• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hook types

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
OK here is a question that has been bothering me. Is a spade end hook and better or any worse than an eyed hook? For me it is more a difference of the knot or types of knot that can be used to attach the hook to the line but could there be a security issue between the two? I even see people who use eyed hooks using a Snell type knot to attach the hook.

OK here is a question that has been bothering me. Is a spade end hook and better or any worse than an eyed hook? For me it is more a difference of the knot or types of knot that can be used to attach the hook to the line but could there be a security issue between the two? I even see people who use eyed hooks using a Snell type knot to attach the hook.
Most but not all sea fishing hooks are eyed hooks these days , there,s not that much difference in the strength of the knot if tied properly . I dont think there was much a advantage in either type of hook and it was down to anglers preference which hook they like to use .

Easier to tie a spade end by machine?

All the pre-tied hooks I have are spade end. I don't think there would be much difference in strength.

One youtube expert was claiming that because the line fixing the spade end hook ran along the shank it gave better striking power and the hook would not rotate when striking... don't know how he arrives at that because mono is very flexible if it was something inflexible I would agree.

One youtube expert was claiming that because the line fixing the spade end hook ran along the shank it gave better striking power and the hook would not rotate when striking... don't know how he arrives at that because mono is very flexible if it was something inflexible I would agree.
Interesting. Wonder hiw they would explain the hooking of circld hooks which are eyed and you don't strike with?

Never used spade end hooks. I think (I could be wrong) that they were made originally in the days when they didn't have the technology to mass produce hooks with eyes. Spade ends wouldn't be a lot of good for the top hook on a Pennel rig! ??

I have used spades for years in my coarse match fishing, and using a hook tyer becomes second nature. I am not convinced using heavy mono for a sea hook would tie as neatly using a spade end whipping type knot. Most knots seem to use less turns when heavier line is involved. I would want the security of at least 6-8 turns on a spade end hook, so think that would be troublesome to tie using, say, 30lb line.

I have tied eyed hooks using a whipping knot though, i.e. use the eye as the spade, which does give a neat knot. In coarse angling most anglers switch over to eyed patters when you go up beyond about a size 10 or 12 hook. I guess the wire gauge is then sufficient to provide enough strength to a knot threaded through the eye, rather than secured up against a spade.

Also, remember, that spade end hooks are generally small and aimed at using tiny delicate baits. If you thread a worm or fish bait up over the eye of your sea hook the streamlined benefit of a spade and whipped knot is lost.

In answer to Trampster's point about hook technology, the hooks that predated spades were actually just straight shanks and were whipped on and varnished to ensure the knot was secure.

I have used spades for years in my coarse match fishing, and using a hook tyer becomes second nature. I am not convinced using heavy mono for a sea hook would tie as neatly using a spade end whipping type knot. Most knots seem to use less turns when heavier line is involved. I would want the security of at least 6-8 turns on a spade end hook, so think that would be troublesome to tie using, say, 30lb line.

I have tied eyed hooks using a whipping knot though, i.e. use the eye as the spade, which does give a neat knot. In coarse angling most anglers switch over to eyed patters when you go up beyond about a size 10 or 12 hook. I guess the wire gauge is then sufficient to provide enough strength to a knot threaded through the eye, rather than secured up against a spade.

Also, remember, that spade end hooks are generally small and aimed at using tiny delicate baits. If you thread a worm or fish bait up over the eye of your sea hook the streamlined benefit of a spade and whipped knot is lost.

In answer to Trampster's point about hook technology, the hooks that predated spades were actually just straight shanks and were whipped on and varnished to ensure the knot was secure.
Yep, you're right about straight shanks, but I've never seen one.

The favoured hook for Bream fishing down here is the Chinu hook. I bought some ready made rigs made with them and they are spade end. The knots are really very good and are tied with 37/100 fluorocarbon which is about 7kg BS not at all bad.

Last edited:
I'm guessing, a spade is lighter so better presentation of baits... Also there is no way I could thread the eye of a sz24 hook ?

Spades are just easier to use in small sizes...... Big hooks eyes are fine.

Back