• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen Bait from Supermarket

I should be ok to get some up there, it was just easy to get some razors as having asked on here about them.
Not a great deal of room in freezer up there as sais before, food takes priority, but can slip the razors in and a few mackerel and small box of squid.
Saying that the squid i had before never had a sniff and frozen sand eels only caught crab.
Have had all success with peeler crab i have found or the mackerel.
I think supermarket squid is bleached to clean and whiten it. Used it a few times and evev the doggies refused it.

Is Lionels still open in Buckley? they always had a decent supply of sea baits, or is that too far for you
Never heard of him (though i do recall hearing of one there around 20yrs ago when after fly equipment may have been him)
Only a short distance away, thanks.

those little cleaned squid rings ain't much good mate tbh ... probably okay in strips from bream because of visibility but id stock up at a shop and take down frozen and into freezer at caravan ??

those little cleaned squid rings ain't much good mate tbh ... probably okay in strips from bream because of visibility but id stock up at a shop and take down frozen and into freezer at caravan ??
Yes thought they were no that good.

Well back to the squid rings (where ever i can buy them from):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Will they be any good?
Yes they can work. Cut in half then thread onto a small jig head, bump them back a long the bottom slowly. I've had Dabs, flounder and small coalies on them. Not as good as fresh, but useable as an emergency solution.

Squid of any type wouldn't really figure in my choice of baits over where your van is. Not in the summer anyway
They were deadly for dogs & huss tipped on the end of feather fishing on bottom off charter boat.
But i used a full box & a bag of bits off the beach at a few different locations and never had a tickle with them only covered in ink once.

They were deadly for dogs & huss tipped on the end of feather fishing on bottom off charter boat.
But i used a full box & a bag of bits off the beach at a few different locations and never had a tickle with them only covered in ink once.
It will always get you dogs if they are about but then again so will most things. I suppose it really depends what you are after

It will always get you dogs if they are about but then again so will most things. I suppose it really depends what you are after
I have only once targeted dogs of the beach as knew not much chance of anything else, and was early in year and only couple of hour go, got about 10 between me and grandson, just a bit of fun.

But like said never caught anything with squid where i fished off beach.

Funny thing as well nothing but crabs with frozen sand eel, but persons close by catching with live eel.

I have only once targeted dogs of the beach as knew not much chance of anything else, and was early in year and only couple of hour go, got about 10 between me and grandson, just a bit of fun.

But like said never caught anything with squid where i fished off beach.

Funny thing as well nothing but crabs with frozen sand eel, but persons close by catching with live eel.
I've had SE rays and turbot at fairbourne and up at shell island on frozen sandeel but live eels are in a class of their own for bass

Just been on Google.
Loads of Bait shops in North Wales.
Which part is your caravan parked in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210324-122745.png
    Screenshot_20210324-122745.png
    954.9 KB · Views: 1
Is there anything worth getting from a supermarket? Presumably fresh mackerel and sprats - that's about the best I can think of for now

I'm planning my first trip in a good 25 years somewhere on the Lincolnshire coast, in the next week or two. I haven't got anything specific in mind regarding target species, just having a go so I can start bothering you guys with questions.

I'll keep an eye open for razor clams and prawns of whatever kind. I'm not a big seafood eater so I don't really know what's available; what about cockles and muscles?

I may be going in the evening so probably won't get the opportunity to buy or catch/dig "proper" bait

Is there anything worth getting from a supermarket? Presumably fresh mackerel and sprats - that's about the best I can think of for now

I'm planning my first trip in a good 25 years somewhere on the Lincolnshire coast, in the next week or two. I haven't got anything specific in mind regarding target species, just having a go so I can start bothering you guys with questions.

I'll keep an eye open for razor clams and prawns of whatever kind. I'm not a big seafood eater so I don't really know what's available; what about cockles and muscles?

I may be going in the evening so probably won't get the opportunity to buy or catch/dig "proper" bait
If you are anywhere near Chapel Point, there is a cafe and look out on the beach.
Opposite are some bungalows, one is a chap called 'Doug' or something like that, it's been a while since I was there.
He sells frozen sea baits. Worth a try ☺️

Thanks for that, I'll see what I can find out.... not too sure about banging on random doors asking for "dug, the bait guy" ?

Thanks for that, I'll see what I can find out.... not too sure about banging on random doors asking for "dug, the bait guy" ?
Google maps shows a bungalow with a sign advertising bait that's in 2019, 3 Anderby Rd

chapel point.jpg

Back