• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen Bait from Supermarket

I used to fish the N Lincs coast back in the eighties; from Barton on Humber down to Cleethorpes, no doubt it's all changed now. We used to some super lugworm from the beach off the North Wall at Grimsby.

Is there anything worth getting from a supermarket? Presumably fresh mackerel and sprats - that's about the best I can think of for now

I'm planning my first trip in a good 25 years somewhere on the Lincolnshire coast, in the next week or two. I haven't got anything specific in mind regarding target species, just having a go so I can start bothering you guys with questions.

I'll keep an eye open for razor clams and prawns of whatever kind. I'm not a big seafood eater so I don't really know what's available; what about cockles and muscles?

I may be going in the evening so probably won't get the opportunity to buy or catch/dig "proper" bait
Frozen uncooked King Prawns are supposed to work - some say better with the shell on if you can find them.

Any ready to come out of that Freezer then?
Funny you should mention that - I found a couple of packs I had bought before I went dangling with Jhon as you call him, and not long got back from Asders! They had a nice tray of fresh King Prawns for the expensive sum of 42p, they're now also residing in the freezer!
Now I've de-iced it & had a clear out, I've got more room to sneak some bait in there when SWMBO isn't looking! ???

Out of curiosity, would you rate a bit of scavenging a better option than doing your best at the supermarket?

Using my trip as an example; if I can't get to this Doug chap. Would I be better off with whole mackerel, srats, prawns, razor clams etc from a supermarket or just arrive early and collect limpets, mussels, winkles, crabs, whatever I can find from the shore I intend to fish?

Out of curiosity, would you rate a bit of scavenging a better option than doing your best at the supermarket?

Using my trip as an example; if I can't get to this Doug chap. Would I be better off with whole mackerel, srats, prawns, razor clams etc from a supermarket or just arrive early and collect limpets, mussels, winkles, crabs, whatever I can find from the shore I intend to fish?
Yes, go with bait, you can also supplement it with crab, mussel, lug if you can find or dig them before your session. Any mussel or crab left over you can take home and freeze for next time.

Back