• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

First time out in 25+ years

It certainly is muddy, I've watched the emergency services practicing getting people off of the mud there. I bet they get hosed down before they even think about changing their clothes!

Certainly worth a look though thankyou, any other suggestions would be much appreciated too; are any of the other marks from roughly the humber to Louth less of a trudge up and down?

Vern fishes from a car park near the humber bridge what about there? Muddy so you won't be able to dig worm but looks to be less of a chase up and down.
I used to fish the Humber Estuary, south bank, from the bridge down to Cleethorpes. It's blue slippery clay, that's why there used to be so many brick and tile works along the bank. You can walk out on it in most places without fear of sinking but as I said it's slippery. I used to take my gear on a sledge to keep stuff out of the mud. Further down from East Halton Skitter there's a sea wall down as far as Grimsby that you can fish from over high although some good fish can be caught at low. It used to be flounder, silver eels and eelpout in summer and the same plus whiting and codling in winter, very little else although sole were caught if you targeted them.

I used to fish at what we called Winter's Farm at East Halton quite a bit in winter
and here in summer

Tidal currents can be strong but big casts are not necessary to catch fish. I think the river is cleaner now and bass and other fish have moved in.
It was in the eighties when I last fished there but I don't suppose much has changed.

One tip I learnt back then, fish for what you know will be there rather than what you hope is there.
Smaller hooks for example, I didn't catch sole on 1/0 hooks chucked as far as I could but did on size 4 close in. Flounders, eels etc were as happy taking size 4s as anything else.
I prefer catching anything to sitting all day waiting for the big one.

It certainly is muddy, I've watched the emergency services practicing getting people off of the mud there. I bet they get hosed down before they even think about changing their clothes!

Certainly worth a look though thankyou, any other suggestions would be much appreciated too; are any of the other marks from roughly the humber to Louth less of a trudge up and down?
Don't know Rich only commenting on what I have seen on you tube via Vern.

Not sure if Graeme Pullen has fished around there Totally Awesome fishing?

Either that lads on here maybe, not sure who is from your neck of the woods though.

Vern fishes from a car park near the humber bridge what about there? Muddy so you won't be able to dig worm but looks to be less of a chase up and down.

Just watched that one too, certainly looks less effort - I can't decide which side of the humber he was though, I'll get on Google maps

Other bits and pieces I've seen online suggest skeggy fishes well but I'd rather not have too much of an audience

Thanks again for all the help so far everyone ?

Just watched that one too, certainly looks less effort - I can't decide which side of the humber he was though, I'll get on Google maps

Other bits and pieces I've seen online suggest skeggy fishes well but I'd rather not have too much of an audience

Thanks again for all the help so far everyone ?
Vern fishes the south bank of the Humber, Rich at Stallingborough. I actually appear in one of his vids when I wandered down to have a chat whilst waiting for the tide. I didn’t know who he was at the time. I certainly would advise not to try fishing there for your first attempt as parts of it are horrendous tackle graveyards and most of it you need to know what you are doing as there are lines of rocky kelp parall el to the shore. Stick to any of the venues I have mentioned before, fish 2 or 3 hours up, over and a couple down and you won’t be chasing the tide too much.

Thankyou goatfish, I'd come to the conclusion it could well be chowderness in that particular video

As it happens, after lots of YouTube and reading, I'd been thinking lower in the tide might be best as it seems crabs are less of a problem? So, 2up and 2 or 3 down sounds like a good idea.

I'm still looking but, using the Ariel view, which looks to have been taken at low tide. I can see a few spots that look to have water for much longer - I'm not sure it's the right approach but I may well try one of those

Think I mislead you Rich.......I meant the last couple hours of the flood, over high water then a couple or so down is what I normally do. Then you get the depth of water and don’t have to keep moving base.
But.....the best thing is just to go and have a fish. You will work things out for yourself, which is by far the best way. Everyone you speak to will give you different advice as we have all developed our own preferences.
When you do go, have a great session......

That's ok mate, Thursday's looking about the best weather this week and, with the tide times, traffic etc, I'll probably end up there from around 7pm anyway (about an hour before high tide)

Last edited:
That's ok mate, Thursday's looking about the best weather this week and, with the tide times, traffic etc, I'll probably end up there from around 7pm anyway (about an hour before high tide)

RICH

huttoft, left hand side when you get to the hut at the top
some cracking gulleys n bank areas, aim to be fishing in the gullies at high water, so set yourself in the right location to begin with
fishes well from last 2 hrs of the ebb up to high and an hr or 2 down
seems to be a blank spell the middle 2 hrs of the ebb

bait wise, mackeral will catch bits, BUT, you will do far better with a squid n bluey this time of year, which, can be bought from dud at the bungalow opposite chapel point cafe

whitebait a waste of time and money

5--6 oz grippers will be a must this week as the building tides will not allow a plain lead to be used
1/0 2/0 hooks fine n dandy

tide on the up will run left to right looking out to sea, and visa versa on the ebb

few wraps of frozen blacks wouldnt go a miss either

species at present coming off there are
dabs
flounder
bass
odd whiting
doggies
few thornbacks and IF it settles its arse this week, the smoothounds MAY push back inshore

dont write off any time during the up or down tide, it can surprise, especially over the last hr down, over low and the first up

weed can be a pain with too much south in the wind, and reverse tide flow on the ebb can be a proper b45tard if theres a northerly swell running like there was at the weekend

anything ive forgot?, just post away

kris

ps, dont bother taking a fork with ya, as theres no worm on the sand at huttoft at the moment, and not a great deal to forage to use

Loads of info! Thankyou Kris ?

Sounds like it's not going to be a particularly easy trip, I'll give it a decent shot though. Doesn't have to be huttoft, is wolla bank worth a go? Or anywhere else that'd be a better bet? From immingham to huttoft they're all about the same distance for me (or, not enough difference to worry about)

Loads of info! Thankyou Kris ?

Sounds like it's not going to be a particularly easy trip, I'll give it a decent shot though. Doesn't have to be huttoft, is wolla bank worth a go? Or anywhere else that'd be a better bet? From immingham to huttoft they're all about the same distance for me (or, not enough difference to worry about)
All marks from skeg to Sutton will produce the Same and vary very little from each other
Immingham? Leave till October when the whiting n codling start
Flatties n odd eel and odd bass, but not a viable target

as for anything plastic , leave that for the sunny south coast where the waters clear and the fishermen are ghey rubber n plastic chuckers ?????

Last edited:
Anyone know about the parking permits (overnight)? I've just applied so doubt it'll get through in time, do they bother with it?

Just a note for anyone wanting to apply for one, it's valid until 19th June as, apparently, they're looking to start charging for them from then on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjPi5HG9Ul_RGGq-mW1Pa5X3xmZOZzUv/view?usp=drivesdk

Needs to be sent to; placecoastalcarparks@lincolnshire.gov.uk

fcuk the permits mate lol :)
soon as the holiday muppets start turning up, its off the beaten tracks for me, and all under cover of darkness
2--3 nights a week, spread from south of skeg up to hornsea on the holderness
all depends on what mood im in, and what i feel the need to target n cull at that precise moment ☠️☠️

? fair play, I was just trying to make sure all runs smoothly....I might not have the option by tomorrow anyway

they can only be knobheads about it if you have actually gone under their height restriction barriers and into the car parks

park outside the car park before the barrier n theres fook all they can do about it ( overnite )
day time, different matter with the ticket b4stards n double yellow patrols during muppet season

Cool, thankyou ?

Still trying to keep an open mind, is Grimsby dock worth a look? Pretty sure I heard you can fish the shore side of it, was a while ago now though

Back