• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

How far?

WOO-HOO... Then guess where I'm off to this weekend?!!
Band practice is at an end due to lockdown...so it's back to the water's edge.
Cfish, what's it looking like at Tow-rag Tor?

Right, straight from the horse's mouth, (or from a bloke that sits quite close to the horse in parliament anyway) is the news that fishing during lockdown is fine as long as you follow certain rules.

1. You can only fish with members of your household or support bubble, or if you are on your own, then you can fish with one other person from another household, but must travel to the venue separately.

2. You should use common sense in how far you travel to fish. This afternoon's vote in Parliament to bring lockdown into law is not going to include any restrictions on travel distance, but it is 'strongly advised' that you stay local as much as possible to take your outdoor leisure time.
(In other words, don't be a prat and travel 200 miles to go fishing if there is somewhere just down the road.)
Angling Trust say

I got nicked on the last lockdown, two days before Boris eased restrictions. I went fishing forty mins distance from home on my loaded up scooter. Cops said it was too far. I got away from them on my way to the mark, but got clobbered on the way home. A bag chocker with Mackerel and Pollack made it worthwhile though. I didn't meet a soul all afternoon as I fished well off the beaten track, so I was discreet and safe. Cops said rules were rules. Fair enough.
Did you get a fine ?

So I might be pushing my luck getting a train from Southampton to Weymouth then a taxi on to Chesil, I might just ask at the train station first, I don't want to get to Weymouth station and get sent back home

At the moment here on Anglesey it’s as far as you can walk/cycle but that changes for us as of the 9th and we can then go by car as long as we stay in Wales.
There were 2 Welsh anglers fishing on a Carp lake that i am a bailiff on in Shrewsbury today, i didnt see their bikes :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

About 100 mile in any direction is about closest for me

Is this an acceptable distance to travel ?
It's a hard one to answer that. I live a similar distance but don't think I will be going sea fishing during lockdown, but certainly wouldn't judge anyone that did. A bit of beach or boat fishing is a lot less risky and less likely to spread the virus than just one of the morons that are going to raves or illegal clubs will ever do.

My choice is made because I just wouldn't feel comfy travelling that far when I know others are staying home. I will make do with a trip to my local river or canals, all less than ten miles away.

It's a hard one to answer that. I live a similar distance but don't think I will be going sea fishing during lockdown, but certainly wouldn't judge anyone that did. A bit of beach or boat fishing is a lot less risky and less likely to spread the virus than just one of the morons that are going to raves or illegal clubs will ever do.

My choice is made because I just wouldn't feel comfy travelling that far when I know others are staying home. I will make do with a trip to my local river or canals, all less than ten miles away.
I’ve not been for a days fishing for about 15 months now so don’t think I’ll be starting during lockdown ?

I’ve not been for a days fishing for about 15 months now so don’t think I’ll be starting during lockdown ?
That's not great. Have you not been out of choice or because of circumstances?

I can't say I have done loads of fishing but I have had a few days here and there, rivers, canal, reservoir and beach.

Not good, you need to get yourself out ?
Trouble is my mate I go with mixes with all sorts everyday with his job (fireman) so wasn’t going to jump in a car with him for about 6 hours travelling for a days fishing

He’s now caught COVID off his 8 year old son ?‍♂️

Trouble is my mate I go with mixes with all sorts everyday with his job (fireman) so wasn’t going to jump in a car with him for about 6 hours travelling for a days fishing

He’s now caught COVID off his 8 year old son ?‍♂️
Go on your own?

Ah, I see schools going back hasn’t affected the infection rates then? ?

Go on your own?

Ah, I see schools going back hasn’t affected the infection rates then? ?
It’s a bit boring travelling 6 hours and fishing all day on your own then you’ve got 7 gallon of fuel to buy plus bait turns out an expensive day

All for wrasse n dogfish

Okay, so from what I can see the travel guidelines are just that, guidelines, so I do wonder if they would even be enforceable in law.

It also says if you need to travel for a suitable recreation/outdoor area you can, so technically if you’re inland and your recreation is coastal, you’re not actually breaking the rules by travelling to the coast. In theory?

Im by the coast so okay, don’t need to go particularly far, but this lockdown has more holes in it than a landing net.

I’ll observe for a couple of days to see how keen plod is (I suspect not much) but if I want to go, I’ll go.
I figure worst case, if they stop you, be polite and they’ll just ask you to return home.

It’s a bit boring travelling 6 hours and fishing all day on your own then you’ve got 7 gallon of fuel to buy plus bait turns out an expensive day

All for wrasse n dogfish
Six hours!? Is that total travel time?

Hmm yea, maybe not for wrasse n dogfish. The BC coast can’t be TOO far for you though? Will get straps and dogfish then ☺️☺️☺️

For myself, I love being out on my own all day. No distractions, can focus on the fishing. Move if I want, put the rods where I want, stop on the way home for food, if I want.
And no reliance on any other bugger’s time schedule. So if I’m cold and bored I can go somewhere else or go home, or stay later.
The amount of times I’ve lift shared with someone and then as you’re fishing they say ‘oh, I can’t stay past 7 today because I’ve got to take Little Johnny to football in the morning’.

But each to their own. I like my own company and don’t need to chat to someone all day but I know for a lot of people that’s part of a fishing trip.
Not that I mind company, but if I’m honest I prefer doing my own thing.

Okay, so from what I can see the travel guidelines are just that, guidelines, so I do wonder if they would even be enforceable in law.

It also says if you need to travel for a suitable recreation/outdoor area you can, so technically if you’re inland and your recreation is coastal, you’re not actually breaking the rules by travelling to the coast. In theory?

Im by the coast so okay, don’t need to go particularly far, but this lockdown has more holes in it than a landing net.

I’ll observe for a couple of days to see how keen plod is (I suspect not much) but if I want to go, I’ll go.
I figure worst case, if they stop you, be polite and they’ll just ask you to return home.
I think the police can offer you advice about returning home but they can't actually make you. All they can actually give you a ticket for is an activity that is breaking lockdown rules. Travelling somewhere in your car is not one of those things, and unless you are breaking the numbers rules, fishing is certainly not one of them.

I think the police can offer you advice about returning home but they can't actually make you. All they can actually give you a ticket for is an activity that is breaking lockdown rules. Travelling somewhere in your car is not one of those things, and unless you are breaking the numbers rules, fishing is certainly not one of them.
Wahoo! Road trip! Scotland skate anyone?

So basically no one is going to pay much attention? And won’t rouse plod’s wrath unless there’s a crowd of different household members in one vehicle?

Just all seems so pointless to me. Chances are I won’t even go beyond local distance for the next month, but useful to know!

Back