• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I’ve been a naughty, naughty boy…….

Goatfish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Today I thought I would treat myself ( no particular reason).
Ive ordered a new lure rod, Savage Gear SGS5 9’6”, 12-46g from Uttings. I decided on the heavier rated model not for casting heavy lures but at the mark I fish the most, Bass often have to be bullied a bit through the bladder wrack.
My present rod is a £30 Okuma and I’ve had loads of Bass on it over the past five years so it owes me nothing and I’m sure it will get used again in the future.
It will be interesting to see how a £150 rod compares with the £30 rod. I will hopefully know the answer come next June…….

Gotta treat yourself from time to time Al
Agree! I treated myself last summer to an Abu Garcia Tormentor 9ft 20 - 60gm rod - pleased as punch with it.
It was a lot closer to £30 than £150 though!

Ive ordered a new lure rod, Savage Gear SGS5 9’6”, 12-46g from Uttings. I decided on the heavier rated model not for casting heavy lures but at the mark I fish the most, Bass often have to be bullied a bit through the bladder wrack.
My present rod is a £30 Okuma and I’ve had loads of Bass on it over the past five years so it owes me nothing and I’m sure it will get used again in the future.
It will be interesting to see how a £150 rod compares with the £30 rod. I will hopefully know the answer come next June…….
I don't think the fish will mind if you fish with a £30 or £500+ rod Goat.

Your absolutely right Mr Beach and believe me I agonised over spending my money! Apparently, according to Mrs Goatfish I can’t take it with me………..
I brought a new car to cart my cheap fishing gear around. ;)o_O misses is not impressed, too many buttons auto braking, lane control reversing self park camera etc etc.

Still waiting for it……..!!

Don't think the fish will mind what rod you decide to use, tight lines.

Don't think the fish will mind what rod you decide to use, tight lines.
Your absolutely right Mr Beach, it was just a present to myself but must admit I’m losing the enthusiasm to spend some money now so Uttings had better come up with the goods pretty soon!

Your absolutely right Mr Beach, it was just a present to myself but must admit I’m losing the enthusiasm to spend some money now so Uttings had better come up with the goods pretty soon!
So you can now call them Utterings - all chat and no action. Hope your new toy arrives soon.

Well I’ve just sent an e mail to Uttings cancelling the order. Last correspondence I had from them was they were expecting them in stock now……have heard nothing and their website still are not listing them.
I ordered the rod in December so they have had a fair crack of the whip…..
I see Veals now have them back in stock (sent me a message) and I will save a fiver on pp too so maybe order from them.
I’ve sort of lost the urge now anyway as with two procedures / operations now happening through the summer I can see my outings will be limited……will have a think….

Well I’ve just sent an e mail to Uttings cancelling the order. Last correspondence I had from them was they were expecting them in stock now……have heard nothing and their website still are not listing them.
I ordered the rod in December so they have had a fair crack of the whip…..
I see Veals now have them back in stock (sent me a message) and I will save a fiver on pp too so maybe order from them.
I’ve sort of lost the urge now anyway as with two procedures / operations now happening through the summer I can see my outings will be limited……will have a think….
Wait till you get your refund and use it for energy bills/food etc. I am sure the other rods you have will suffice. Usual comments: would I like it?, do I need it?, is it necessary? etc etc.

Wait till you get your refund and use it for energy bills/food etc. I am sure the other rods you have will suffice. Usual comments: would I like it?, do I need it?, is it necessary? etc etc.
As I paid PayPal, Uttings didn’t take the money until they had the rod in stock. As it’s now been so long, the PayPal permission has lapsed so I would have had to ‘pay’ again before they would send it. Answers to comments..don’t know, no, no. Lol!

A decent rod makes a big difference much faster recovery is great. Normally lighter and better balanced which makes fishing easier. Watch you don’t get anything too stiff, some rods struggletocast the lowest quoted weight without a really long drop

Back