• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fluorocarbon snoods and leaders.

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I was looking through some opinions on the merits of using Fluorocarbon and most of the threads were quite old but even then opinion was mixed. What are current thoughts on using this a leader/snood ? It is still in real terms an expensive material compared to mono coming in at anywhere between £7.50 to £10 or more for 100m sometimes only 50m.

I use fluro for carp fishing, and really like it as a hooklink, but for sea fishing I wouldn’t really bother. If you’re looking for a fluro type snood material, I’d go for amnesia pal, it’s pretty tough, has fluro properties and can be straightened easily enough. Most sea fish aren’t as tackle shy as the average carp!

I was looking through some opinions on the merits of using Fluorocarbon and most of the threads were quite old but even then opinion was mixed. What are current thoughts on using this a leader/snood ? It is still in real terms an expensive material compared to mono coming in at anywhere between £7.50 to £10 or more for 100m sometimes only 50m.
No advantages in it for the angler well none that i can see , i use amnesia for hook lengths and catch a fair amount of fish .

I read an article from and American skipper done a few years ago, he claims that it was only really useful in fin clear water and even then, there was only a marginal benefit over mono, if the water has any colour he said there was no difference between mono and flouro apart from the price.

Personally, I do and have always done what he does, flouro only for him clear water (when using it for snoods). I do use a flouro leader (2ft) for lure fishing, but that's because of how stiff it is compared to a mono leader.

As others have said, Amnesia is the way to go. I had a spool of Flouro which was OK but I lost it, so had to make up a couple of rigs with mono traces. Endless problems with snoods tangling around the rig body. Bought a spool of Amnesia, and what a differerence! No more tangles.

I use fluro just on my LRF stuff as wanted a thin diameter line and not a fan of braid, but recon mono will get me the same amount a fish.

Pro - stiffness (good in fly leaders etc), abrasion resistance and perhaps low visibility

Con - yes! Ridiculously expensive, takes eons to breakdown if lost/put in landfil, and poor shock resistance when knotted. Some swear by it, others at it

I sometimes use Flouro snoods on 3 hook flappers with small hooks, targetting sole or dabs. Otherwise I use Amnesia.

Back