• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

floatation suit

I'd definitely get a two piece - I did after initially buying a one piece and overheating badly! I have a Fladden but mates have various from Imax, Sundridge, Penn, Mustad etc. All seem perfectly OK for what they are but as mentioned they're certainly not breathable and I wouldn't consider walking far in mine. I've reproofed it with Wikes masonry sealer which is a cheaper version of Thompson's water seal. It's getting on for 20 years old so possibly the buoyancy foam will have degraded/worn or been overly compressed by now? It's just a closed cell foam (just like the 'ethafoam' used as a liner for flyboxes) with a waterproof nylon outer, but I don't depend on it for flotation as I wear a 175N auto inflate over the top if on a boat or fishing from heights like rocks and breakwaters.
My mate used to sell them in the chandlers/tackle shop he worked in and often would get asked if they'd save your life at sea. He had a stock reply - "they won't necessarily save a life but will give the chance of rescue before the hypothermia kicks in..... but let's look on the bright side - at least they'll have a body for the funeral" Which as well as being very good dry humour in my book has a whole lot of truth in it!

The trouble with 90% of flotation suits is the hydrostatic head is insufficient. Most are claimed at 10000hh which to be honest is not much better than a tea bag.
If you want total waterproof then look at the guy cotten sallopets and smoks.
However , they are not breathable so you may sweat in them.
Another option is to go gortex, most gortex garments have a HH of 20000 or more.
That said, I have had gortex leak in extreme rain.

The trouble with 90% of flotation suits is the hydrostatic head is insufficient. Most are claimed at 10000hh which to be honest is not much better than a tea bag.
If you want total waterproof then look at the guy cotten sallopets and smoks.
However , they are not breathable so you may sweat in them.
Another option is to go gortex, most gortex garments have a HH of 20000 or more.
That said, I have had gortex leak in extreme rain.
What I’ve tended to find about the floatie suits I’ve had is the thickness generally means they take a long time to soak it up.
So yes agree with you they’re not totally waterproof by any means but I tend to find they’ll keep me dry/warm enough for a session, which is all I want.

If they then need a couple of days to dry out that’s fine.

Maybe not as good for the people that like to spend 48 hours on a beach, if the weather was bad, but then they have their little tents with them anyway.

If I was to buy a new one I think I'd proof it with something like Fabsil spray before using it in the hope of prolonging it's working life before needing to resort to the brush on masonry sealer

Back