• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

First time out.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I went out into Bouldner Bay, just west of Yarmouth IOW, for my first expedition in my new boat.
The weather was forecast as force 1/2, no rain and clearing to some sunshine so it was an opportunity not to be missed. That said there was ice in the bottom of the boat and a very hard frost here at 6.30am.
The times when I could have gone recently have coincided with other stuff so I've been disappointed and unable to go.
I met with my friend, who launched into Yarmouth Harbour, and set off for my first solo boat trip having been on quite a few boats in the past but never totally in charge.
The sea was like a mirror and the sun burnt off the mist as we left the harbour and headed a mile and a half along the coast.
We dropped anchors and it didn't take long for the first rattle on the rod tip. First trip and it's not going to be a blank!
Strap conger, almost inevitably, still a fish is fish.
Not long after another knock and this time a reasonable whiting. Having fished south Kent for 25 years I have had my fair share of ting and rarely were they big enough to shout about, this one was a monster by comparison.
For the next hour or so the fish came regularly and between us we had seven keepers, and as many went back. All of the fish that were returned would have been a decent shore caught whiting.
The tide was slow on the flood, when we caught most of the fish, but picked up as it turned and it was difficult to keep a bait on the bottom and the fish seemed to go off the feed.
Time for home so sat back and gave it some welly. Navionics recorded 23.5 mph as top speed.
Loads learned and special thanks to my friend Mike for showing me the ropes. Plenty of small cock ups nothing serious but good experience.
One big thing learned was that my Tohatsu 15hp does not like going into neutral so mooring up was interesting to say the least. Investigation needed.
Fish are all filleted and I'm now waiting for my next opportunity, which as it's January, may be a while.

Well done on your trip, and great to catch and have some keepers.

Not sure what mooring you have, i had a mooring in a drying out estuary and it took a bit of getting used to to pick the buoy up with the tide running, but soon found it easy by just pulling along side and tying the rope to the back and then moving after.

Ian
Are you on a swinging mooring or a berth. If the former a couple of suggestions (forgive me if you know these tips).

Fix a length of rope from an anchor point e.g bow cleat. Feed the rope through the bow where the mooring line comes through & feed it back on the outside to where you pick up the mooring buoy with the boat hook & give a bit extra. Put a caribina clip on that end of it.

Approach the buoy moving up the tide against it which is easier to adjust speed etc (if there is any) and make sure any wind will push you more towards it than away. Pick up the mooring buoy and clip the caribina onto it (catching rope) . You then let go of the attached rope - let it settle (turn engine off ?). Boat is going nowhere so no rush - then go to the bow and pull in the mooring rope. This is much safer than trying to take a mooring buoy rope round to its securing point.

I can send a rough diagram if you wish.

Well done on your first solo trip, glad that you caught,??, sorry can't help with your engine prob,hope you get it sorted easily & cheaply, report made good reading, tight lines for next time mate

Well done on your first solo trip, glad that you caught,??, sorry can't help with your engine prob,hope you get it sorted easily & cheaply, report made good reading, tight lines for next time mate
Ahem, cough cough, ahem.......whiting.

Well done on your Maiden voyage Ian - great report! ????

Great to christen the new boat and there's always stuff to learn at sea but I've got to ask.... 23mph from a 15hp? Is it a motorised kayak?
That is what i thought, so on second thoughts was thinking it was his aux and he was using that at the mooring.
May be @Ianpick can confirm

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220119-120258_Boating.jpg
Track log from Navionics.
I was told I'd get 20 knots quite easily so 23 mph didn't surprise me. On a flat sea it planes nicely and was very stable.
I hit a few bumpy bits which were a bit uncomfortable so slowed up a bit.
Caught up with and passed my friend who's record showed 17 mph.

I'm moored on a dry out pontoon so dependent on tides to get out.
I've had a look at the gear linkages this morning and there is some resistance in them so there will be the first place to look when it stops raining.

@Ianpick What boat have you got? Sorry if you’ve posted somewhere else but I’ve missed it.

Pan's Marine P355.

This is a video of me test driving a P355 with 10hp Mercury on the back.

Loads of videos on YouTube, most of which are Turkish, (where they are made).

Watch them being dragged along a dirt track, dropped from height, hit with a sledgehammer and being used to park a tractor on.

Mines gunmetal grey.

@Ianpick Thanks, a 10hp should run all week at full chat with that fuel tank :D. Nice boat and tough by sounds of it. Have fun and stay safe mate.

Back