• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Coast First timers Largs/Saltcoats area

TheSoapDodger

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice if possible. Friend and I heading out Tuesday afternoon to give sea fishing a bash.
Based on East Kilbride so think the closest area is likely out West Coast and seen some positive things about Saltcoats and Largs areas.

Basically want to make sure we stay safe and don’t fall foul of any locals or rules around fishing areas and also give ourselves a fair chance at getting a catch or two.

So firstly if anyone can recommend anywhere around this area to try (or avoid) from the shore any advice is appreciated.

Secondly I’m planning on taking my spinner along, it’s only 7ft and lightweight but hoping I can get some use out itHave a variety of mepps and soft lures (small ones for perch etc), would these take well to the sea? If not any recommendations on what would work well would be great.

Seen sandeel lures but at a glance they look similar to paddle tail types I already have. Just wondered if there’s maybe a go to type experienced folk use.

Not targeting anything in particular (though would love a Dogfish) just want to get some catches under our belts somewhere different.

again all help and advice gratefully appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I unfortunately don't know the area but would suggest a google, fishing at largs or fishing at salcoats if you don't get any specific responses. It may not give current catches but the marks to fish don't really change.

Cheers guys,

Had a look online found a vid of some lads fishing the rocks off the largs marina (but seen elsewhere youre not allowed to fish the marina so not sure lol) also seen a few mentions of the pencil and shingle point so seems a few marks round there to give it a go.

Will grab a few sandeel lures before heading out to give them a bash

Checked weather report, all looks clear and we should arrive just at high tide when I finish work so heres hoping.

Have you got bait gear aswell ? Dogfish feed on the bottom most the time.
Don't know the area but pollock mackerel and bass will have lures , everything else on the bottom generally speaking

Yeh will be bringing some bait gear too.

I seen dogfish are apparently not fussy so is it just any sort will do? (Prawns or any smaller fish we catch?)

I catch dogfish on lug, squid and mackerel mate, they seem to have a preference for fish baits, but I still pick them up on lug when general fishing

Your perch lures will work fine. The mepps type spinners will often catch when the bigger sandeel/shad type lures are not catching. The will gi\/e you a chance of small pollock, cod. coley, and mackerel and \/arious wrasse species Dogs are not fussy and will take most baits, the fresher the better though usually although I don't think they are that common up there,

cheers guys, bag is all packed for tomorrow and raring to go.

Was going to drop by the angling centre but reckon i have enough for us to give it a fair shot and anything we are missing we can learn for next time when we are more organised.

Think the plan is to hit portencross pier first then work up the coast north through largs to red rocks just for an explore then will probs venture to millport next time when we have more than half a day out and about.

cheers guys, bag is all packed for tomorrow and raring to go.

Was going to drop by the angling centre but reckon i have enough for us to give it a fair shot and anything we are missing we can learn for next time when we are more organised.

Think the plan is to hit portencross pier first then work up the coast north through largs to red rocks just for an explore then will probs venture to millport next time when we have more than half a day out and about.
Splash Sports is your best bet for bait and information on the area you will be targetting.
They are in Ardrossan close to the harbour.
There are a few marks worth fishing in the area. Your very best bet for fish at Portencross is wrasse that you can take on float fished bait, ragworm being the very best. The best marks are past the pier towards Hunterston power station. You can also park at the power station bringing you closer to the pollack/wrasse marks. You can also spin for mackerel and pollack along there.
Tight lines and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Splash Sports is your best bet for bait and information on the area you will be targetting.
They are in Ardrossan close to the harbour.
There are a few marks worth fishing in the area. Your very best bet for fish at Portencross is wrasse that you can take on float fished bait, ragworm being the very best. The best marks are past the pier towards Hunterston power station. You can also park at the power station bringing you closer to the pollack/wrasse marks. You can also spin for mackerel and pollack along there.
Tight lines and welcome to the forum.
This is amazingly helpful. Is this the car park you mean? The others seem to be tagged as staff car parks

1628575570004.png

just home now, we ended up not leaving the portencross area at all. Pier was jumping when we arrived (literally weans jumping off it as well as a few fisherfolk) so we walked up the coast towards the power plant trying a few marks from the rocks but was pretty grim. Lot of seaweed and didn’t seem very deep and everything was getting tangled.

mate caught what we think was a small Wrasse? With a prawn, Picture below, spiky, toothy unpleasant wee thing lol

we were going to head back to the car and drive further up through Largs but when we got to the pier someone had just left and the kids were all drying off so we figured we would chance it.

Very glad we did. After trying a variety of lures and spinners we loaded up the bait rods. I tried out some squid, mate used prawns again and there was only one winner. Lot of small cod and pollock at the end of the pier were going mental for the prawns so I swiftly switched out to join the winning team.

ended up on 4 small pollock and 1 cod and my mate was in double figures but nothing trophy/photo worthy.

Sadly first fish I caught took the hook at a bad angle right through its eye, I ended up chapping it as felt it was the kindest thing then figured would try it as bait on the big rod we had but it didn’t yield Anything (pretty sure crabs picked it clean)

was a couple young lads on the other side with similar idea to me using squid and had no luck at all but we shared the prawns and they finished on a handful each as well as a bonus crab and a larger version of the fish in the photo below but was a light brown colour.

All in all great day, I’ve been out about 8 times this year on local rivers and the canals and blanked every time so was glad to finally get some fish on the board for the year even if it was tiddlers.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

F7BB0BD1-6743-41D8-9E44-9CF61EE4DBBF.jpeg88845C9D-3C49-4898-8DF2-C68EBE1201E5.jpegC74554D3-1AA7-4BE9-932D-41DC321AFFDB.jpeg

Great first report on your Talk Sea Fishing debut.
Your fish in the photo is not a wrasse, it's a goby.
Well a lesson for me, I wouldn't have tried the pier:rolleyes:. Never been good to me in 60 years:oops:

Back