• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Found me mojo ?

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all.
After the worm/prawn antics of last week I went out in the wind sat to try again... Used squid and left over worm this time.

The Mrs took her mother away for the weekend to see a play, so I planned a bit of fishing!

A long day ahead I started at high. Planning to do 2 down then move and fish a couple more each side of low.... Target rays, eels, bass sole.
Well it was SLOW!

Another poor session with a small ray and 2.75 bass being the only highlights amongst a few straps.
It looked perfect for bass.... But nothing on worm, just the one on squid.... Where are the bass?? IMG_20210911_152446~2_resize_50.jpg

With a calm forecast the following day, I was hoping for a better trip and for a change looked at a new spot on Google maps. I also remembered I'd scouted the area out on a very low tide 6 years ago, so digging out the pics on the phone I picked a rough spot to try.
Unfortunately I didn't have a pic looking behind so I was a bit blind on exactly where I wanted to be.... But hoped as the tide dropped I would work it out!

After a longish walk I set up and cast out. I soon had a rattle and landed a strap, then a bass of 2.5lb......happy with that start it then died as the water dropped and I realised I wasn't quite far enough along, and was fishing over some nasty snaggy ground!

Time to move a bit...winding in lost a set of gear as the line had caught in the snags... Bugger!

Out with fresh bait again and with the flood starting I was ever hopeful.

I soon had a rattle, and in came another bass... Smaller maybe 2lb, then a bite on the other rod.... A 1.5lb bass.

I was very happy with 3 bass, no monsters but great to catch a few fish again. . And on a new mark even better ?

After this it went a bit crazy... Screaming ratchets and more bass.... So different from the previous day!

Then I hit a bending rod and the fish went mental.... The fish just stripped line off the reel... 20 yards went then slack ?. It was gone, the tiny hooks on the Sole rig had pulled out of whatever it was.... Gutted ?

It felt very big, hound or big bass I guessed, and got fresh bait back out.
Next a better bass around 5.75lb a lovely fish and bass number 7.

I was getting ready to take a pic when off went the 2nd rod. This felt OK, then that lovely little rattle/vibration.... Had to be a sole!.... And yep it was, a nice one going 2lb +.... What a day! IMG_20210912_200220~3_resize_47.jpg

Fresh baits back out and taking pics, I was in yet again.... A better bass of 6lb+. Wow crazy day!

IMG_20210912_200043~3_resize_45.jpg

Now it really was time to go, my gear was nearly floating!..... Then a. Screaming reel... Really screaming!!

Bugger.... I hit it and the rod slammed over, just like the good fish I lost earlier.

I just had to let it go.... Maybe 30y on the first run, then maybe another 4 runs slowly getting shorter before the tussle in close. All these runs against a fairly tight drag..... On the limit of the sole rig!!

While this was going on I had to move the box and rod holdall back from the rising tide.... Talk about excitement ?

This time I got my biggie.... A lovely hound going 16lb 4oz.....what a few hours...and where did all those bass come from!!!.... I've never had bass like that from the channel. IMG_20210912_202221~3_resize_44.jpg

I guess it was just one of those days where the fish want to feed..... A mate fishing near me fished on and did high where I'd struggled the previous trips and had a blinder as well.

I was nearly out of bait and too knackered tbh to fish on and was very happy for him as earlier he struggled also trying a new mark.
Cheers all
Si.

Last edited:
Hi all.
After the worm/prawn antics of last week I went out in the wind sat to try again... Used squid and left over worm this time.

The Mrs took her mother away for the weekend to see a play, so I planned a bit of fishing!

A long day ahead I started at high. Planning to do 2 down then move and fish a couple more each side of low.... Target rays, eels, bass sole.
Well it was SLOW!

Another poor session with a small ray and 2.75 bass being the only highlights amongst a few straps.
It looked perfect for bass.... But nothing on worm, just the one on squid.... Where are the bass?? View attachment 14307

With a calm forecast the following day, I was hoping for a better trip and for a change looked at a new spot on Google maps. I also remembered I'd scouted the area out on a very low tide 6 years ago, so digging out the pics on the phone I picked a rough spot to try.
Unfortunately I didn't have a pic looking behind so I was a bit blind on exactly where I wanted to be.... But hoped as the tide dropped I would work it out!

After a longish walk I set up and cast out. I soon had a rattle and landed a strap, then a bass of 2.5lb......happy with that start it then died as the water dropped and I realised I wasn't quite far enough along, and was fishing over some nasty snaggy ground!

Time to move a bit...winding in lost a set of gear as the line had caught in the snags... Bugger!

Out with fresh bait again and with the flood starting I was ever hopeful.

I soon had a rattle, and in came another bass... Smaller maybe 2lb, then a bite on the other rod.... A 1.5lb bass.

I was very happy with 3 bass, no monsters but great to catch a few fish again. . And on a new mark even better ?

After this it went a bit crazy... Screaming ratchets and more bass.... So different from the previous day!

Then I hit a bending rod and the fish went mental.... The fish just stripped line off the reel... 20 yards went then slack ?. It was gone, the tiny hooks on the Sole rig had pulled out of whatever it was.... Gutted ?

It felt very big, hound or big bass I guessed, and got fresh bait back out.
Next a better bass around 5.75lb a lovely fish and bass number 7.

I was getting ready to take a pic when off went the 2nd rod. This felt OK, then that lovely little rattle/vibration.... Had to be a sole!.... And yep it was, a nice one going 2lb +.... What a day! View attachment 14359

Fresh baits back out and taking pics, I was in yet again.... A better bass of 6lb+. Wow crazy day!

View attachment 14360

Now it really was time to go, my gear was nearly floating!..... Then a. Screaming reel... Really screaming!!

Bugger.... I hit it and the rod slammed over, just like the good fish I lost earlier.

I just had to let it go.... Maybe 30y on the first run, then maybe another 4 runs slowly getting shorter before the tussle in close. All these runs against a fairly tight drag..... On the limit of the sole rig!!

While this was going on I had to move the box and rod holdall back from the rising tide.... Talk about excitement ?

This time I got my biggie.... A lovely hound going 16lb 4oz.....what a few hours...and where did all those bass come from!!!.... I've never had bass like that from the channel. View attachment 14361

I guess it was just one of those days where the fish want to feed..... A mate fishing near me fished on and did high where I'd struggled the previous trips and had a blinder as well.

I was nearly out of bait and too knackered tbh to fish on and was very happy for him as earlier he struggled also trying a new mark.
Cheers all
Si.
WOW Si! Amazing session, great report & photos as usual, and well done on the fantastic Bass, Hound & Sole! Keep 'em coming mate! ??

Back