• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West First Solway Bass!

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had an explore into Krcudbright bay last night with a mate. We were fishing low water, well an hour to dead low water then a bit of the flood.

The water was a bit more coloured than expected but we cracked on anyway, nothing down to low and over low.

Chopped and changed a number of lures and as the tide started to flood I had on a savage gear seeker in pearl.

About 10 minutes into the flood and wallop, bass on. Turned out to be a 44cm bass, happy days! That was it for the night though.

First of many hopefully.

Had an explore into Krcudbright bay last night with a mate. We were fishing low water, well an hour to dead low water then a bit of the flood.

The water was a bit more coloured than expected but we cracked on anyway, nothing down to low and over low.

Chopped and changed a number of lures and as the tide started to flood I had on a savage gear seeker in pearl.

About 10 minutes into the flood and wallop, bass on. Turned out to be a 44cm bass, happy days! That was it for the night though.

First of many hopefully.

Well done and just a nice size for the oven! I used to bake them with Butter, ginger and spring onion in the cavity in a baco foil envelope the aroma when they were ready to eat was amazing.

Sounds good Jambop (y) I use foil to form a giant pasty shaped envelope to steam bass in lemon and Pernod like this-

Gut and remove gills, trim off fins (strong scissors/shears help) but leave tail and head on

Form a good sized trivit/elongated mound of 2/3/4 thinly sliced lemons - you can use a kitchen mandolin to slice them staight onto the foil and thus capture all the juice BUT watch you don't loose your finger tips! - and the vital bit - pour over a good measure or two of Pernod

Splay the body cavity open and place over the mounded trivit so the fish sits upright, as if swimming

Form the pasty shaped envelope and crimp the edges well to hold in the steam

Bake in a medium hot oven for about 25 mins

Capture all those cooking juices to dress the flesh. Try it served with salad or new potatoes and steamed asparagus etc - food of the gods imo and I'm not a huge fan of eating fish!

Same basically but the different flavourings I go for the far eastern flavour yours is what the French would do :ROFLMAO: Mind youI I'll not knock a Pastis though I would never drink Pernod ever! In order its Ricard, Duval, 51 descending through many and Pernod would be the last chance saloon ... it is poor pastis !

Would not drink any of the anise spirits myself but it does make a great bass steam with the lemons. Doubt Jura would do much for any fish? Enjoy whatever sinks your boat :LOL:

Sounds good Jambop (y) I use foil to form a giant pasty shaped envelope to steam bass in lemon and Pernod like this-

Gut and remove gills, trim off fins (strong scissors/shears help) but leave tail and head on

Form a good sized trivit/elongated mound of 2/3/4 thinly sliced lemons - you can use a kitchen mandolin to slice them staight onto the foil and thus capture all the juice BUT watch you don't loose your finger tips! - and the vital bit - pour over a good measure or two of Pernod

Splay the body cavity open and place over the mounded trivit so the fish sits upright, as if swimming

Form the pasty shaped envelope and crimp the edges well to hold in the steam

Bake in a medium hot oven for about 25 mins

Capture all those cooking juices to dress the flesh. Try it served with salad or new potatoes and steamed asparagus etc - food of the gods imo and I'm not a huge fan of eating fish!
Sounds outstanding. Do you remove the scales beforehand?

I generally don't for steaming but always do for fillets that I fry after coating n a peppered flour.(try a light mix of szechuan pepper and 5 spice - don't over do it iwith either imo) I stick to a roughly 3.5lb to 6lb 'slot size' for the few that I do take but would scale any bigger fish no matter what the cooking method. I'll also mention that any pastis and lemon leftovers go really nicely in a risotto

Back