• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen Bait from Supermarket

Somebody recommended Whole King prawns to me - uncooked I think, but due to Covid, I haven't yet been out hunting for some. Useful thread - I hate having to rush to a tackle shop for worms & bait when the weather is poor, and I'm not sure if I will get out or not, so have been wondering about Supermarkets for bait - most of them are open late and 7 days a week, so pick it up en route. Plus the Mrs is less likely to object to anything for human consuption being kept in the freezer for bait!

Last edited:
I've several times picked up a bag of fresh live razor, in shell, cheap from Morrisons. At the end of the day they are discounted to about 40p a bag. I vac pack them in half dozens and freeze them in shell and the night before I'm using them defrost them enough to take the shells off, put them in a tub of salt to dry them out and toughen them up. A good bait for most species, especially flatfish.

I've several times picked up a bag of fresh live razor, in shell, cheap from Morrisons. At the end of the day they are discounted to about 40p a bag. I vac pack them in half dozens and freeze them in shell and the night before I'm using them defrost them enough to take the shells off, put them in a tub of salt to dry them out and toughen them up. A good bait for most species, especially flatfish.
I must check out the fish counter more often, I am not in Morrison's much and never but any wet fish.

Razors are great bait. Ripe for bass and cod, fresh/fresh frozen for plaice, flounder and bream. will catch most species after a blow when the beds have been ripped up.
On frozen prawns I've had schoolies, flounder, hounds, thormies, coleys and wrasse. They seem to be hit and miss though. Some days they outfish everything else, other days you can't buy a bite with them. I think it maybe down to different processing methods between suppliers

I think my nearest one is Glasgow. I need to find out where they are down the beach and collect some.
First check the high water mark - any old razor shells?
Next select the lowest of low tides
Then take a tub of cheap salt
Look for keyholes- put bit of salt down and wait
Careful pulling clam as the foot can break - go gentle
Last, never tell anyone where you found them otherwise there’ll be nothing there next time you go.

First check the high water mark - any old razor shells?
Next select the lowest of low tides
Then take a tub of cheap salt
Look for keyholes- put bit of salt down and wait
Careful pulling clam as the foot can break - go gentle
Last, never tell anyone where you found them otherwise there’ll be nothing there next time you go.
Yep, been you tubing for guidance, now a bit of beachcombing required.

If you go with the cooked prawns they are a handy snack if you’re blanking ?
Nooooo! Had prawns once outward bound on a cross channel ferry whilst doing some continental trucking. I was very ill for 2 weeks with food poisoning & a fever - not eaten them since and don't want to!

i use fresh and frozen razorfish very often i collect it myself thou black lug and razor fish wraps work very well by us for flounder plaice and even bass will take it also had many a thornback ray most supermarket stuff will be washed with fresh water so i would think it may not work as well

i use fresh and frozen razorfish very often i collect it myself thou black lug and razor fish wraps work very well by us for flounder plaice and even bass will take it also had many a thornback ray most supermarket stuff will be washed with fresh water so i would think it may not work as well
Probably okay though if you are stuck and have no other option.

Back