• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Is this really a thing

JLD

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hope they are paying you to take them.

I guess you just run your line throught the hole and push in the stopper ?
No mate, you put the loop over your line between the first and second rod ring, then press the stopper firmly back on. The cap is pulled down when the rod is in the rest and when the line is pulled by a fish the cap lifts and indicates a bite. You can strike and reel in with the cap in place if you don’t mind it banging about.

The idea belongs in the dark ages though.

There is certain carp anglers who would buy them to try and look 'retro' or 'old school ' . The old style red fairy liquid ones were well known as indicators. I used to use them when young in the late 90s early 2000s. But that was because I didn't have alarms and just used the indicator itself.
More of a fashion statement than practical nowadays though .
When I'm home ill check my fairy up bottle and see if they are the same style as havnt taken notice for years .

No mate, you put the loop over your line between the first and second rod ring, then press the stopper firmly back on. The cap is pulled down when the rod is in the rest and when the line is pulled by a fish the cap lifts and indicates a bite. You can strike and reel in with the cap in place if you don’t mind it banging about.

The idea belongs in the dark ages though.
Okay thanks for that. I'll never be a carp angler.

Some folk would sell their Toenail cuttings if they thought they could get away with it! ??
As you say, some people will put any old crap on eBay if they think they’ll make a few quid.

Each to their own I suppose if some idiot is willing to buy it.

I know or know of quite a few people who are constantly selling this for a tenner, buying that for a tenner, then trying to sell it for £20.
The same types that do car boot sales I suppose.
I find it distasteful and sort of grubby, constantly trying to scratch around for a few quid. Life is too short imo.
Not to mention the amount of time some spend on it, you wonder how much they’re actually ‘earning’ per hour!

Last edited:
To upgrade all you need is a bicycle wheel spoke, foil cherry bakewell wrapper & a hair clip!
Turn the foil case upside down, insert the hair clip on the edge & mould the foil edges to pinch it in place leaving the angled edge of the hair clip on the outside, stick spoke in ground below rod. Make small hole in top centre of case and slide it down the spoke. Clip line under the hair clip. When you get a bite the foil rustles as the case is pulled up the spoke & as you strike it flies off. There you go The first bite alarm. That was more writing than anticipated & probably have no idea what I mean but that’s how I used to do it. Ps No I didn’t get a blue Peter badge.

I've fished a bit and have never had a problem knowing when I've had a bite. Why do carpers need bite alarms at all ?

As you say, some people will put any old crap on eBay if they think they’ll make a few quid.

Each to their own I suppose if some idiot is willing to buy it.

I know or know of quite a few people who are constantly selling this for a tenner, buying that for a tenner, then trying to sell it for £20.
The same types that do car boot sales I suppose.
I find it distasteful and sort of grubby, constantly trying to scratch around for a few quid. Life is too short imo.
Not to mention the amount of time some spend on it, you wonder how much they’re actually ‘earning’ per hour!
Agree. Plymouth Gumtree is rife with a few of them too. If I spot something of interest on there, I always have a look to see what other items they are flogging, and there's a few who, like you say, must be visiting Boot sales and then putting items on Gumtree for a few quid more. 1 Person had 142 items listed!
And don't start me on the dreamers - folk selling 2nd hand cheap fishing reels & rods, like Fladen, and asking more for them than the brand new price you can buy the same on eBay! ??

I've fished a bit and have never had a problem knowing when I've had a bite. Why do carpers need bite alarms at all ?
So that they can use Fishing as an excuse to escape the Mrs & Kids, and have a kip in the Bivvy! ??

I thought that everything had to be 'camo', Fairy are missing a trick here.

Maybe because they are always asleep or pissed.

Back