• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Just when I assumed this sea fishing lark wasn't as hard as I thought!!

Sounds like the crab moult is on then! Good sporting species the 'hound. Don't forget to set your ratchet/drag! They seem to like Cleveleys possibly because of the rough ground just off the LW mark. If you can't get peelers then try prawns and/or squid Steve
Yea, think I will give it a go but won't be until Thursday/Friday, so may well have missed them this time. Hoping to buy some peelers, but admit I have never used them before. Been looking for tips on You Tube!! Prawns as in supermarket type prawns? Have used them in the past in freshwater!

Yea, think I will give it a go but won't be until Thursday/Friday, so may well have missed them this time. Hoping to buy some peelers, but admit I have never used them before. Been looking for tips on You Tube!! Prawns as in supermarket type prawns? Have used them in the past in freshwater!
Remove the claws and legs. Keep these if you want to peel them separately to build up another bait or add to an existing bait.
Peel the crab. I start with the main shell then work my way to the underside. The belly plates are usually the hardest to remove but it depends how advanced in the peel it is. A very ripe one, the shell will crumble off like paper.
I wouldn’t worry about getting every scrap of shell off anyway, the fish won’t mind.

Using scissors, make a slit in the body from the tail ie cut about halfway, then work the result up a hook - the cut enables you to open the crab out a bit and make a rough sausage shape.
It may not thread very well, but just do an approximation then you can use the elastic afterwards.
Lash on well with elastic. You can use a single hook but I find a pennell is better to hold it all together. Don’t be afraid to lash it to the second hook too.
Hook size depends what you’re after, but I prefer a wide gape and for hounds usually use a Varivas BMX 3/0 or sakuma manta extra (basically the same thing).
No doubt others have their methods and bait tools and god knows what else, but that will get you a crab bait on a hook!

Remove the claws and legs. Keep these if you want to peel them separately to build up another bait or add to an existing bait.
Peel the crab. I start with the main shell then work my way to the underside. The belly plates are usually the hardest to remove but it depends how advanced in the peel it is. A very ripe one, the shell will crumble off like paper.
I wouldn’t worry about getting every scrap of shell off anyway, the fish won’t mind.

Using scissors, make a slit in the body from the tail ie cut about halfway, then work the result up a hook - the cut enables you to open the crab out a bit and make a rough sausage shape.
It may not thread very well, but just do an approximation then you can use the elastic afterwards.
Lash on well with elastic. You can use a single hook but I find a pennell is better to hold it all together. Don’t be afraid to lash it to the second hook too.
Hook size depends what you’re after, but I prefer a wide gape and for hounds usually use a Varivas BMX 3/0 or sakuma manta extra (basically the same thing).
No doubt others have their methods and bait tools and god knows what else, but that will get you a crab bait on a hook!
Cheers Mr Fish, very helpful :)

Back