• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night out with the Team!

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I should have written this up yesterday, but Wifey had other ideas (gardening) than me sitting in front of the Laptop!

Had a shout from @John Mitchell mid week to say he was planning a visit to a shingle mark with @bananas on Friday, and did I want to come along.
Weather ✔ Beach access ✔ Time to sort bait ✔ so the answer was Yes please!

John said be there for about 7pm and I'd originally planned to get there 5pm as it's a 34 mile drive & a lot of it is through narrow lanes, so I was thinking it would take about 1 hour 15. Things earlier in the day slowed my plans but having collected some Ragworm, we were off! I grew up out that way so know the area fairly well and it was a slow but steady journey until, just afer an hour, the bus I was following met a car & caravan with 2 motorhomes behind it in the narrows. After watching a Caravan reversing comedy for 10mins, I got down to the beach at 18.20

The beach must be nearly a mile long, and I suddenly thought that there wasn't any point in me setting my gear up, as I didn't know where John and Bob usually fish, so sat in Jeepy until they arrived. John was there within 20mins accompanied by his Nephew, and Bob was just behind them. There was another car turned up a little while after me with rods in the back - that turned out to be Matt B, another forum member I hadn't met before so that was good! After a bit of Banter, we headed off on a 400meter walk along a level track, got down to the beach, and got set up.

IMG_20210611_185725.jpg

It sure was a lovely evening - plenty of sunshine and just a little surf coming in. Not much was happening on the 'catching' front, and it soon became obvious that the expected Spider Crab population were feasting well on our bait. I'd taken my Conti rod and a 10ft Bass rod, but left another beach caster in Jeepy as I didn't want to load myself up with too much gear. Got all set up on the beach and wished I had taken it. I also realised I had grabbed the wrong reel for the Bass rod, but just managed to shoehorn my Mitchell LC onto it!

IMG_20210611_194840.jpg

I'm not sure if it was Bob or John's Nephew that kicked of the score card amongst us 'gang of 5' but a bend in the rod turned out to be a Spider Crab that refused to give up his worm feast. We were all saying that despite having 8 or 9 rods with different baits out between us, it was very quiet. Matt had only come out to go Lure fishing, and after a while he had made it right down to the end of the beach and was a tiny speck in the distance! I was next to contribute to the tally with another slightly larger Spider Crab.

IMG_20210611_200057.jpg

IMG_20210611_200312.jpg

Still very quiet. John's nephew then thought he had got snagged on something, as he just couldn't reel in, and didn't want to break the line off. After a bit of tugging, and help from Bob, plus lots of wandering up & down the beach to get a different angle, he began to gain ground and thought he had collected a Kelp mountain, but it turned out to be another massive Spider Crab which I would guess was around 5lb!
John did have a Dogfish I believe, which I didn't see, being the opposite end of our 'gang of 5'.

IMG_20210611_194939.jpg

John's Nephew was a great lad, and came around just after darkness with a bar of Cadbury's dairy milk for each of us - "Got to keep the sugar levels up" he said!

Nothing else was tempted by our bait cocktails, and by about 10pm it was starting to get a bit chilly, and I think we were all getting a bit tired of acting as Chefs for the Spiders! I gave it another hour, used up a few more Ragworm, and decided to pack up. I gave the rest of my worms to Bob as I wasn't likely to use them.

Everything has to go in it's place - Reels back in cases, Rods back in bags, Tripod dusted off, back in it's bag and attached to my Rod Quiver etc., so by the time I had packed up, John & Co were probably back to the car park!

It was a great night, nice to meet Bob, Matt, and John's Nephew (can't for the life of me remember his name), and the drive home at 23.40 was a lot easier & quicker with the holidaymakers all in their beds. Thanks Guys for a good session! ????

I should have written this up yesterday, but Wifey had other ideas (gardening) than me sitting in front of the Laptop!

Had a shout from @John Mitchell mid week to say he was planning a visit to a shingle mark with @bananas on Friday, and did I want to come along.
Weather ✔ Beach access ✔ Time to sort bait ✔ so the answer was Yes please!

