• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hook size for thick lipped mullet

Slendersunfish

Reaction score
Targeting these from harbours for the first time I notice your articles recommend various hook sizes? What do you recommend though for bread on 6lb fluro .also should these be de barbed ?

For mullet, I have never gone that large, usually somewhere in the 16 to 10 is about right. Its more important that the hook is the right size to the bait being used. For a small pinch of bread (thumb nail size), id go for a 12.
As for barbs/barbless, that is a personal choice.
I personally think barbless move around more and create a larger hole.

Interesting you would go larger on the hook size, but yes, they really do fight, especially when they get up near the double figure mark on 2Lb main line and a quiver tip!

I have a week down in Padstein coming up, and will be targetting the Mullet both in the harbour and on the outer harbour wall I usually use a size 10,or 8, to 7 lb flouro, 8 lb mono main line, and have found them to be just about right for breadflake .

I fish two methods , either a flowing trace above a sinker downtide of a weighted onion sack hung down the harbour wall, mashed bread in the sack, and breadflake on the hook, or a plain freshwater waggler float above a similar set up as above, the Mullet dont seem put off at all by the 7 lb flouro. I usually use a heavy quivertip rod for the breadflake downtide of the onion sack, and a heavy float rod for the waggler setup.I have seen some mahoosive mullet there in the past, and would not want to be undergunned in the rod/ line dept.

Seeing as the weather forecast is not so good I will probably be after the Mullet in the relative shelter of the harbour as opposed to getting soaked and blown inside out on the beaches or rock marks.

Dave

I have a week down in Padstein coming up, and will be targetting the Mullet both in the harbour and on the outer harbour wall I usually use a size 10,or 8, to 7 lb flouro, 8 lb mono main line, and have found them to be just about right for breadflake .

I fish two methods , either a flowing trace above a sinker downtide of a weighted onion sack hung down the harbour wall, mashed bread in the sack, and breadflake on the hook, or a plain freshwater waggler float above a similar set up as above, the Mullet dont seem put off at all by the 7 lb flouro. I usually use a heavy quivertip rod for the breadflake downtide of the onion sack, and a heavy float rod for the waggler setup.I have seen some mahoosive mullet there in the past, and would not want to be undergunned in the rod/ line dept.

Seeing as the weather forecast is not so good I will probably be after the Mullet in the relative shelter of the harbour as opposed to getting soaked and blown inside out on the beaches or rock marks.

Dave
There were some nice ones cruising around when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Family holiday so didn't have any kit, next time though...!

Depends on the method I'm using. Bread or small ragworms I use #8 however if I'm fly fishing for them that can drop to #10 or #12.

Just to say I have caught all my mullet on lugworm on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. I’ve had 10 in the last 3 years. Golden grey up to 2lb 6 and grey up to 6lb.

I tend to put a bucket of mashed bread thrown upstream in tidal Cuckmere river.
Either size 10 or 12 hook with bread flake with a couple of bb split shot 3ft from the hook.
Alternatively use my fly rod and a size 12/14 shrimp pattern fly with a 10ft 6lb leader. Great sport and they fight better than a bass.

I tend to put a bucket of mashed bread thrown upstream in tidal Cuckmere river.
Either size 10 or 12 hook with bread flake with a couple of bb split shot 3ft from the hook.
Alternatively use my fly rod and a size 12/14 shrimp pattern fly with a 10ft 6lb leader. Great sport and they fight better than a bass.
I'd love to have a go at fly fishing for mullet! Only ever caught one and it went like stink so on a fly rod that would be exciting!

Ive tried on the fly a few times, hooked and lost one but as you say the fight while it lasted was brilliant.

Back