• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Kingsbridge - Flounders ?

Baggie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hey All ,

I've been a member of this group - or the previous one (can't keep up ) for a few years and used to post about my exploits from the shore in North Wales, ( not that they were very impressive )

In any case - me and my wife have moved to Kingsbridge ! I have been here for a year now,, tried a couple of sessions, without success - (one small Wrasse)

Admittedly, i have been busy getting married, working and looking after kids etc

But I am now hoping to kick on and start some proper fishing .. so looking for any help I can get

I am more than happy to catch Flounders,,thinking about Frogmore ???

There are loads of Mullet in the Quay here .. but thats for next year

Please help me out - I have taken my new wife fishing 4 times down here and never had a bite !

She thinks I am a fraud !

Rob

My home town until 20 years ago, though Flounder bashing was never my thing! I had an uncle who was a bit of a legend in local fishing circles, and if I remember correctly, his favourite spot for Flounder was near Bowcombe bridge. Stay on the Kingsbride side, and walk downstream from the bridge a bit, fishing from low tide up. I'm not sure what he used for bait but he used to do fairly well. He's retired now but still fishing as far as I know, and holds the UK record for Gilthead Bream.

Last edited:
Hi mate, yes Kingsbridge IS the place for flounders, more so than the Teign these days and some quite big ones.
The next couple of months is the time to hit it.

Harbour rag I understand is really the only bait, but you’d need better local knowledge.
It’s easily dug in the river mud and you’ll probably see where people have dug it.
I think they fish Kingsbridge low to high or on the flood anyway.

But… this is the but… that’s general info I’ve heard from people who fish it, however it’s not my area and I’ve never fished down there, so wouldn’t have a scooby do where the marks are.
I do actually want to try down there but don’t have the foggiest where to go at the moment.

I’d suggest taking an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon recce at the right state of tide and seeing where people are fishing, maybe chat to them if you can.
From estuary experience in North Devon though, I think generally you’ll find the better marks are muddy, however at high tide you’ll probably be fishing on grass or wherever structure is there.

If you do get any specific info you can share, I’d be genuinely interested as would like to try down there at some point.

There is Flounder at Frogmore its one of the more often tried areas,Bowcombe bridge as well but can be immensely crabby there but easy easy fishing.

Back