• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Footwear for rocks

When I fished of the rocks in Japan someone let me borrow a pair of boots with the big toe separated. They had a pretty good grip.

These are what I have, however my current pair came from Summerlands for about £85, so pretty sure you can get them cheaper than this!

Many on ebay muck and Grubs boots cheaper than those by far Got a pair with vibram soles other day £35 delivered and the half boot £45

Studs! These job done fit anything and stay in sole unlike those Cladding screws been jizzed up and over priced!

Many on ebay muck and Grubs boots cheaper than those by far Got a pair with vibram soles other day £35 delivered and the half boot £45
Vibram is like bambi on ice for slippery rocks but yes, if you buy the boot and fit your own studs, it would be cheaper.
Never had a pair, but didn’t I read Muck boots weren’t really for extended walking, or was that something else?

Vibram is like bambi on ice for slippery rocks but yes, if you buy the boot and fit your own studs, it would be cheaper.
Never had a pair, but didn’t I read Muck boots weren’t really for extended walking, or was that something else?
I've ended up on my arse just walking along the road with hard vibram soles

I've ended up on my arse just walking along the road with hard vibram soles
Yea it’s crap, can’t quite understand what it’s actually meant to do!

Mind you, I do mean to fit my own studs at some point, but always wonder how you’re supposed to know what size to get?
How do you measure the thickness of a walking boot sole?

From what I can see, the market options are...

1/ Buy boots, fit your own studs
2/ Bison Bearclaw, about £40
3/ Vass studded wellies, about £60
4/ Snowbee Rockhoppers, prices are all over, but mine were £85

Seem to recall on a similar thread in the other place that said the Bison and Vass studs came off easily?

Or various studded wading boot options but not really something for rock fishing I wouldn’t have thought?

Yea it’s crap, can’t quite understand what it’s actually meant to do!

Mind you, I do mean to fit my own studs at some point, but always wonder how you’re supposed to know what size to get?
How do you measure the thickness of a walking boot sole?
Especially when some heels have air gaps in

Seem to recall on a similar thread in the other place that said the Bison and Vass studs came off easily?
Ny vass ones have been good. Shed one now and again but they stay sharp

I think you can get a strap on (oooh errr) over boot system.

Found some. Don't know what they are like but if they work they have obvious advantages

I think you can get a strap on (oooh errr) over boot system.

Found some. Don't know what they are like but if they work they have obvious advantages
Another option although tbh I think I’d like my studs in the boot.
Guess this would be more for icy terrain?

I've been fishing "dodgy" rock marks in Scotland for years and always wore decent walking boots. Mainly for keeping the feet dry on the way to and from the marks but also in case it pissed down. Some marks are fine if it's dry but if it rains while you're fishing, getting back can be a nightmare.
I tried studs but they didn't last long, mainly because most walking boots have air pockets in the tread, meaning the studs were only gripping the thinner outter tread but had nothing to support the threaded part of the stud inside the tread, if that makes sense?
Henry Gilbey had some success screwing studs into hard-soled Dunlop work boots which he used as wading boots.
This seemed a good idea but as the Dunlops aren't waterproof I bought a pair of waterproof JCB workboots and used the Supatracks in them.
Big, wide thread on the studs, a dab of glue ( supplied with the studs and fitting tool ) and they seem perfect The hard soles give a firm bed for the threaded section, ankle support feels good and best of all they were only £40. Obviously they're for work so need to show in the accounts. ;)

Back