• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen Bait from Supermarket

Someone I know purchased some bullet tuna to use as bait recently from a chinese supermarket. They said it was really oily and was a decent bait that worked and has had them a few fish out of the Mersey so far.

I would rather buy some bait at a supermarket... that if your fishing day goes amiss is suitable for human consumption and is also much cheaper than baits from a local tackle shop. For example would be at my local tackle shop four frozen sardines for 5€ ! I can buy a kilo and a half at my supermarket for that and they are fresh!

Way back when I was in Grenada West Indies (working) I used to go to the local fish market , picked up a kilo of anchovies and live prawns for fishing off the rocks. Caught loads of different types of fish including barracuda, yellow fin tuna, snapper etc.

Any of yous fella's use any on line bait shop.. ????
There used to be one in Hayling Island, Hants. When it went bad with supplies, they moved to Blackpool area, I heard they are still as bad or worse. Wonder where they will move to next?

Any of yous fella's use any on line bait shop.. ????
I don't buy bait often, but Andy's Baits seem to have a good reputation. I've seen quite a few of the Youtube fishing clan using Andy's when doing baiting up demos.

I would rather buy some bait at a supermarket... that if your fishing day goes amiss is suitable for human consumption and is also much cheaper than baits from a local tackle shop. For example would be at my local tackle shop four frozen sardines for 5€ ! I can buy a kilo and a half at my supermarket for that and they are fresh!
frozen fish from a tackle shop is usually a far better quality than the sfresh stuff sold at the supermarket and will catch more fish

frozen fish from a tackle shop is usually a far better quality than the sfresh stuff sold at the supermarket and will catch more fish

Well that is what you get for shopping at a poor place! People in France will not put up with a poor fish shop the quality is always excellent some of it still alive and crawling ?

Well that is what you get for shopping at a poor place! People in France will not put up with a poor fish shop the quality is always excellent some of it still alive and crawling ?
I have spent plenty of time in France so I know what the shops are like. Doesn't alter the fact that fish can be at sea for days before they even reach a port let alone a market. Companies like Ammo blast freeze their bait soon after cauching. If it is then stored correctly it will outfish market stall fish

I have spent plenty of time in France so I know what the shops are like. Doesn't alter the fact that fish can be at sea for days before they even reach a port let alone a market. Companies like Ammo blast freeze their bait soon after cauching. If it is then stored correctly it will outfish market stall fish
Honestly that is nonsense I can buy live mussle, prawn, razor clams, oysters as well as other assorted shell fish and fresh sprats,sardine and mackerel no frozen food is going to top them as a bait. Frozen fish degenerates as it defrosts loosing its juices and effectiveness vey quickly a fresh bait will ooze its goodness over a longer period a much more effective way to fish in my opinion but as they say each to their own.

Honestly that is nonsense I can buy live mussle, prawn, razor clams, oysters as well as other assorted shell fish and fresh sprats,sardine and mackerel no frozen food is going to top them as a bait. Frozen fish degenerates as it defrosts loosing its juices and effectiveness vey quickly a fresh bait will ooze its goodness over a longer period a much more effective way to fish in my opinion but as they say each to their own.
We are not on about shelfish are we though which are always sold alive or cooked by law. We were on about fish
Oily fish that are freshly blast frozen by companies like ammo will fish better than those which are on a stall all day after being transported from god knows where. I can't believe I'm arguing with a man who wants to make rigs out of cable clips

We are not on about shelfish are we though which are always sold alive or cooked by law. We were on about fish
Oily fish that are freshly blast frozen by companies like ammo will fish better than those which are on a stall all day after being transported from god knows where. I can't believe I'm arguing with a man who wants to make rigs out of cable clips
Your are the one arguing as I said each to there own. Re the rigs with cable clips I said I saw the guy making them and if that is what you have why not sometimes in fishing as with any other things in life you have to be inventive? After all if you did not have access to a pulley clip and had a few cable clips they would be worth a bash would they not?

One thing I would argue with you though and this is about frozen fish. No way ever where I can shop would I go to a freezer cabinet to by fish for my own consumption ... why would I do it for a fishing bait, other than the fact it would be cheaper to buy frozen it is inferior to good fresh fish.

Last edited:
I have caught smoothhound on frozen raw king prawn. I prefer to use whole prawn or shell-on prawn tails. Also use small chunks of raw prawn for black bream (1cm cube). Frozen cockles are a handy bait for bream and general scratching. A big bag of cockles can be split into small bags for several sessions as they are frozen loose and not in a big lump.

Last edited:
Back