• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Honda 2.2hp

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Does any one know if you can remove jet from carb without taking carb off?

My engine is a Honda 2.2hp (or 2.3) 4 stroke, i had not run it since Sept 2019.
It started after 3rd pull but was missing when reved up, ran it on dinghy for 10mins but would not run for long on high revs.
Sounds like plug or carb.
Still same petrol but i have never had a problem with old petrol before, but will top up with new next time.
I think i got a plug to change.

I saw a video of some service to engine and bloke removed carb to clean.
But when he put carb back on he wanted to adjust bowl so he used socket to loosen from under the body cover, as the bowl can be removed like this can the jet be screwed out as well to clean save removing carb?

Owned a honda many moons ago and seem to remember jet could be removed once bowl was of , small flathead up centre nozzle and unscrew jet , couple of taps once loose and jet should come out ,

Owned a honda many moons ago and seem to remember jet could be removed once bowl was of , small flathead up centre nozzle and unscrew jet , couple of taps once loose and jet should come out ,
Don't drop it in the water, put a bucket underneath, fuse wire or compressed air to clean the jet.

Thanks.
Is the jet inside a brass tube like thing with the float wrapped round it ( looked like on video but did not show much of that), so once bowl is removed, long thin screwdriver needed to remove from inside the tube?

Don't drop it in the water, put a bucket underneath, fuse wire or compressed air to clean the jet.
(y) Wont be done over water, it will be on dry land.

Been there before either over water for repairs or on the sand on drying out mooring, its a pain.

Thanks.
Is the jet inside a brass tube like thing with the float wrapped round it ( looked like on video but did not show much of that), so once bowl is removed, long thin screwdriver needed to remove from inside the tube?
Yes , jet is positioned at top / bttm of tube and unscrew , if you Google the honda bf 2.3 carb clean on ybw forum it will come up with a detailed description on how to remove the carb completely If you needed to
Thanks.

Yes , jet is positioned at top / bttm of tube and unscrew , if you Google the honda bf 2.3 carb clean on ybw forum it will come up with a detailed description on how to remove the carb completely If you needed to
Thanks, i did look at one which cleaned carb, but he removed carb to do it, he then once fitted back unscrewed bowl from underneath through housing to reset drain, it looked to me that the bowl will remove out of the way, that is why i asked if the jet can then be removed, and then asked if it is inside that tube.....
So it should be able to be screwed out as above.

I did not want to remove carb in case seal/gasket got damaged and then i would have to scource a new one.

Just found the pics on ybw forum. Shows what i need to know. thanks.

Another tip for some is, the boat i had was on drying out mooring and when i replaced steering wire the outboard needed dropping, rather than do it on water dig a hole in sand so the motor will go fully down.

Does any one know if you can remove jet from carb without taking carb off?

My engine is a Honda 2.2hp (or 2.3) 4 stroke, i had not run it since Sept 2019.
It started after 3rd pull but was missing when reved up, ran it on dinghy for 10mins but would not run for long on high revs.
Sounds like plug or carb.
Still same petrol but i have never had a problem with old petrol before, but will top up with new next time.
I think i got a plug to change.

I saw a video of some service to engine and bloke removed carb to clean.
But when he put carb back on he wanted to adjust bowl so he used socket to loosen from under the body cover, as the bowl can be removed like this can the jet be screwed out as well to clean save removing carb?
Honestly the fuel is a year and a half old it is not going to be tip top probably god a touch of moisture in it and that is your problem partial main jet blockage. Modern fuel contains ethanol which can be a death nell to an aluminium carburettor. I do not know if you have used it but my advice to anybody who owns an engine that is not run on a regular basis is to add fuel stabiliser but even at that 18 month old fuel ... you deserve both :ROFLMAO:

Honestly the fuel is a year and a half old it is not going to be tip top probably god a touch of moisture in it and that is your problem partial main jet blockage. Modern fuel contains ethanol which can be a death nell to an aluminium carburettor. I do not know if you have used it but my advice to anybody who owns an engine that is not run on a regular basis is to add fuel stabiliser but even at that 18 month old fuel ... you deserve both :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, yes fuel will be changed.

Sure i had a bag of tools with it and a load of spare parts, can not find them anywhere yet.

I once had a problem with a motorcycle I had laid up for at least a year. It had little fuel in it but I thought that if I just added a gallon of good fresh fuel all would be well. I was sadly mistaken! The bike started ok but as soon as I touched the throttle it stalled. Turned out what happened was there was a small amount of moisture that had condensed out in the tank and when the fuel tap was opened it got into the carbs and settled on the main jets so it would idle but any throttle at all lifted it off the idle jets onto the mains which were blocked and it instantly stalled. I had to take them out and clean them which on a ZX9R is not a five minute job.

I once had a problem with a motorcycle I had laid up for at least a year. It had little fuel in it but I thought that if I just added a gallon of good fresh fuel all would be well. I was sadly mistaken! The bike started ok but as soon as I touched the throttle it stalled. Turned out what happened was there was a small amount of moisture that had condensed out in the tank and when the fuel tap was opened it got into the carbs and settled on the main jets so it would idle but any throttle at all lifted it off the idle jets onto the mains which were blocked and it instantly stalled. I had to take them out and clean them which on a ZX9R is not a five minute job.
It's amazing how long it takes to get stale fuel/water out. My bike is fuel injected, so far so good and no probs.

Yes taking the jets out of a zx9r meant tank off , air box and carbs off. I have a R1200GS now so no carbs now.
The same as my Honda CB, except mine is fuel injection. Still need to take tank off to get at plugs and valve adjustment. Much prefer the older air cooled bikes where you can actually get to things. Mind you this is one of the last bikes I will own as in a couple of years time to retire from biking after 60+ years, riding them since I was 12yrs old.

Of the subject of bikes but find my two stroke mariners / yam outboards are easy to work on from carb rebuilds through to oil seal changes and as long as the carb is empty for long lay ups have never had any major issues , four stroke back up merc was a different story though , looked nice but was a pain in the arse so didn't have it long.

Thanks, yes fuel will be changed.

Sure i had a bag of tools with it and a load of spare parts, can not find them anywhere yet.
Still looking for everything, something clicked last night, there was a spare prop in there as well, so not a small bag that should be easy to find!

Still looking for everything, something clicked last night, there was a spare prop in there as well, so not a small bag that should be easy to find!
Well bu99er me.
Looked in every place in caravan and nothing.
Had a thought! Are they under boot floor cover where stuff kept for puncture, opened boot o_O and there on floor is the small tool bag. There are two rubber type clips that are there, on one i have a small bag of spanners and the other i must have put the tool bag there and somehow it has come loose, would never have found it.
May not have had spare prop, unless that is in garage somewhere.

Well bu99er me.
Looked in every place in caravan and nothing.
Had a thought! Are they under boot floor cover where stuff kept for puncture, opened boot o_O and there on floor is the small tool bag. There are two rubber type clips that are there, on one i have a small bag of spanners and the other i must have put the tool bag there and somehow it has come loose, would never have found it.
May not have had spare prop, unless that is in garage somewhere.
It's an age thing Dutch, forgot where you put things safe only to find them after you brought replacements. :unsure:

It's an age thing Dutch, forgot where you put things safe only to find them after you brought replacements. :unsure:
Don't even go there!
I've got to do some repairs to a timber & metal framed garden storage box I built some years ago. Plywood lid needs removing & recovering, old bolts are rusty, so bought some Stainless ones to replace them. Put them on top of a cupboard next to the roll of new covering. They have vanished - can't find them anywhere, Wifey hasn't seem them so I must have moved them and haven't got a clue where. ??

Back