• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fathom mk2 sd mag

Nice but as you say expensive as is the shipping costs.
True, that was the only shipping available for some reason, but it is what it is.

Ian.

True, that was the only shipping available for some reason, but it is what it is.

Ian.
I got a couple of paddle handles for multies off of fleabay for £12 including shipping. Generally they give you the screw cap/plate and s/s screws in the packet.

Paddle handles arrived yesterday, excellent service from Blakdog tackle. They are expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

Ian.

View attachment 9127

76 quid for three reel handles does seem very expensive. They would have to make a big difference for me to justify that sort of spend.

76 quid for three reel handles does seem very expensive. They would have to make a big difference for me to justify that sort of spend.
They do make a big difference to the reels, better balance and faster retrieval per rotation, chesilpete would reiterate this, as he has them.

Ian.

I got a couple of paddle handles for multies off of fleabay for £12 including shipping. Generally they give you the screw cap/plate and s/s screws in the packet.
If thats the Tronixpro one's, or similar, they dont fit the Fathom II reels.

Ian.

Last edited:
They do make a big difference to the reels, better balance and faster retrieval per rotation, chesilpete would reiterate this, as he has them.

Ian.
I understand the balance being better and ergonomics improvement but how can it give a faster retrieval per rotation? One turn of the handle will always be the same no matter what type of handle is used?

Because you can turn the paddle handle quicker, two turns in the time it takes to turn the mangle handle once. What i mean by faster retrieval is being able to turn the handle faster than the mangle handle, hence faster retrieval.

Ian.

Because you can turn the paddle handle quicker, two turns in the time it takes to turn the mangle handle once. What i mean by faster retrieval is being able to turn the handle faster than the mangle handle, hence faster retrieval.

Ian.
Okay, I understand now. It's not actually faster retrieval per rotation then but it is easier to wind faster because of the handle shape.

I understand the balance being better and ergonomics improvement but how can it give a faster retrieval per rotation? One turn of the handle will always be the same no matter what type of handle is used?
The reason is that you can rotate your wrist rather than having to rotate your whole arm from the elbow..... as for expensive, I agree but then if you ever flog the reels the handles will get most of their money back on the bay. I also like to look of them and being a bit of a tackle tart..... that also works for me.
The reels are the pick of the crop in my opinion for medium to long range beach.

The reason is that you can rotate your wrist rather than having to rotate your whole arm from the elbow..... as for expensive, I agree but then if you ever flog the reels the handles will get most of their money back on the bay. I also like to look of them and being a bit of a tackle tart..... that also works for me.
The reels are the pick of the crop in my opinion for medium to long range beach.
I really shouldn’t read this section any more! You have convinced me and I’ve just been looking at an offer that Veals have sent me too! Finger is just being drawn to the ‘Buy’ button!

I really shouldn’t read this section any more! You have convinced me and I’ve just been looking at an offer that Veals have sent me too! Finger is just being drawn to the ‘Buy’ button!
Go on, you know it makes sense. Got my three Penn Fathom II's size 12 from Summerlands, cheaper than VMO, and free postage. ;)

Ian.

Last edited:
Just been sent an email offering me the Penn 515 Mag 4 at £113. Just wondered if anyone knew how the reel compares to the Penn Fathom II size 12, as reading the stuff on Veals they sound similar.

Just been sent an email offering me the Penn 515 Mag 4 at £113. Just wondered if anyone knew how the reel compares to the Penn Fathom II size 12, as reading the stuff on Veals they sound similar.
Fathom II all day long.

Ian.

The Fathom seems to have a far better rep

Back