• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West First trip since December

Oh alright, I better do a bit more but there’s little to report.
Joined @Christurner plus Rock Marks (who I believe isn’t on here?) and another friend for a crack at an earlyish surf beach ray at Putsborough in North Devon.

Clearly we parked in the right place!

122CDCF0-113C-437A-913F-9AC606F35626.jpeg

Oh yea, fishing..,

April isn’t too early for a small eyed on this beach but March/early April can be a bit hit n miss.

When I threw my gear together that evening I was thinking in ‘surf beach mode’ which unfortunately also extended to my ‘summer’ gear of a hoodie and light goretex waterproof jacket and waders.
How dumb?!
As soon I stepped out the car I knew it was going to be a miserable night as far as the temperature went.
Sea conditions weren’t actually too bad at all. Surf was a little bigger than I’d choose but not by much - certainly suitable for ray.

Met up with the guys on the beach and for the next 3-4 hours we had eight rods baited with sandeel in the water at various ranges.
Not a single bite.
My bait was the £4 a pack eels I’d bought earlier and they were coming back the same way they went out.
Alex, the fourth friend, found a couple of small eels in the sand so they were about, which usually means the ray are.

3B0CD25A-4D06-4FB5-B57C-75D0A75249AC.jpeg
About the only pic I took on the beach, there was nothing to photograph!

The surf was damn cold and by low water at 10.30 I was ready to give up!
We all stuck it out to just before midnight and an hour plus of the flood, but absolutely zilch.

The second pack of eels never defrosted really and they went back in the freezer pretty much solid!

I have to say I had zero motivation once I was there. Cold, crap fishing. Spent most of the time chatting to the others and not too fussed about my rods - not like a ray is going to do much with the drag set anyway.

I dragged myself out more to do that than caring much about going fishing and tbh that didn’t improve.
The only bit that was worthwhile was catching up with the other guys.

I need to try and find some mojo, but definitely on a warmer evening!

Well done for getting out Tony. Shame nothing was tempted by your offerings, but you made a good effort, and I dare say all of you enjoyed a natter & were glad of each others company. I have to confess to also being a bit of a fair weather fishing person - the cold air doesn't do my breathing any favours and I detest getting wet. ??

Well done for getting out Tony. Shame nothing was tempted by your offerings, but you made a good effort, and I dare say all of you enjoyed a natter & were glad of each others company. I have to confess to also being a bit of a fair weather fishing person - the cold air doesn't do my breathing any favours and I detest getting wet. ??
Cheers mate. I don’t usually mind the cold TOO much if something is happening.
The irony is if I’d given it a bit more thought and taken my floaty suit jacket instead it would have been fine.
During the day going in and out in the sun it was okay and I just didn’t really think. Doh!

The full report, dodgy parking signs round your way chap. You went and gave it a shot, better luck next time.

Jesus ?you went fishing and rockmarks was there were any wet wipes involved ???? it’s bloody cold atm I’ve gone back to trousers at work first time ever must be getting old ?? And at least you seemed to have have enjoyed getting out on the beach again .....god your a miserable old sod ??????well done for giveing it a go ... but if I know rockmarks wet wipes were definitely involved ??????

Well done mr fish you did well to get martyn and Chris out fishing , we haven’t heard from them since last year . Were there any wet wipes involved ???

Last edited:
Oh alright, I better do a bit more but there’s little to report.
Joined @Christurner plus Rock Marks (who I believe isn’t on here?) and another friend for a crack at an earlyish surf beach ray at Putsborough in North Devon.

Clearly we parked in the right place!

View attachment 8170

Oh yea, fishing..,

April isn’t too early for a small eyed on this beach but March/early April can be a bit hit n miss.

When I threw my gear together that evening I was thinking in ‘surf beach mode’ which unfortunately also extended to my ‘summer’ gear of a hoodie and light goretex waterproof jacket and waders.
How dumb?!
As soon I stepped out the car I knew it was going to be a miserable night as far as the temperature went.
Sea conditions weren’t actually too bad at all. Surf was a little bigger than I’d choose but not by much - certainly suitable for ray.

Met up with the guys on the beach and for the next 3-4 hours we had eight rods baited with sandeel in the water at various ranges.
Not a single bite.
My bait was the £4 a pack eels I’d bought earlier and they were coming back the same way they went out.
Alex, the fourth friend, found a couple of small eels in the sand so they were about, which usually means the ray are.

View attachment 8171
About the only pic I took on the beach, there was nothing to photograph!

The surf was damn cold and by low water at 10.30 I was ready to give up!
We all stuck it out to just before midnight and an hour plus of the flood, but absolutely zilch.

The second pack of eels never defrosted really and they went back in the freezer pretty much solid!

I have to say I had zero motivation once I was there. Cold, crap fishing. Spent most of the time chatting to the others and not too fussed about my rods - not like a ray is going to do much with the drag set anyway.

I dragged myself out more to do that than caring much about going fishing and tbh that didn’t improve.
The only bit that was worthwhile was catching up with the other guys.

I need to try and find some mojo, but definitely on a warmer evening!
It's hard to get the old mojo going when everything is against you like that Tony. A few fish or better weather will soon lift spirits!

Well done cfish, you did well to get martyn and Chris out fishing , we haven’t heard from them since last year . Were there any wet wipes involved ???
Cfish??? Feck me, he gets in on everything, even when he's not there! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think you mean Mr Fish John. :rolleyes::LOL:

Well done on braving it Mr Fish, Rockmarks mentioned to me that it was rather pants session, but got a give it a go, dont catch sat on the sofa, but think you would have sooner been on the sofa instead out that night.

Johns getting old mste
Your right there, he forgot to catch some fish when we went out the other night too! :oops:

Well done on braving it Mr Fish, Rockmarks mentioned to me that it was rather pants session, but got a give it a go, dont catch sat on the sofa, but think you would have sooner been on the sofa instead out that night.

Your right there, he forgot to catch some fish when we went out the other night too! :oops:
Don't say that Bob - I might be watching John drown some worms later tonight! ??

Back