• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Is ABU still a quality brand?

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Some of you will already know I am a recent convert to sea fishing, but have had an interest in all disciplines of the sport since I was a kid (50 years ago now!).

I have coarse fished all my life and dabbled with a bit of occasional and holiday sea fishing from time to time. At some stage in the not too distant future I would like to have a try with a multiplier. Have never cast one in my life but grew up drooling over the ABU catalogues in the 70's and have always coveted the Ambassador reels. When I was young they were THE reels to have as far as I recall. A few friends had them and wouldn't use anything else.

I still think they look gorgeous but if I do decide to buy a multiplier, maybe second hand, should I buy an ABU or not? I have read some reports that quality of their new reels is poor now in comparison to other brands, which may also be easier for a novice. However, I also see lots of examples of ABUs being customised and so assume there must be something about them that makes owners loyal.

Thoughts? Have they had their day?

On a related matter, as a novice, could I use a multi on a fixed spool ringed rod to try it out or is that asking for trouble. Mine does have a sliding reel seat so reel position can be adjusted. I know it will limit casting distance, but that won't be an issue for me initially. If I like it I would be happy to get a specific multi ringed rod in the future.

I stil use an original Abu 7000 for general boat work, a 6500 for salmon and an original Cardinal (FS) also for salmon or general spinning. Would not touch the new stuff, the above are all made in Sweden.

You can use multi on a rod rung for FS but under load the line will go below the blank.

When you cast it will be under load. You`re buying all this, I`ve been buying pan net, pike net, unhook mat, feeders etc etc etc
Yea, I realised you meant casting rather than bent with a fish on!

We should have just done a swap!

Haven't bought a huge amount to be honest, compared with coarse fishing (match fishing at least) sea fishing doesn't seem to require as much gear! I lost a load of coarse gear several years ago when our garage was broken in to. Fortunately insurance covered it but it was a nightmare buying replacements - it took ages and for months and months I would be on the bank and remember something else I needed but hadn't bought!

Yea, I realised you meant casting rather than bent with a fish on!

We should have just done a swap!

Haven't bought a huge amount to be honest, compared with coarse fishing (match fishing at least) sea fishing doesn't seem to require as much gear! I lost a load of coarse gear several years ago when our garage was broken in to. Fortunately insurance covered it but it was a nightmare buying replacements - it took ages and for months and months I would be on the bank and remember something else I needed but hadn't bought!
I fished coarse for many many years as couple of good canals and lochs close to where I lived, roach, tench, carp etc. The above stuff I got does not include forking out for 2 pike rods, waggler rod, pike spinner, feeder rod, waders, over trousers, three Shimano reels, line, feeders, wagglers, brollie, bank sticks, unhooking mat, bait tubs, catapult etc etc etc. Could not have swapped, I aint owned a beach rod since about the 1970`s

Steve, can I ask why you are looking at buying a multiplier?
Just thinking about it at moment as I have always fancied having a try with one. Just an itch I might want to scratch. Guess you may think it's a bad idea??

I do find a big FS reel a bit unwieldy when casting and just wonder if my casting might improve once/if I could get the hang of a multi. I tried a FS reel down recently and liked it for casting, using my bottom hand to release the line, but less so for winding.

Would look for one second hand and not spend a lot, just as an experiment really. It's just that a multi, and fly fishing, is about the only discipline I haven't tried (and am hoping to have a go fluff chucking in the next few months). :giggle:

Try and get a second hand Daiwa SL20SH.
Very user friendly, easy to maintain, good reel to learn about multipliers with.

If you don't like it you have a guaranteed resale.

And they can let a bait go a long way when well balanced, oiled and decent bearings. I use mine with no brake blocks and rarely have any over-runs.

My thoughts, for what it’s worth...

I understand the new Abus have a bad rep for quality, being made in China these days.

The other thought is they are very pissant dinky little reels - fine over clean beaches without too much weed but imo totally outgunned when any sort of grunt is required. Have watched someone try to use them on rock marks and god it was painful.

I would have thought a multi on a rod rung for fixed spool wouldn’t feel all that balanced but it would be usable.

The Slosh is a good starter, as said, or people like the Penn Fathoms I believe.

I can understand your interest in a multi. I’m not the greatest caster but I find a multi SO much nicer to fish with, a FS just feels so big and cackhanded to me.
I do use them on occasion, they have their place in my gear but a multi for me just feels much more versatile and in touch with the fish, etc.

My thoughts, for what it’s worth...

I understand the new Abus have a bad rep for quality, being made in China these days.

