• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Leads weights

Andy2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Made these today quite satisfying to see a shiny lead. But for reason they started to come out dull and brittle on the pouring spout. I did think the mould was getting hot so let it cooled down but the same result 3CD3CC5C-B56B-4F93-8263-B26F55CFB588.jpeg482EF118-07DA-4907-AEC9-D3F0DBB3664B.jpeg

Made these today quite satisfying to see a shiny lead. But for reason they started to come out dull and brittle on the pouring spout. I did think the mould was getting hot so let it cooled down but the same result View attachment 25144View attachment 25145

Nice work Andy! I wouldn't worry about them being a bit dull - they look great anyway. I've seen folk say on Youtube you should pre-heat the mould and keep it hot - help the Lead to flow I guess? (y)(y)

As long as they do the job I shouldn't worry too much Andy as they will go dull after using them.

All lead was old leads except 2 x 1lb leads which did look a bit different i more concerned about the brittleness on taking weight out of mould the one on the right I could cut the waste off but the other one snapped off on taking it out of the mould image.jpg

All lead was old leads except 2 x 1lb leads which did look a bit different i more concerned about the brittleness on taking weight out of mould the one on the right I could cut the waste off but the other one snapped off on taking it out of the mould View attachment 25185
Looks a bit slaggy. Skim the top of the lead with a spoon

Iv already made 20 weights before this lot and they seem to be ok. I also skim the lead

If they're brittle I wouldn't power cast with them, too risky.
That they are brittle and dull indicates to me that it's not pure lead therefore an alloy.
I've got some zinc which is dull and brittle. It's in 25mm wide stripes about 4mm thick, it just snaps when you bend it.
Zinc has a similar melting point to lead so I'm guessing they would mix easily enough.
Dangling them off a pier or boat or a gentle lob should be fine, the fish won't mind.

You may have tin added to your lead, that looks like yours.
It hardens the lead for production of pipe flanges etc.

Back