• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Just when I assumed this sea fishing lark wasn't as hard as I thought!!

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After my first couple successful (relatively speaking) trips, reported on here in that last few months, I seem to have got stuck in a rut and am struggling to catch at the moment.

Went last night off the Gynn Wall in Blackpool, high tide around 10. Fished from 7:30 to 10:15 without a single bite, using fresh lug as well as trying squid and blue/mackerel wraps. Similar outcome for both my last day session and my first foray into fishing after dark a couple weeks ago. I think I must have been spoiled by having quite a few bites and fish, albeit small, in my first few sessions trying out sea fishing. Have to admit I would probably be starting to have some doubts if my initial trips had been as hard as the last few!

Seems like everyone is struggling according to Facebook groups and everyone keeps saying its the transitional time between Winter and Summer. Anyone else struggling at the moment? Anyone any tips to get me back amongst the fish :unsure:

After my first couple successful (relatively speaking) trips, reported on here in that last few months, I seem to have got stuck in a rut and am struggling to catch at the moment.

Went last night off the Gynn Wall in Blackpool, high tide around 10. Fished from 7:30 to 10:15 without a single bite, using fresh lug as well as trying squid and blue/mackerel wraps. Similar outcome for both my last day session and my first foray into fishing after dark a couple weeks ago. I think I must have been spoiled by having quite a few bites and fish, albeit small, in my first few sessions trying out sea fishing. Have to admit I would probably be starting to have some doubts if my initial trips had been as hard as the last few!

Seems like everyone is struggling according to Facebook groups and everyone keeps saying its the transitional time between Winter and Summer. Anyone else struggling at the moment? Anyone any tips to get me back amongst the fish :unsure:
Try charter boat fishing Steve. Blanking happens to the majority that's why most don't post a report. Have you tried from a pier or harbour wall where you can get out further? Keep trying and it will happen, as we all say we are fisher folk and not fish mongers.

Try charter boat fishing Steve. Blanking happens to the majority that's why most don't post a report. Have you tried from a pier or harbour wall where you can get out further? Keep trying and it will happen, as we all say we are fisher folk and not fish mongers.
Not really an option up here mate. The only pier where fishing is allowed is club run, with a long waiting list, and no harbours to speak of locally. We do fish off the promenade wall though, so it's deeper water at high tide than just being off the beach.

We all blank more the we like to admit, keep at it as you must have been doing something right to have caught on previous sessions. Unfortunately I can't help with any advice as I don't know your area at all. Tight lines ?

Not really an option up here mate. The only pier where fishing is allowed is club run, with a long waiting list, and no harbours to speak of locally. We do fish off the promenade wall though, so it's deeper water at high tide than just being off the beach.
Maybe a drive out to find a nice place Steve. Mind I wouldn't travel 100's of miles to fish. 45minutes to 1 hr max distance for me.

Bad luck Steve but it happens!

I don’t know your area at all but do you have other marks you can try? Even if it means a bit of travelling?

I have a whole catalogue of local marks in my head that I can consider depending upon the time of year, conditions, tide etc etc.
It means if I want to go out there’s usually a location that fits the bill.

That is built up over time and experience though so it’s mainly a matter of putting the legwork in, unless you can get the info from others or online or even go with someone.

You'\/e got Morecombe to the north for good plaice fishing and the Mersey to the south which is fishing well at the minute. It might all change after a bit of weather from the south as opposed to these easterlies.

You weren't alone in struggling last night - I spoke to a group of lads who fished a match last night and they all blanked! Fishing on the Fylde isn't all that brilliant even at its best and can probably be described best as 'patchy', add to that seasonal changes and blanks become a fact of life even for the best and most knowledgeable of anglers - we can only catch what's in front of us and there are times when simply they're offshore, out of range or not feeding. You could try the Wyre or Ribble estuaries for some flattie action, the mussel beds off Knot End for plaice, or travel further a field?

Cheers guys, it was a tongue in cheek thread title, I'm still enjoying it despite the blanks. every time I go I know I am practicing casting, baiting up, learning about tides and weather conditions, so I will certainly persevere.

I know where I am is not always great, and yes, travel is an option. I have been a little further up the coast a few times to Fleetwood, but with the sea literally 5 minutes drive from my house (and part of the appeal being how accessible and close to home it is) I would rather not travel too far. Also I am getting to know the Fylde coast a bit now, from both fishing and walking our dogs, so that must be an advantage over somewhere new where I wouldn't have seen it before.

I admit catching flatties is OK, but I would rather sit it out if necessary in the hope of a chance of a better fish (that's my coarse speci hunting genes I guess!). Think my current approach gives me a fair balance - one rod with worm and smallish hooks for anything that swims, and another with a fish/squid bait targeting a better fish. I will be patient !! :LOL: :LOL:

It's easy to be underwhelmed after a few blanks, I've had 2 dog fish this year from around 7 sea sessions, tbh I was happy to see a doggy or two as we don't get many up here.

Keep trying different venues, conditions/tides, vary your casting ranges too, close range can be great this time of year as the bass start showing in higher numbers, hopefully you'll bump into something soon.

Once spring has passed and summer is officially here the fishing will be much more exciting.

Certainly gonna stick with it here for now. Just seen a match report for Cleveleys area, 13 anglers, 26 smoothounds caught!!! Want a piece of that action myself :LOL: :LOL:
If there’s hounds about, get down there ASAP as they don’t stay in place for long.
Leave it a week and you might be too late!

That doesn’t mean there won’t be further waves or they’ll show up somewhere else, of course....

If there’s hounds about, get down there ASAP as they don’t stay in place for long.
Leave it a week and you might be too late!

That doesn’t mean there won’t be further waves or they’ll show up somewhere else, of course....
I seen them feeding one night,y. I was wading, waist deep water, a mixture of sand, and shallow reef and I turned my headlight on to change lure. About 5 yards away there was about a half dozen going mental all twisting and wriggling trying to get there heads under a ledge. A proper frenzy. They looked exactly like reef sharks hunting. You often see them on this bit of ground but normally they are gone like a flash

Last edited:
I seen them feeding one night,y. I was wading, waist deep water, a mixture of sand, and shallow reef and I turned my headlight on to change lure. About 5 yards away there was about a half dozen going mental all twisting and wriggling trying to get there heads under a ledge. A proper frenzy. They looked exactly like reef sharks hunting. You often see them on this bit of ground but normally they are gone like a flash
Ha yes, they sometimes join us in the pools when hunting for spiders. The glowing green eye make you jump in the dark! ???

But they don’t hang about long do they? I’ve had a great night on the hounds and gone back the next night expecting more and not a hound to be seen.

Back