• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Coast Flattie Session

Gordon28

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Decided to have a bash for flatties with a mate yesterday seeing as we're finally free ?. Choice of venue: St Andrews West Sands. Arrive about 2hrs before low tide with intensions of scanning around for all kinds of fish loving features as hadn't seen this beach in god knows how long... straight away we spy a nice big gully starting to form as it empties, great! location sorted! Grabs the gear and gets set up. 1st rod loop rig fished out at range 2nd rod 1 up 1 down chucked around 40yds. coffee time! literally just take a mouthful out of it and the rod starts rattling (sods law) 1st flounder of the day, tiny little bugger no bigger than a gnats b*****k. but its a fish. Happy days the blanks off!
fullsizeoutput_7e5.jpeg
another 25mins pass and the rod goes again another at around 23cm. one after the other a range of flounders emerge ranging from greedy postage stamps to 25cm. after a while, I decide to try and have some lunch only to be hit by a couple of doublers (again sods law at work)fullsizeoutput_82c.jpeg
Decided to fish up until high with the bites slowing down more and more as the beach was filling.
biggest fish 27cm for me and 28cm for my mate. All in all a great day with 18 caught between us.

Staying until high tide was the right choice as we were given one of our favorite views as anglers which made me realise exactly why i love and have missed fishing on the beach.
2TI3avL2T3Wu94vIPCM3gA.jpg
Whtn+eWrSRmFmTs%FKBTkQ.jpg

Nice wee session you had there, while they weren't the lunker you were after they look in good condition and quite chunky. ?
i was actually pretty surprised how chunky they were as they're normally flat as a pancake and spent once they come back in.

Well done Gordon28, we have walked that beach many times and occasionally saw someone fishing. I always have a chat with fisher guys and every one said they had blanked. So great to hear of your success.

Back