The other thought is they are very pissant dinky little reels - fine over clean beaches without too much weed but imo totally outgunned when any sort of grunt is required. Have watched someone try to use them on rock marks and god it was painful.

I would have thought a multi on a rod rung for fixed spool wouldn’t feel all that balanced but it would be usable.

The Slosh is a good starter, as said, or people like the Penn Fathoms I believe.

I can understand your interest in a multi. I’m not the greatest caster but I find a multi SO much nicer to fish with, a FS just feels so big and cackhanded to me.
I do use them on occasion, they have their place in my gear but a multi for me just feels much more versatile and in touch with the fish, etc.
I have to agree with everything you have just said! o_O I’ll be getting a penchant for goats next!!:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Good luck with your multiplication Steve! ?? I've said this before but probably you weren't within our ranks then, I just cannot get on with multipliers. Fixed spool all the way for me, but everyone to their own.

I was given a lovely Quantum American baitcaster reel which I really wanted to use with a spinning rod, but having respooled it, the first day I used it I spent more time sorting out Bird's nests than fishing. I also bought my first beachcaster rod years ago which came as a deal with a multiplier reel, and could never get on with that either - same story, many Bird's nests. The fact that the reel had level wind probably didn't help, but I didn't know that at the time. I could probably set up shop with the reels I've got, but I'll stick to my Penn Surfblaster & Mitchell Blue water 8000's, and for lighter tasks I've got a nice Okuma baitrunner and a selection of others around 4000 size.

Thanks for all the advice guys, fully accept all the comments.

Its just something I fancy trying. I know I may regret it having used FS all my life, and there are lots of potential issues, birds nests, fishing in the dark etc etc where I may find I should stick to a FS. Also mindful that I might be trying to run before i can walk so to speak.

Am seeing a few friends in Devon when we go down in a month or so so will maybe see if I can borrow one and have a go. I know one mate has more or less given up on sea fishing so I might be able to take one off his hands!!!

Its just something I fancy trying. I know I may regret it having used FS all my life, and there are lots of potential issues, birds nests, fishing in the dark etc etc where I may find I should stick to a FS. Also mindful that I might be trying to run before i can walk so to speak.

Am seeing a few friends in Devon when we go down in a month or so so will maybe see if I can borrow one and have a go. I know one mate has more or less given up on sea fishing so I might be able to take one off his hands!!!
Take it from me theirs no advantage in using a multi , theirs loads of anglers getting rid of there multi,s and using fixed spool reels.

I think JJ is right from my experience. I tried a multi after a few years of sea fishing (been coarse fishing on and off for the last 30 years and sea fishing for the last 7-8 years) and just found it a lot more hassle than a fixed spool. Can't say I ever had any problems at all, it just wasn't as nice as a fixed spool to use and for me had more draw backs than benefits, like the slower retrieve rate which meant I was getting snagged alot more than with the fixed spool it was fishing next to. I can't say it improved my casting distance either like everyone says they will, but moving to braid on my fixed spools has certainly got me a few extra yards on my casting distance. If I'm being honest, the multi didn't benefit me in any way apart from being less weight to carry down the beach compared to a fixed spool.
Good luck if you do decide to give one a go, and I'd try to go with someone who uses a multi to show you the ropes as they can be abit tricky to get used to at first after a lifetime of fixed spools.

Good luck with your multiplication Steve! ?? I've said this before but probably you weren't within our ranks then, I just cannot get on with multipliers. Fixed spool all the way for me, but everyone to their own.

I was given a lovely Quantum American baitcaster reel which I really wanted to use with a spinning rod, but having respooled it, the first day I used it I spent more time sorting out Bird's nests than fishing. I also bought my first beachcaster rod years ago which came as a deal with a multiplier reel, and could never get on with that either - same story, many Bird's nests. The fact that the reel had level wind probably didn't help, but I didn't know that at the time. I could probably set up shop with the reels I've got, but I'll stick to my Penn Surfblaster & Mitchell Blue water 8000's, and for lighter tasks I've got a nice Okuma baitrunner and a selection of others around 4000 size.
With multies you have to set them up correctly then you shouldn't get birds nests etc. Just remember to use thumb to slow the spool down before the lead hits the water.
I have been using multies for beach fishing since the late 60's and it only takes a bit of practice. Exactly the same with fly fishing and best to go with someone who has mastered it.

Nice one Steve! What part of our fine county are you heading for?

Nice one Steve! What part of our fine county are you heading for?
Staying in Mid Devon, near South Molton. I am a Deben Bey - grew up in Tiverton and lived there and in North Devon until my early 30's.

Am hoping to sort out a sea fishing trip with one of my old mates on the North Devon or Noth Somerset coast :)

Back