• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Favourite flies

No boobies?? ?

I suppose I’m a very traditional fly fisher! I’ve only ever dry fly fished, and the majority of my flys are tried and tested old favourites, I built up a smallish collection of flies to cover all aspects of the match the hatch book and then added a couple of quirky flies

Not got pic, but when we used to go fly fishing i was buying Fly Fishing mag and in it would have a fly to tie.
My mate would tie the flies.
The one month was the Humungous Fly, he tied some and on the weekend we went fishing.
Every cast bang a trout, and no others catching all around us, one bloke reported us that we were fishing with dodgy stuff.

Depends on what I am fishing for and the time of year. Ranges from size 10/12 fly lures and ptn's in winter/cold weather to size 14/16 dry flies (wickhams/ants/duck wing, hawthorn) to match the hatch in warmer weather. River fishing for sea trout and salmon then teal blue & silver on the dropper and a thunder & lightning on the point. For mullet I tend to use a small maggots/shrimps or bread in tidal rivers.

No boobies?? ?

I suppose I’m a very traditional fly fisher! I’ve only ever dry fly fished, and the majority of my flys are tried and tested old favourites, I built up a smallish collection of flies to cover all aspects of the match the hatch book and then added a couple of quirky flies
Yep.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 0
No boobies?? ?

I have those too, just no pics.

Those are for chasing rainbows with but when the olives are hatching on the loch about May a Greenwells Glory is deadly.

Allis shrimp?? For salmon?????

Allys shrimp Cfish, created by Alistair Gowans. He also created the Cascade another good salmon fly.
The anglers on the wye used them but on our beat it was mostly flying cs when spinning was allowed. Long time ago.

Back