• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Iow , in june

Mike hemming

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’m fancying a week’s fishing in June on iow , any good this time of year , and are there any good camping sites

Hi Mike the hounds & bass are getting in to the Solent at the moment,it depends what you want on the camp site,will let you know more about the fishing as soon as I've spoken to some mates.Ian pick who is on this forum can probably advice you on what's being caught his end of the island, he's Yarmouth end ,I'm Ryde end of the island

Bass will be here in numbers by June as will bream, undulates, wrasse, pollock etc. But only if we have a better year than last year which was dire. I'm hoping for red mullet and gilthead bream this year as well.
Bream and smuts have been caught which is quite early so I'm hoping for a much better year.
Heathfield Campsite in Freshwater where I live or Lucketts near Bouldner Forest for camping. I've not used either so can't comment on facilities etc.
I'm anticipating a very busy year but June will be before the main summer season so a little quieter. If you can put up with the inconvenience the 0245 boat from Southampton is a lot cheaper.
If you've got a van Fort Victoria carpark is the place to go, just keep it low key and it won't be a problem.
You can't drive more than 24 miles, as the crow flies, to any mark on the Island so with a bit of planning you can visit a lot of good spots with ease.
Ryde and Yarmouth piers for easy fishing.
Parking enforcement people can spring up anywhere, and do!
Gurnard to Cowes out of the back of the car and can throw up some good fish but can be snaggy.
Off the back of the Island it gets a bit more difficult with landslips making access to some of the better marks difficult or impossible but you can get to some easily, but so do lots of people so evenings and night-time better, mainly bass marks.
Freshwater Bay, Fort Victoria, Yarmouth Common, Totland Bay and Colwell Bay are my local spots but I'm going to do much more boat fishing this year, (same areas just further out).
Freshwater has a tackle shop but at the moment he's only open Th Fri Sat, good bait and terminal stuff, I suspect his hours will increase as it gets busier.
The terrain varies so much on the Island that it's impossible to give you precise information without writing a book, prepare for everything.
Additionally it's a beautiful place to sit and gaze.
I've recently seen my first peregrine falcon and my first raven and a hoopoe was seen last week, you may be interested in wildlife.
I get red squirrels in the garden.
There are three breweries here, blue cheese and gallybagger cheese are delicious, a gin distillery as well.
HTH

Mucho useful info Ian - well done mate! ??

Haha! I read Mike's thread title as Low! Where on earth is Iow? !! ??

Have a good trip Mike, and tight lines! Hopefully, many catch reports! ????

Hi Mike the hounds & bass are getting in to the Solent at the moment,it depends what you want on the camp site,will let you know more about the fishing as soon as I've spoken to some mates.Ian pick who is on this forum can probably advice you on what's being caught his end of the island, he's Yarmouth end ,I'm Ryde end of the island
With a bit of luck he will hook a Portsmouth ferry from the end of the pier in Ryde ;) Just jesting mate.

Mucho useful info Ian - well done mate! ??

Haha! I read Mike's thread title as Low! Where on earth is Iow? !! ??

Have a good trip Mike, and tight lines! Hopefully, many catch reports! ????
It's miles from high tramps - get a grip :ROFLMAO:

Back