• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Flies that catch anglers.

Kine262

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have been cleaning my fly boxes out, ready for a trip on Thursday and I found these epoxy fry patterns. I have had them for a couple of years but have never got round to using them. I think, out of the three or four hundred flies I must have, I normally only ever use about twenty patterns at most.

IMG_3022.jpg

Those epoxy minnows are lethal for small coalfish and Mackies. They also work very well when rainbows/Brownies are herding fry in against the shore. Three feet under a sight indicator, just cast out into the melee and do nothing apart from wait for the indicator to go under.

I have been cleaning my fly boxes out, ready for a trip on Thursday and I found these epoxy fry patterns. I have had them for a couple of years but have never got round to using them. I think, out of the three or four hundred flies I must have, I normally only ever use about twenty patterns at most.

View attachment 9708
I have always thought about trying tid them up but I don't fish anywhere that there is a particulat back end fry bash and to be quite honest I can't be arsed with the faff.

I only chuck trout fluff once in a blue moon, all the gear and no idea....

I am ok with saltwater fly patterns as you only need probably 3 at the most, lureflash types mostly for Pollack and Bass, Mackies if they are close in, I have had flatties on fly gear when experimenting with slow retrieve on a shooting head fast sink leader .

But Trout flies.. bloody ell, more than I can shake a stick at and have not got a clue how to sort a wet from a dry let alone identify any. I do know what a buzzer is, but there are so many different ones that I may as well just pick one at random and hope for the best , seems to work on the odd occasion.

The funniest thing is asking for advice on what patterns to take when somebody has invited me for a day fluff chucking
( luckily doesnt happen much ) a dozen different answers from a dozen different anglers, all who swear by their favourites.

Went to Orkney a couple of years ago, fishing Loch Harray, the best advice I had was that a local chap who was a guide fished one type of fly, that was a Half Hog .

Couldnt find one anywhere so tried some others as suggested, and had a great couple of hours thrashing the water to a foam and catching nowt.

I am a bait fisherman first I think.

Trout like bread ???

Dave

I only chuck trout fluff once in a blue moon, all the gear and no idea....

I am ok with saltwater fly patterns as you only need probably 3 at the most, lureflash types mostly for Pollack and Bass, Mackies if they are close in, I have had flatties on fly gear when experimenting with slow retrieve on a shooting head fast sink leader .

But Trout flies.. bloody ell, more than I can shake a stick at and have not got a clue how to sort a wet from a dry let alone identify any. I do know what a buzzer is, but there are so many different ones that I may as well just pick one at random and hope for the best , seems to work on the odd occasion.

The funniest thing is asking for advice on what patterns to take when somebody has invited me for a day fluff chucking
( luckily doesnt happen much ) a dozen different answers from a dozen different anglers, all who swear by their favourites.

Went to Orkney a couple of years ago, fishing Loch Harray, the best advice I had was that a local chap who was a guide fished one type of fly, that was a Half Hog .

Couldnt find one anywhere so tried some others as suggested, and had a great couple of hours thrashing the water to a foam and catching nowt.

I am a bait fisherman first I think.

Trout like bread ???

Dave
And wouldnt you know it.......

For interests sake, I have just googled Half hog flies......... and now the answer has jumped at me...... there are bloody thousands of em !

Typical, like buses you can never find one when you want one and then two thousand come along at the same time .?

With bait..... well, the baits that I use, Bread comes in slices, Spam comes in tins as does sweet corn, Maggots is Maggots and wurrums is wurrums. The occasional Halibut pellet is bog standard without a fancy Carp tax upon it .

Oh for the simple life .....

Dave ??????

And wouldnt you know it.......

For interests sake, I have just googled Half hog flies......... and now the answer has jumped at me...... there are bloody thousands of em !

Typical, like buses you can never find one when you want one and then two thousand come along at the same time .?

With bait..... well, the baits that I use, Bread comes in slices, Spam comes in tins as does sweet corn, Maggots is Maggots and wurrums is wurrums. The occasional Halibut pellet is bog standard without a fancy Carp tax upon it .

Oh for the simple life .....

Dave ??????
Not sure I agree, willy worms has three dfferent sizes of dendrobena, maggots in various colours, pinkies in various coliurs etc, etc.

Not sure I agree, willy worms has three dfferent sizes of dendrobena, maggots in various colours, pinkies in various coliurs etc, etc.
wurrums is wurrums..... ? Gudgeon will take Lobs, Tench will take Dendros, all fish will take a wurrum........ any wurrum.
Maggots is Maggots, different colours yes but since I dont bother with colours and my catch rates dont suffer, then for me maggots is maggots ......

You dont mention Spam as opposed to Tulip, or indeed Green Giant as opposed to Liddles very finest.

I dont bother with Casters .I know they work, but I wont pay stupid prices for them and what you dont get you dont miss.

For me there is far too much complication made by anglers where baits are concerned, if simple works , then why complicate it ?

Boilies ...... chemical rubbish fit for the bin .

Dave

Back