• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ian Golds Rod Rests

Iv got a db1 , 7foot one and to be very honest once you exstend the legs they bend like like a new born gerafft , i now use a imax it’s more solid and stable ok it’s heavy but much better than the golds
I've got the original IG Super Match which is still going strong but don't use it these days.I have the Imax(blue one) which is similar to the Shakespeare Salt but lighter.Extends from 4 to 7ft and fits in the car boot.

I had a GOLDS tripod and i thought it was flimsy rubbish . a mate sold me a salt tripod nearly new for £20 and its far better.
I have a Salt adjustable tripod, fairly heavy but substantial to use. Also have a couple of salt sand spikes all are well made.

I've still got my mti tripod. Heavy compared to others but rock solid and reliable
Like a bloody tank those things are!

Agreed they’re very solid but most of the marks on this coast require a fair walk plus obviously climbing on the rock marks.
I like to have something that I can carry a fair distance so happy to accept the compromise as said above.
My mate has an MTI and he’s usually struggling if we have to walk any distance. It’s also a bit too bulky to strap up with the rods as well, although it does have its own carry case, I know.

If you want a light weight telescopic then the parker 6ft is much lighter than the golds.
Incidentally I bought a new golds and one of the leg lock plastic screw threads stripped 2nd time out.....
Do agree though, I don’t think the fittings are quite as good as they were.
My first Golds (which I still use, especially on awkward rock marks as it’s shorter), the leg lock screws lasted years.
My newer one, yes they’ve lasted a while but last winter I went to tighten one up and it just sheared in half in my hands.
Seems to be a somewhat more brittle plastic.

Do agree though, I don’t think the fittings are quite as good as they were.
My first Golds (which I still use, especially on awkward rock marks as it’s shorter), the leg lock screws lasted years.
My newer one, yes they’ve lasted a while but last winter I went to tighten one up and it just sheared in half in my hands.
Seems to be a somewhat more brittle plastic.
Have you tried getting some s/steel wingnuts to replace the plastic ones, also if the bolts/screws fail also get some stainless steel ones even it means drilling out the old ones (either 6 or 8 mm).

Have you tried getting some s/steel wingnuts to replace the plastic ones, also if the bolts/screws fail also get some stainless steel ones even it means drilling out the old ones (either 6 or 8 mm).
That’s a good idea but I am of the opinion that it shouldn’t be necessary on a tripod that isn’t cheap and is sold on reputation…..

That’s a good idea but I am of the opinion that it shouldn’t be necessary on a tripod that isn’t cheap and is sold on reputation…..
Just shows reputation doesn't mean much nowadays Goat.

I’m sure something could be fettled but the plastic leg lock fitting is also very specific to grip the leg, not sure a normal steel wing nut would do it.
I even took one old fitting off the previous tripod to replace the broken one but the sizes are slightly different and it doesn’t work.

It’s probably beyond my meagre fabricating skills!

Last edited:
Yep, the fittings were never great, being plastic, but the newer ones seem even worse.

That said, overall the design works for me and it is light as well, which is a major consideration.

Although if/when I ever need another there’s a good chance I’ll get a different brand.

Salt ones are far better quality imo.

Should you need some stainless steel nuts, bolts etc., Boltworld on eBay are brilliant. Bought lots from them over recent years, alway great servide.

Back