• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ian Golds Rod Rests

The pics showing the hooks ……opposite to your opinion mate!
Just been checking my ones one on left with hook is similar to golds but golds use a slot headed bolt not hex head as have a pile on bench from old ones and current one has same and that top bar no way daiwa would let on market as totally sub standard

Sorry mate, the front one sold to me as Golds, the back one with the black marker on is my old cheapie which has a 42cm mark I put on for bass!
You have got me worried now but surely Veals would know what they are selling. My original post really was just to say how disappointed I was at how poor quality something was after reading all the hype about how they were the one to have.
You'd be surprised how many shops get tucked up by wholesalers! But contact Veals and Daiwa UK and £ for a penny Veals will deal with it for you as always been honourable.

Just been checking my ones one on left with hook is similar to golds but golds use a slot headed bolt not hex head as have a pile on bench from old ones and current one has same and that top bar no way daiwa would let on market as totally sub standard
It’s out in the garage….I will check tomorrow as i suspect the back side may be slotted…..
I was also surprised at how puny the legs appear to be joined at the top of the tripod…..by a small screw…….dosnt look very durable and easy to knack if legs pulled apart…

It’s out in the garage….I will check tomorrow as i suspect the back side may be slotted…..
I was also surprised at how puny the legs appear to be joined at the top of the tripod…..by a small screw…….dosnt look very durable and easy to knack if legs pulled apart…
Bottom of legs where hits earth what's that like?

Afraid the wire on this one isn’t much thicker than a paper clip! Just had a look and the cheapie one is far more substantial.
The cheapie is on the right, has a dob of mud on it!
Tbh the wire on mine looks pretty thin, but I’ve hung plenty of sizeable fish on it and haven’t bent or broken it yet.
Mind you, they could have made it from stainless….

0983A6F6-2ECA-492C-A6B1-2857855B60CA.jpeg
Not this particular fish, obviously!

Tbh the wire on mine looks pretty thin, but I’ve hung plenty of sizeable fish on it and haven’t bent or broken it yet.
Mind you, they could have made it from stainless….

View attachment 20160
Not this particular fish, obviously!
Yes, looks like mine. Wonder how it is fixed, seems a bit wangy….
Would it take a bucket of stones ?

Yes, looks like mine. Wonder how it is fixed, seems a bit wangy….
Would it take a bucket of stones ?
I’d think so?

FFCF5996-CD3F-40BD-ABC5-1A2AE128A07C.jpeg

It’s taken fish approaching 10lb.

And I know I’ve hung a carrier bag of rocks from it at Battery Point, though no picture.

Maybe a 20lb bucket might be pushing it!

Ian Golds was a pretty good match angler.
As we all know match anglers like to have everything along with them including the kitchen sink.
Ian's gear was a compromise between weight and function.
The Golds original tripods were lightweight, appearing somewhat flimsy, but did the job perfectly once set up with customisations that were well ahead of the game at their time of conception some 30 or 40 years ago.
However I find it hard to believe any firm could improve on that without adding weight or compromising build quality in some way.

Ian Golds was a pretty good match angler.
As we all know match anglers like to have everything along with them including the kitchen sink.
Ian's gear was a compromise between weight and function.
The Golds original tripods were lightweight, appearing somewhat flimsy, but did the job perfectly once set up with customisations that were well ahead of the game at their time of conception some 30 or 40 years ago.
However I find it hard to believe any firm could improve on that without adding weight or compromising build quality in some way.
This ^^^^

IG was a remarkable match angler in my book! Look at his achievements! We weren't mates but I consider myself lucky to have met him on several occasions back when I was developing game tackle for a big brand. He was a top bloke, funny and generous with his infectious knowledge for angling. He loved the sport and devoted so much time to it. The fact his original rests are still serving so many 30 plus years on just as well as they did from day 1 speaks volumes about their original design. If standards have dropped that's a direct statement on their current manufacture and definitely not on the man himself. The bean counters will always dial out longevity if the market accepts it

Last edited:
I suspect I will have to swop the rod butt cups and bar as I use fs reels and I can see they will be too close together.
I wonder if the Golds rests of a few years back we’re more substantial than todays model….I really am unimpressed…
Mine is over 20 yrs old and it's still going strong yep.Tough as old boots.

Nowt wrong with my golds. Did buy it second hand tho so no idea how old it is

I think I mentioned this before, but I did hear Ian Golds products have been taken over by Daiwa UK since he passed away. Not sure if it's true.

If you want a light weight telescopic then the parker 6ft is much lighter than the golds.
Incidentally I bought a new golds and one of the leg lock plastic screw threads stripped 2nd time out.....
I was appalled at how cheap and thin the butt cups are on what is not a cheap rest. I did buy a cheap one at less than half the price to cannibalise and the cups were no different.

Iv got a db1 , 7foot one and to be very honest once you exstend the legs they bend like like a new born gerafft , i now use a imax it’s more solid and stable ok it’s heavy but much better than the golds

Back