John said be there for about 7pm and I'd originally planned to get there 5pm as it's a 34 mile drive & a lot of it is through narrow lanes, so I was thinking it would take about 1 hour 15. Things earlier in the day slowed my plans but having collected some Ragworm, we were off! I grew up out that way so know the area fairly well and it was a slow but steady journey until, just afer an hour, the bus I was following met a car & caravan with 2 motorhomes behind it in the narrows. After watching a Caravan reversing comedy for 10mins, I got down to the beach at 18.20

The beach must be nearly a mile long, and I suddenly thought that there wasn't any point in me setting my gear up, as I didn't know where John and Bob usually fish, so sat in Jeepy until they arrived. John was there within 20mins accompanied by his Nephew, and Bob was just behind them. There was another car turned up a little while after me with rods in the back - that turned out to be Matt B, another forum member I hadn't met before so that was good! After a bit of Banter, we headed off on a 400meter walk along a level track, got down to the beach, and got set up.

View attachment 10434

It sure was a lovely evening - plenty of sunshine and just a little surf coming in. Not much was happening on the 'catching' front, and it soon became obvious that the expected Spider Crab population were feasting well on our bait. I'd taken my Conti rod and a 10ft Bass rod, but left another beach caster in Jeepy as I didn't want to load myself up with too much gear. Got all set up on the beach and wished I had taken it. I also realised I had grabbed the wrong reel for the Bass rod, but just managed to shoehorn my Mitchell LC onto it!

View attachment 10435

I'm not sure if it was Bob or John's Nephew that kicked of the score card amongst us 'gang of 5' but a bend in the rod turned out to be a Spider Crab that refused to give up his worm feast. We were all saying that despite having 8 or 9 rods with different baits out between us, it was very quiet. Matt had only come out to go Lure fishing, and after a while he had made it right down to the end of the beach and was a tiny speck in the distance! I was next to contribute to the tally with another slightly larger Spider Crab.

View attachment 10436

View attachment 10437

Still very quiet. John's nephew then thought he had got snagged on something, as he just couldn't reel in, and didn't want to break the line off. After a bit of tugging, and help from Bob, plus lots of wandering up & down the beach to get a different angle, he began to gain ground and thought he had collected a Kelp mountain, but it turned out to be another massive Spider Crab which I would guess was around 5lb!
John did have a Dogfish I believe, which I didn't see, being the opposite end of our 'gang of 5'.

View attachment 10438

John's Nephew was a great lad, and came around just after darkness with a bar of Cadbury's dairy milk for each of us - "Got to keep the sugar levels up" he said!

Nothing else was tempted by our bait cocktails, and by about 10pm it was starting to get a bit chilly, and I think we were all getting a bit tired of acting as Chefs for the Spiders! I gave it another hour, used up a few more Ragworm, and decided to pack up. I gave the rest of my worms to Bob as I wasn't likely to use them.

Everything has to go in it's place - Reels back in cases, Rods back in bags, Tripod dusted off, back in it's bag and attached to my Rod Quiver etc., so by the time I had packed up, John & Co were probably back to the car park!

It was a great night, nice to meet Bob, Matt, and John's Nephew (can't for the life of me remember his name), and the drive home at 23.40 was a lot easier & quicker with the holidaymakers all in their beds. Thanks Guys for a good session! ????
Great report Dave that just about sums up our fishing lately great weather not much fish , I had my lure rod as well which I attached a dexter and 3 tiny feathers but between me and nephew Ben we could not find any mackerel, Ben’s spider crab was a monster the biggest I have ever seen , the look on Ben’s face when he brought it in was funny he was scared of it lol .
matt B had no luck with his lures despite his long walk walk , at least I had the only fish a dog fish ?
still it was an enjoyable evening

Nice one John! I was busy rebaiting or something further down the beach so didn't actually see it, but from Bob's description and comparing it to one Troj caught last week, I guessed about 5Lb. Thanks for clearing something up for me - I couldn't remember Ben's name for the life of me! Great Lad!
Much better journey home, though there were a few idiots still about ater the pubs kicked out. Interesting to note that Google maps route out there is up the A38, off through Avonwick, and out to East Allington!

Nice report Dave. Well done for trying even if the fish didn’t show!
Yes, it was nice to get out, meet a couple of new folks, and as far as I'm concerned the Spider Crab broke my string of Blanks! ??

At least this trip Bob wasn't half a mile away, so I didn't need my megaphone! ??

Nice report Dave, good to finally meet up and fish with you, well not so much fish, more like stand on a beach staring at our rods, it was dire
:(
Poor old Ben didnt want to pick that crab up at all, but when you got a bully for an uncle:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back