• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Imitation prawns.!

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My kids got me a couple from Ali express and as these are weighted supposedly useful for bouncing around some rocky structures..has anyone had any experience of these or are they not worth the postage.!PXL_20220412_130321549.MP.jpgPXL_20220412_130357802.jpg

Might work okay - they'll work better if you soak them in some Pilchard oil or similar first. Scent plays a big part.

I've used them under my local pier & caught a few bass (no size) but still a nice catch,I put them on a longish trace & fished them as I would a spinner, can't wait for the summer to arrive,then I think my catching rate with them will get better & bigger fish.if you can use them along side a structure,you should catch, hope this helps.??

They may well work but will say the brown shrimp in my estuary are considerably smaller than these lures. We don't find many prawns locally. I have had limited success with imitation crabs where similarly the majority of crab I find in gutting occasional fish have a carapace about the size of a pound coin. What have you folks found in your areas?

I've used them under my local pier & caught a few bass (no size) but still a nice catch,I put them on a longish trace & fished them as I would a spinner, can't wait for the summer to arrive,then I think my catching rate with them will get better & bigger fish.if you can use them along side a structure,you should catch, hope this helps.??
Should be good for hooking the pier stanchions. ;)

They may well work but will say the brown shrimp in my estuary are considerably smaller than these lures. We don't find many prawns locally. I have had limited success with imitation crabs where similarly the majority of crab I find in gutting occasional fish have a carapace about the size of a pound coin. What have you folks found in your areas?
We were out fishing on a breakwater last Autumn, and there was a couple of other guys there fishing but they also had some Prawn traps out. We wandered over to see what they had caught, and the Prawns in their bucket were 5-6ins long - I've never seen local Prawns like it!

We were out fishing on a breakwater last Autumn, and there was a couple of other guys there fishing but they also had some Prawn traps out. We wandered over to see what they had caught, and the Prawns in their bucket were 5-6ins long - I've never seen local Prawns like it!
ssh don't let everyone know, the place will be heaving now. ;)

Hi Cfish ive had a few school bass on them,but nothing to write home about yet, nothing worth putting on the forum.
Keep trying them we only caught wrasse on the ones we tried, have to admit we were out of our comfort zone so didn't really put the time in properly!

My kids got me a couple from Ali express and as these are weighted supposedly useful for bouncing around some rocky structures..has anyone had any experience of these or are they not worth the postage.!View attachment 25073View attachment 25072
They look similar to the Vudu shrimp made by the American company Egret Baits. They fish them under bobbers with considerable success in the US. I bought some to try under a bubble float. When I get the time I’ll get them wet and give you an update. Vudu shrimp have a Kevlar spine to give them some longevity and should be fished under some kind of indicator, hence a bubble float. Apparently the segmented body is very active in the current and the occasional twitch enhances the effect. I know shrimps/prawns under a bubble float are good bass takers so an artificial should work, especially if it gets dipped in prawn extract. Nothing ventured….

They look similar to the Vudu shrimp made by the American company Egret Baits. They fish them under bobbers with considerable success in the US. I bought some to try under a bubble float. When I get the time I’ll get them wet and give you an update. Vudu shrimp have a Kevlar spine to give them some longevity and should be fished under some kind of indicator, hence a bubble float. Apparently the segmented body is very active in the current and the occasional twitch enhances the effect. I know shrimps/prawns under a bubble float are good bass takers so an artificial should work, especially if it gets dipped in prawn extract. Nothing ventured….
Thanks. An update and any method u use would be appreciated. It hadn't occurred to me to use it under a bubble float but it does make sense so thanks for that . When I get a chance I'll have a go

Back