weed , well done to merrylegs showing you how it’s done

It’s been a while since I seen a report from you, but it’s been worth the wait fantastic report plenty of fish , shame about your rod , they weren’t designed to pull in 50lb of weed , well done to merrylegs showing you how it’s done
Hi John, hope you are well mate. Sorry yes it's been ages since my last report, but so glad the wait was worth it.

Totally, and was warned that they were not built for such gardening lol.

Lol, yes she gave me a good hiding, but it was such a lovely flounder.

Tight lines mate

Back