• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Footwear for rocks

fiveyardcast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
An old classic, i know. But seen as Mr Fish has already started the 'best headtorch' thread i thought i'd claim this one.

I fish a lot of rock marks and have done for years. I've never found footwear that actually reduces the chance of slipping on rocks, just footwear that seems to increase the chance of having an accident (hard rubber soles/ Vibram etc can be deadly).

I like to have a bit of ankle support, so prefer boots, but have noticed that people i fish with often get better purchase on rocks than me wearing trainers - probably due to having more surface area contact and softer rubber.

Ive been wondering about wader boots recently. Some of them seem to have pretty flat soles (not felt ones which i imagine wont last). Obviously, i've considered studs too but are they overkill, or perhaps not ideal, for rockhopping over wide areas with a lure rod or 2?

Any recommendations are welcome.
Sorry for the long post..

Good post mate, it's that is over looked until one slips and hurts one self.

I really don't have enough experience on foot wear, and have had a few tumbles, one fall fractured my nano sea bass lure rod, gutted.

Waders I wouldn't use on the rocks , I find them to restictive when climbing over big rocks, but also if I fell into the sea, could I swim with them. So a light foot wear for me is better

I have always gone for soft rubber , flat trainers or deck shoes, to get maximum grip. The deck shoes from sailing works well and are made for salt water, coz some rubber perishes in it.

Depending on the rock type. Softer soled walking boots or studs. Studs are eye openers especially on rocks below the high tide line with weed or other algae on For wading too studs are the dogs. Give you areal sense of security on underwater boulders

Depending on the rock type. Softer soled walking boots or studs. Studs are eye openers especially on rocks below the high tide line with weed or other algae on For wading too studs are the dogs. Give you areal sense of security on underwater boulders
I must try them , I have them but never fitted them

Can I ask , when we say rock fishing , is it ledges off cliffs , with head lands where the rock faces are a bit steep, and Bombies that you can get to, or following shallow reefs and gullies with low rock face that join the head land,

Sorry for the silly question

Wouldn’t be on slippy rocks without studs now.

Various options available. I use Snowbee Rockhoppers which I find good although some have said they wear out quick, but my previous pair lasted years. Mind you, I was careful about where I wore them.
Also basically a neoprene welly, so get hot. Ankle support isn’t bad but not up to walking boot standard.

Other options are buy walking boots or wellies and self fit the Supatrak studs.
Think Bison Bearclaw is another studded brand and I believe Grubs do a studded boot too? Think the Grubs ones are more for colder clines don’t depends how much you worry about cold feet I guess?

Can I ask , when we say rock fishing , is it ledges off cliffs , with head lands where the rock faces are a bit steep, and Bombies that you can get to, or following shallow reefs and gullies with low rock face that join the head land,

Sorry for the silly question
Umm, sort of both really. South Devon rock marks, Mounbatten rocks, rock marks north of Brixham, western highlands/ Skye. A mix of basalt, granite, then weedy everything at low tide. It's not unknown for us to cover a few hundred yards of rocky terrain, or at least to be hopping around on rocks in a 40/50 sq yard area.
Good question though. If i was going to fish the slippy ledges at Portland Bill i might be thinking differently to how i'd prepare for elevated rocks that are only really dangerous when it rains..

Wouldn’t be on slippy rocks without studs now.

Various options available. I use Snowbee Rockhoppers which I find good although some have said they wear out quick, but my previous pair lasted years. Mind you, I was careful about where I wore them.
Also basically a neoprene welly, so get hot. Ankle support isn’t bad but not up to walking boot standard.

Other options are buy walking boots or wellies and self fit the Supatrak studs.
Think Bison Bearclaw is another studded brand and I believe Grubs do a studded boot too? Think the Grubs ones are more for colder clines don’t depends how much you worry about cold feet I guess?
Thanks Mr F. Specific examples to consider. I like it

Umm, sort of both really. South Devon rock marks, Mounbatten rocks, rock marks north of Brixham, western highlands/ Skye. A mix of basalt, granite, then weedy everything at low tide. It's not unknown for us to cover a few hundred yards of rocky terrain, or at least to be hopping around on rocks in a 40/50 sq yard area.
Good question though. If i was going to fish the slippy ledges at Portland Bill i might be thinking differently to how i'd prepare for elevated rocks that are only really dangerous when it rains..
Cool, now I understand, that's why I had to ask, coz fishing Portland and Cornwall, no way I would want waders.

But everything else yeah, that are spot on, I just havnt put my studs in , but will try it.

Predictive text changed some of my reply into gibberish, sorry, but I think the gist makes sense!
I always blame predictive text too ?

Good suggestions. Just been looking at the bearclaw, but Valleyboy's point about wader boots being designed to let in water and potentially cold is a good one.
I'll have a look at the Snowbees..

I always blame predictive text too ?

Good suggestions. Just been looking at the bearclaw, but Valleyboy's point about wader boots being designed to let in water and potentially cold is a good one.
I'll have a look at the Snowbees..
These are what I have, however my current pair came from Summerlands for about £85, so pretty sure you can get them cheaper than this!

Back