• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Freelining Prawns

bassamateur

Reaction score
Hi all, I had some success this year fishing live prawns under a float from my small boat. Due to my mooring situation, my season is coming to an end now but I’m already thinking about next year and how I can do better.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is that a prawn might look more natural freelined rather than being tethered under a float. How well would a prawn swim with a hook through it’s tail though? I guess it’d have to be a fine wire hook, any recommendations?

Would I be able to start off with a pure freeline early in the tide and add weight as the tide started to run? How much weight are we talking here, I guess that’s going to influence that ‘natural’ presentation.

Would really appreciate as many thoughts or experiences as possible. Thank you.

Freeline ragworm of my boat in my local harbour with good results , good with a little tide to carry bait away from the boat and still stay mid water ish , soon as tide starts pushing through bait will end up on the surface and need to add some weight , normally use bullet leads of various sizes judged on tide strength and don't feel this effects presentation or catch rate , also used to fish with live prawn drifted under a local pier with ball leads and used to do well ,

One thing I’ve been thinking about is that a prawn might look more natural freelined rather than being tethered under a float. How well would a prawn swim with a hook through it’s tail though? I guess it’d have to be a fine wire hook, any recommendations?
The presentation of a prawn under a float won't make much difference compared to freelining I would have thought, but for me the advantages of using a float are plenty. Bite indication of course, but also the weight needed to set the float will also allow you to position the prawn whever in the water column you choose - if the bass are low down behind a reef or sandbar, a freelined prawn near the surface will probably pass them by. But that same prawn under a float with a weight set a couple of feet off the bottom would be a killer method.

Using braid with split shots of varying weight until you find the right balance to keep in touch with the tide and bait I guess if completely freelined...hard to put into a short post lol as above would say a float would be fine... will give you stability and more contact with the prawn. Then I'd use that as a guide to how much weight is required in your tides and spots to use as a total freeline system .

What sort of float you using ? have you thought of using a bubble float with a couple of split shot between float & the hook ?

Hi all, I had some success this year fishing live prawns under a float from my small boat. Due to my mooring situation, my season is coming to an end now but I’m already thinking about next year and how I can do better.

Would I be able to start off with a pure freeline early in the tide and add weight as the tide started to run? How much weight are we talking here, I guess that’s going to influence that ‘natural’ presentation.

Would really appreciate as many thoughts or experiences as possible. Thank you.

Yes it works, it is a tactic we often use here.

You need a fairly large prawn, and you need to hook it through the 3rd segment from the tail. That stops it curling its tail around and looking unnatural. I tend to use a fine wire wormer hook, about 1/0 size. I use a light spinning rod (28g) and a 4000 size reel loaded with 20lb braid, straight through to the hook. We don't use any weight, the braid sinks slowly, and we just keep 'mending' the line in the tide (6knts on springs). You can get a reasonable cast with a good sized prawn.

The only issue is that you will catch a tone of smaller schoolies.

Thanks GPSguru, great response. Although you’ve seen that it works, do you think I’d be better off sticking with the float or not?

Never heard of them floats !!!!
Bombarda floats work well with a light lure behind them. Designed to be either floating, sinking, or somewhere between the two, the Bombarda float adds weight to make it easier to cast light lures a greater distance - that's the way I understand it anyway! Rob in Cornwall did a good video about them.

What sort of float you using ? have you thought of using a bubble float with a couple of split shot between float & the hook ?
Large a\/on floats with the bulk shot reasonably close to the hookbait are the best imo for mo\/img water as long as it's not too deep. If it is deep and you ha\/e to use a slider you can't hold it back ll and are at the mercy of the flow

Thanks GPSguru, great response. Although you’ve seen that it works, do you think I’d be better off sticking with the float or not?

Only if you want to cast further.

You certainly won't miss any bites free lining, all of a sudden the braid starts tightening and hissing through the water ...... great fun.

Back