• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

It’s Been a Long Time …

Wobbler72

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
..since I fished from the shore. Even longer since I posted a report. Sorry about that, I’m getting lazy in retirement!

So, I got to the caravan in Pwllheli on Thursday. The winds were stronger than forecast so I took the opportunity to get the boat off the water and get the hull cleaned. This left me at a loose end. As it happened, the wind started to die off yesterday (Friday) afternoon, which coincided with low tide. This got me thinking. “Where would I have gone before I had the boat?”.

I had a few options and with time on my hands I decided to travel light and mosey out along the coast for a pop at the Bass. I wasn’t expecting much but as I approached the mark I was delighted to see (and hear) signs of life. On close inspection there was plenty of activity on the surface. I could clearly see bait fish getting scattered on the surface, Bass hitting them, and loud sucking (!) as they took the bait at the surface.

As I looked in my lure box I realised I hadn’t bought any surface lures with me which was deeply annoying, so I clipped on the next best thing; a shallow diver in the form of a Komomo II in asanago (can’t believe these are going out of production :oops:). It took me a few casts to get the range and accuracy right and then BANG, I’m in. After a spirited little scrap I had pretty little Bass of around 2.5lb on the shingle. I quickly unhooked it and cast out again …… and missed the spot:rolleyes:. A few more casts to get back in the swing and I hit the spot again. Half a turn of the reel and I’m in again. This time a slightly better fish of around 3-3.5lb. it had obviously hit the lure from behind a was deeply hooked. It took me longer than I’d want to unhook it so I got it back in the wet stuff ASAP after I’d done it.

The next came soon after. Only a couple of pounds, but I remembered to take a pic of this one

0B90EE0F-E1CE-4144-98C1-BE9E7D7DA45D.jpeg

A few more casts and I had a 4th. Again, around the 3lb mark.

A few more casts and ……. I hit the reef around which the Bass had been hammering the bait. No matter what I did, I couldn’t free it. I lost the Komomo :(

I switched to my favoured soft plastics. Perhaps they weren’t interested in them, but it also coincided with the tide starting to run hard again and the signs of life disappearing. Either way, it was the end of the action for me for the day.

Not a bad little session for me, a good walk and back in time for tea. I might not leave it so long before I try that again!

cheers

Kev

Not a lot over the other side of the bay happening at the mo.

Nice fishing!! All ways exciting when they are topping!

Great photo and a good report Kev! Well done! ????

Back