• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Inverbervie

flappy

Reaction score
..was the target.. just getting out to wet a line is hard enough these days.. I think August last year was the last time out.
Was due to fish here..
IMG_20220411_164209_5.jpg
But decided that I would just lose gear.so inverbervie it was.
It was overcast.. but warmish.. 8 degrees..and only a light wind.
I baited one two hook flapper rig with old mackerel.. like three years in the freezer..defrosted.. refrozen..etc. and a four ounce breakaway lead..hoofed it out some 70 yards.. which using carp rods was about as far as they would cope with.
IMG_20220413_111057_2.jpg

The other rod was mackerel and squid cocktail..on a flapper with a three ounce flat lead..
Few minutes later.. some knocks on the tips..oh.. maybe a bite.. always jealous of you guys..nice pull down you say... telltale tap of a ray you say.. stonking run from a bass or huss you say.. never in four years fishing have I seen such a thing..so I lifted in..and reeled in.
Imagine my joy to see a large wodge of blue polypropylene rope and some bladder wrack.
Sounds about right for up here.
So back out there it went.
The wind was picking up a tad..
IMG_20220413_125636_1.jpg
And the four ounce breakaway lead was starting to drag
.three or four minutes it was on the beach.
Mind you.. that tied in quite nicely with the need to remove weed and shreds of blue rope off the tackle..it was over everything.
So I put on a three ounce flat lead.. which strangely enough was holding well at distance.
I thought about putting together a black lug bait.. but reckoned in the surf would destroy it.
I arrived two hours before high tide.. but was so pissed off with pulling weed off everything I only managed two hours after high tide.
I know nothing... but it all just felt pointless.. like trying to fish in a washing machine..
Hi hum.. maybe next year.

Nice one flaps.
I understand that it's slow going up there this time of year .
Maybe some pollock marks that could produce to lures though ?

Nice one lad for getting out there?
I’ve tried further north than you and the sea wasn’t playing at all,even in sheltered spots.

At least you gave it a shot mate, looks like a pleasant enough spot to spend a few hours.

Cracking effort flappy, shame the fish didn't want to make an appearance.

Back