• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Good night on the coast

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Ben and went to our local coast looking for a huss and some bass , no bass but a good nights fishing for a change .
we got there for 5pm first target was wrasse we soon had them 2 each , biggest went to Ben 2lb just over .
E644836B-A68F-40D9-A432-4D05D8900CF0.jpeg
Then for the first time I have ever known at this mark spiders , Ben had 4 .7993C224-A38F-42CD-88E4-9A7C816143F4.jpeg,then as we were lure fishing looking for a bass some nice big mackerel appeared Ben had the biggest which he weighed and it was well over a pound .CF7F534D-A7A5-45A5-8D10-C0CC859973CE.jpeg,we also had pollack and a nice surprise launce for my spieces hunt ,50F141E8-CE74-49B9-976C-14F0F134A819.jpeg,then when it got dark I had a huss , Ben had loads of bites but he kept missing them , they were dropping off , I think his bait was too big .0965CA1C-69C9-45F6-A2EB-7AE11FDE42F3.jpeg,so to sum up the evening, Ben was really pleased that for the first time in quite a few sessions we were into a reasonable amount of fish ,Ben out fished me with biggest fish, the wrasse , the most mackerel, and the most spider crabs ?.

Well done you Boyz! Great report and photos again John. Well done on another two for the species hunt. I was chuckling at Ben - "Ben's got his head in the Spider Crab Den again!" Top Dangling! ??(y)(y)

Hard to say without seeing the nose properly but from what I can see it does look like a dog.
Huss spots also TEND to be bigger but the marking is absolutely no guarantee.
I'm far from an expert, and as you say, you can't see the nose flaps, but I think John would have been pretty certain to put it up for his species hunt.

I'm far from an expert, and as you say, you can't see the nose flaps, but I think John would have been pretty certain to put it up for his species hunt.
Yes I would definitely put money on John knowing the difference.

Just from what I can see in the pic it LOOKS like a dog, but you can’t really see the identifying features.

I know in the past I have weighed a ‘good dog’ for a comp and then on closer look realised it was a huss! The fish never got as far as me submitting it for the comp, thankfully!

Back