• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ian Golds Rod Rests

Should you need some stainless steel nuts, bolts etc., Boltworld on eBay are brilliant. Bought lots from them over recent years, alway great servide.

I have used bolt world loads of time, good products and quick delivery (y)

I used to say the same till I had to carry it a decent distance over soft sand
Yep, these south coast lot park up and walk 200m to the nearest groin…

A lot of marks I go to are a mile plus easy, not counting the hills and rocks to climb…

Hence my reply on the holdall thread MrF (y)
Indeed, but I can carry my rods and a Golds miles, or at least as many miles as the body will make (!) but I think the heavy Salt would make that a struggle.

Bait fishing with two rods and a tripod tends to necessitate more gear so not really comparable to lure fishing or lighter touch ledgering with one rod. Which I also do (ledgering) but I don’t take a tripod then.

My rod isn’t set up until I get there though! It would be a downright liability on some of the rock marks I go to!

Yep, these south coast lot park up and walk 200m to the nearest groin…

A lot of marks I go to are a mile plus easy, not counting the hills and rocks to climb…
That far, must get a sat nav then ;) for the 200m hike:unsure:

I thought my IG was made by Parker tbh, the leg lock I bought separately for it certainly is. It's not nostalgia but a simple fact that it's been 100% reliable for decades. Probably the best vfm item of beach tackle I've ever bought

Last edited:
Indeed, but I can carry my rods and a Golds miles, or at least as many miles as the body will make (!) but I think the heavy Salt would make that a struggle.

Bait fishing with two rods and a tripod tends to necessitate more gear so not really comparable to lure fishing or lighter touch ledgering with one rod. Which I also do (ledgering) but I don’t take a tripod then.

My rod isn’t set up until I get there though! It would be a downright liability on some of the rock marks I go to!
Also as well as a salt tripod (very sturdy) I have a couple of salt sand spikes light weight and easy to carry - works on a pebble/shingle beach as well as sand.

Also as well as a salt tripod (very sturdy) I have a couple of salt sand spikes light weight and easy to carry - works on a pebble/shingle beach as well as sand.
Not much good on rocks lol. I have thought about sand spikes but a tripod is also handy to hang things from, a stable platform to weigh fish in a sling, etc, so it does a bit more than keep my rods standing up

Not much good on rocks lol. I have thought about sand spikes but a tripod is also handy to hang things from, a stable platform to weigh fish in a sling, etc, so it does a bit more than keep my rods standing up
I've thought about a Shakey sand spike or two as easier to carry, but not convinced they'd be good in shingle and with the price of two at not a lot less than the cost of a tripod, I have abstained!

I've thought about a Shakey sand spike or two as easier to carry, but not convinced they'd be good in shingle and with the price of two at not a lot less than the cost of a tripod, I have abstained!
My tripod holds my spare traces, acts as a weighing platform, gives me somewhere to put bait elastic, scissors etc.

I don’t necessarily object to using a sand spike, but then all the bits and bobs I need by the rods will have to go on or in the seat box. That means even more moving up and down on surf beaches with our big tide range.

I've a Salt sand spike that I was given. I find it useful on the hard sands of Blackpool for putting a rod out when pumping bait is the main priority. I added some sticky backed ethafoam that they use to line flyboxes with to stop it marking the rod butts and a stip of SOLAS tape so it refects in my head torch

Every one has it's uses, it does depend on where you are fishing. I have both types and depends where I am fishing.

Just had an offer to purchase this for £49.27.
Not bad, but that's only about £2.60 off, so about 5%. I'd shop around a bit more and try a google search in case someone else has it on offer. I've found Paul's angling are usually not cheap. Or, have a look on your local Gumtree & similar. I picked my Salt up as new for £30!

so about 5%. I'd shop around a bit more and try a google search in case someone else has it on offer.
Yep 5% off same as the offer for purchasing 2 or more but I don't need one I've got the Imax Blue which is lighter than this model and the Salt which is the same design.Cannot find it cheaper on a Google search.

Last edited:
Yep 5% off same as the offer for purchasing 2 or more but I don't need one I've got the Imax Blue which is lighter than this model and the Salt which is the same design.Cannot find it cheaper on a Google search.
I thought you were on about buying one - I didn't realise you already had two! ??

Back