• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing line Winder Spooler.

Colin Chaplin

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Ok the normal pen in spool of line, get the girlfriend, wife, partner, shoe box, bucket of water, chest of drawers etc, all been there, to load the reel with line. Had different spoolers, but seen this one on You Tube and FB, and so i had to buy one, who doesn't buy fishing tackle?. Piscifun Fishing Line Winder Spooler, does both Fixed spool and Multipliers reel, easy set up for the tension and different size spools of line. Quick easy to use and you can do it yourself.

Last edited:
Sink full of water for me, given up with line spoolers.

Is there any benefits using these modern contraptions or is it just easier spooling the reel without any help?

I find it handy as you can tighten the clamps either side of the spool of line to tension the line going onto the reel. Very handy with braid on fixed spool reels for my lure angling.
Also can easily do it alone with the spooling station, well worth the money.

I find it handy as you can tighten the clamps either side of the spool of line to tension the line going onto the reel. Very handy with braid on fixed spool reels for my lure angling.
Also can easily do it alone with the spooling station, well worth the money.
Thanks for the info I might have to have a look ?

I use the Berkley spooling station, I like to wind braid on nice and tight and it works well enough. I just put the reel on a rod and run the line through a butt ring. I don't mount the reel on the station itself. Came with a line stripper as well which is great for ripping old mono off sharpish straight into a gash bag.

I just put the reel on a rod butt and hold the line tight against the rod under a bit of tension as I wind.

Never occurred to me to do it any other way tbh

I bought a cheapy spooler, just makes things a little easier, and stops the line spool running around the floor. Having had issues with wind Knots with Braid, I have read & seen so much Guff about line off the end of the spool or spool at right angles to the reel, line wet or dry, etc. I gave up, (and gave up with Braid), bought one of these and just clamp it to the coffee table (suction cup is crap) and put the reel on a rod butt.
Wind, wind, wind, job done!

Line spooler.jpg

Never used one, I have a humin one in Merrylegs , but what I have started doing is I Spag the braid in water, before spooling, and when putting on the new line I have the butt section with reel in one hand and in the other a damp cloth, with the braid running though it, so can keep tent ion and Merrylegs keeps tension on her side. Works fine.

For me the wind knots used to come with the reel I had , the faster the osalation is of the reel the more of and angle on the line lay, shimarno for me solved that with a slower osalation giving it a straight line lay, the reason I find for wind knots is that the lure or swivel jams and the line starts to twist, then I have them again. But some lip barm on the knot makes it easy to tug it loose again

The fact that a lot of people are neglecting to mention on this thread is that a spool holder is fine to use if you are taking line off a spool onto a multiplier reel, but if you use one when putting line onto a fixed spool reel then every turn of the handle is actually adding twist into the line on the spool!

When putting line onto a fixed spool, the line needs to come off the side of the spool, in the same direction that it is going onto the reel. (You just turn the line container around to get it to come off in the opposite direction if need be.) Some spool holders do have a feature enabling them to turn the spool sideways but they often don't have any method of then tensioning the line.

I will post a picture up later of my home-made fixed spool line loader.

The fact that a lot of people are neglecting to mention on this thread is that a spool holder is fine to use if you are taking line off a spool onto a multiplier reel, but if you use one when putting line onto a fixed spool reel then every turn of the handle is actually adding twist into the line on the spool!

When putting line onto a fixed spool, the line needs to come off the side of the spool, in the same direction that it is going onto the reel. (You just turn the line container around to get it to come off in the opposite direction if need be.) Some spool holders do have a feature enabling them to turn the spool sideways but they often don't have any method of then tensioning the line.

I will post a picture up later of my home-made fixed spool line loader.
That is a very good point you have made.

I don't use multipliers any more, only FS. But would you say it matters turning the spool to the side between braid and mono?

Reason I ask is I don't turn the spool on its side any more with braid, and don't use mono either.

I check for twists in the line as I go but don't have any, but don't suffer from wind knots either , had enough of that over time and couldn't fish at night with out trusting what I was doning , now it's totally different and never worry

That is a very good point you have made.

I don't use multipliers any more, only FS. But would you say it matters turning the spool to the side between braid and mono?

Reason I ask is I don't turn the spool on its side any more with braid, and don't use mono either.

I check for twists in the line as I go but don't have any and don't suffer from wind knots
That's a good question and one I asked myself a few years ago when I first started using braid for my pike fishing.

Braid certainly doesn't seem to twist as badly as mono, but it does twist. Braid is actually constructed with several fibres that then have more fibres twisted (braided) around the outside, and when looked at under a microscope the twists all tend to be in the same direction, so I would guess that the amount of twist in your line would be determined by whether you were twisting against the natural braid direction or with it.

If you hold a length of braid in between two fingers of each hand and then try spinning them in opposite directions, the braid very quickly twists, and once released, it doesn't automatically twist fully back, like a piece of mono does.

I have used several brands, with Powerpro being my favourite so far, but I always put it onto fixed spool reels with the 'off side' method, just in case.

I bought a cheapy spooler, just makes things a little easier, and stops the line spool running around the floor. Having had issues with wind Knots with Braid, I have read & seen so much Guff about line off the end of the spool or spool at right angles to the reel, line wet or dry, etc. I gave up, (and gave up with Braid), bought one of these and just clamp it to the coffee table (suction cup is crap) and put the reel on a rod butt.
Wind, wind, wind, job done!

View attachment 585
Got something similar.
For stripping line I put a screw into an empty plastic pop bottle lid then clamp the screw in the cordless drill chuck then just whizz the line off?

Back