• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Fishing into the evening

Ranculos

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
An unexpected trip out with Bernie the bolt to what seems to be a favourite mark of ours, we arrived just before high tide with no idea on how it would fish as we have normally fished this mark closer to low tide. I had just gone from mono to braid so i was pretty cautious with how things would go. within the first couple of casts I landed a small pollock while I was reeling in Bernie landed himself a nice sized mackerel! I think we both got a bit more enthused that there were some mackerel about.

I spent pretty much all of the time using metal lures that kept the pollock coming, it wasn't long until I got into my first mackerel of the evening, It was refreshing to catch one on the new lure gear, I had not realised how much fight they have in them on such light gear, a few hours went by with lots of takes and a few more fish for us both. In total I managed to land 5 pollock and 4 mackerel weighing up to 1.1lb. Bernie had a few pollock and took two mackerel for the table.

It was yet another great fishing session and a great laugh between us, I am shocked at the size of the mackerel, compared to the ones I purchased from the local tackle shop, 3 in a pack and the biggest mackerel i had seemed to weigh as much as the 3 small ones from the shop. I am now stocked up a little more for bait!

We did have another angler arrive on the mark not long before we were leaving, It did leave me a little puzzled as he was using a reel with barely any line on it, you would hear the line rasping on the reel with each cast. I did ask him about the line where he informed me he had new line in his bag but couldn't be bothered to put it on. There is not a lot you can say to that one! I did forget to take pictures of the mackerel!IMG_20210611_182144.jpgIMG_20210611_164910.jpgIMG_20210611_170257.jpg

Nice report & photos Ranc! Looking forward to finding some Mackerel myself - long time no fry! ??

An unexpected trip out with Bernie the bolt to what seems to be a favourite mark of ours, we arrived just before high tide with no idea on how it would fish as we have normally fished this mark closer to low tide. I had just gone from mono to braid so i was pretty cautious with how things would go. within the first couple of casts I landed a small pollock while I was reeling in Bernie landed himself a nice sized mackerel! I think we both got a bit more enthused that there were some mackerel about.

I spent pretty much all of the time using metal lures that kept the pollock coming, it wasn't long until I got into my first mackerel of the evening, It was refreshing to catch one on the new lure gear, I had not realised how much fight they have in them on such light gear, a few hours went by with lots of takes and a few more fish for us both. In total I managed to land 5 pollock and 4 mackerel weighing up to 1.1lb. Bernie had a few pollock and took two mackerel for the table.

It was yet another great fishing session and a great laugh between us, I am shocked at the size of the mackerel, compared to the ones I purchased from the local tackle shop, 3 in a pack and the biggest mackerel i had seemed to weigh as much as the 3 small ones from the shop. I am now stocked up a little more for bait!

We did have another angler arrive on the mark not long before we were leaving, It did leave me a little puzzled as he was using a reel with barely any line on it, you would hear the line rasping on the reel with each cast. I did ask him about the line where he informed me he had new line in his bag but couldn't be bothered to put it on. There is not a lot you can say to that one! I did forget to take pictures of the mackerel!View attachment 10497View attachment 10498View attachment 10499
Well done ranc it’s good to get the rod bending mate

Nice report & photos Ranc! Looking forward to finding some Mackerel myself - long time no fry! ??
Fingers crossed mate, they don't seem to be around in any numbers, but just catching a couple can do all the difference in boosting confidence

Back