• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales First Trip For Ages

Timbc2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well it’s not been the start to fishing that I’d hoped for this year. I drove down for my first trip of the year in April, eager and raring to go but my car had a catastrophic breakdown and so that put an end to that attempt. Since then I havn’t been able to go until now.

My second attempt was a few days ago in my recently acquired new chariot. It’s been that long since I fished (early December) that I’ve found it very hard to motivate myself to even put a rig together but luckily I’d done some prep before the April attempt so I did have some stuff ready thankfully.

First day I decided to just ease in to things and do a bit of macky bashing. I picked somewhere I’d not seen anyone mentioned for ages so I thought maybe this could be where the mackerel are hiding. I was wrong, they weren’t there either. I did keep getting small Pollack on the feathers though.
I’d got a beach caster with me and in the end, couldn’t resist putting out a big bait. Wrong time of tide I thought, as I was late getting up, but thought feck it may as well. Nowt happened on that though. Ended up meeting a decent lad called Dion who gave me a bit of bait. Top lad – much appreciated fella!

Next day me and the GF walked up Moel y Gest. Views were ace:

Moel y Gest 1.jpg

Moel y Gest 2.jpg

It was interesting seeing how the estuary emptied and to see where the channels were. The main one had dried out and looks like it was draining more through the nearside channel :

Moel y Gest 3.jpg

Later that evening I nipped down to Gimlet to do a quick hour spinning for mackerel before darkness but gave up after half an hour of no joy. I’d spoke to a pair of guys on my arrival who said they had not seen any come out that day.

Day 3 - Some of the mojo had come back by now and I got up early to get on a proper tope spot but went out to the car to find two bloody big cracks in my windscreen. I couldn’t believe it! I was totally gutted, again thwarted by motor trouble and I’d had the car literally just a few days.

This has never happened to me before, so I wasn’t totally sure of the best way to sort it out. A fair bit of feckin about later, having spoke to a really helpful guy Steve of Gwynnedd Windscreens I was told I could actually still use it.
I’d missed the favoured window of time where I was planning to try so had to do plan B instead. It was baking on the rocks:

Ledge.jpg

I didn’t continually spin for all of my time there as it was too flippin’ hot. I only caught one mackerel during the session but there was plenty of small Pollack to be had on the feathers or spinners:

Pollack 1.jpg

With the odd not too bad one:

Pollack 2.jpg

No joy on the tope this time.
It was a good trip in a way as it’s got me back into the swing of things more but frustrating because I’d forgotten to do stuff as part of my usual routines or forgotten to take bits of kit I then wanted - and obviously the windscreen cracking was a major bummer too, but I’ll be back down in the near future to try again.

Cheers for reading
Tim

Great report n pics I wish I could catch a small pollack like that ?

I can beat you on the haven’t been fishing for ages line , august 2019

Cracking report mate love the colour of that kelp pollock almost black ?

Well done for getting out Tim. Hopefully it will inspire you to go again soon

Back