• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Lidl reels and nets

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Thanks to @cap'nhaddock i knew Lidl was setting out it’s annual offering of fishing tackle from today.
I wanted a couple of their landing nets but ended up dropping about £56 in the end.

71EE0E3E-B22B-454C-A421-46F29F6854DC.jpeg

I bought two nets for 9.99 each and the reels were 12.99 each.
I’ve bought the larger 5000 size a couple of times before and it makes a good fixed spool for winter flounder fishing in the estuary, plus it has a bait runner and most of the fittings are metal.
I usually get about two to three seasons out of one, so although it’s by no means top quality, for 12.99 it’s well worth it.

7858BE68-C4BA-4394-8A53-5EBDEDA8046E.jpeg

The smaller reel I’m thinking might be useful for lighter float fishing for mullet.
No spare spools with the reels this time, unfortunately.

The nets aren’t bad. Rubber mesh,
extendable, although a bit of a faff to extend via the seat belt style locking, but locks into place and I’m only ever going to extend at the start of a session anyway.

71488762-E92B-47F0-80A1-A408CA168CAA.jpeg
BA699AE9-1B3F-488B-80A3-C9409C0403A3.jpeg
8E6081E1-E712-459B-9602-1FFF55D3FDAD.jpeg
Plus it all folds back in the bag it came in, which has a zip and carry strap. That’s only cheap plastic but it’ll do the job.

52D4F931-533D-47BD-8610-B98081455787.jpeg

Excuse the mess!

If anyone needs cheap and relatively disposable items such as small reels or a handy net, pop down your Lidl ASAP!
But you might be surprised how long the stuff actually lasts for!

Bought both sizes of the bait runners last year, and for the money they are outstanding. I used the larger 5000 size for freelining baits off Portland and Chesil a couple of times last year with no worries. Coped with a 12Lb Undulate OK. Used the 3000 size last Monday for wrasse bashing (float) on Portland, again all good. I intend to give these reels a fair few outings this year, and I'm sure they will cope.
To that end I've been to my local Lidl today and bought the 3000 spinning reel to use as a spare in my lure rucksack. For £12.99 you can't go wrong.

Bought both sizes of the bait runners last year, and for the money they are outstanding. I used the larger 5000 size for freelining baits off Portland and Chesil a couple of times last year with no worries. Coped with a 12Lb Undulate OK. Used the 3000 size last Monday for wrasse bashing (float) on Portland, again all good. I intend to give these reels a fair few outings this year, and I'm sure they will cope.
To that end I've been to my local Lidl today and bought the 3000 spinning reel to use as a spare in my lure rucksack. For £12.99 you can't go wrong.
Ha yes, I now own six of the 5000 size ones although the first pair are basically for spares now.
I have used them on Chesil for plaice fishing on my flattie rods when conditions allowed. Didn’t catch much but then nor did anyone else that day, that I saw.

Yes I guess the 3000 would be fine for float fishing although I usually use something a little larger but it was more a case of what I had to hand than being bothered about the reel size.

How did you get on with your wrasse trip? I want to fish Portland more this year if I can.
Assume you used rag on the float?

Ha yes, I now own six of the 5000 size ones although the first pair are basically for spares now.
I have used them on Chesil for plaice fishing on my flattie rods when conditions allowed. Didn’t catch much but then nor did anyone else that day, that I saw.

Yes I guess the 3000 would be fine for float fishing although I usually use something a little larger but it was more a case of what I had to hand than being bothered about the reel size.

How did you get on with your wrasse trip? I want to fish Portland more this year if I can.
Assume you used rag on the float?
Plenty of Wrasse but all mostly small Corkwings with the odd small Ballan thrown in. We used mostly rag, but also tried small slivers of mackerel to see if there were any Gar or Mackies about but no joy. Think the tides were a bit small too. Later in the year we quite often use (slightly defrosted) tiger prawns from my local Chinese supermarket, for the bigger wrasse.

Plenty of Wrasse but all mostly small Corkwings with the odd small Ballan thrown in. We used mostly rag, but also tried small slivers of mackerel to see if there were any Gar or Mackies about but no joy. Think the tides were a bit small too. Later in the year we quite often use (slightly defrosted) tiger prawns from my local Chinese supermarket, for the bigger wrasse.
Sounds busy at least. Yes it was quite small tides at the weekend wasn’t it?
Although on that coast it only manages to move about three feet anyway ?

I wish we had a Chinese supermarket ???

Thanks to @cap'nhaddock i knew Lidl was setting out it’s annual offering of fishing tackle from today.
I wanted a couple of their landing nets but ended up dropping about £56 in the end.

View attachment 10287

I bought two nets for 9.99 each and the reels were 12.99 each.
I’ve bought the larger 5000 size a couple of times before and it makes a good fixed spool for winter flounder fishing in the estuary, plus it has a bait runner and most of the fittings are metal.
I usually get about two to three seasons out of one, so although it’s by no means top quality, for 12.99 it’s well worth it.

View attachment 10288

The smaller reel I’m thinking might be useful for lighter float fishing for mullet.
No spare spools with the reels this time, unfortunately.

The nets aren’t bad. Rubber mesh,
extendable, although a bit of a faff to extend via the seat belt style locking, but locks into place and I’m only ever going to extend at the start of a session anyway.

View attachment 10289
View attachment 10290
View attachment 10291
Plus it all folds back in the bag it came in, which has a zip and carry strap. That’s only cheap plastic but it’ll do the job.

View attachment 10292

Excuse the mess!

If anyone needs cheap and relatively disposable items such as small reels or a handy net, pop down your Lidl ASAP!
But you might be surprised how long the stuff actually lasts for!
Nice one Tony! I looked at the reels and they looked good for the money, but I could set up shop with the ones I already have! I've already got an old but sound net, and don't think I've ever needed it. Does the pole on the Lidl one unscrew? I bought a 2.5m quality pole a while back, and might buy a net if it will fit my pole. I can always use the Lidl pole for poking Wifey! ??

Nice one Tony! I looked at the reels and they looked good for the money, but I could set up shop with the ones I already have! I've already got an old but sound net, and don't think I've ever needed it. Does the pole on the Lidl one unscrew? I bought a 2.5m quality pole a while back, and might buy a net if it will fit my pole. I can always use the Lidl pole for poking Wifey! ??
Yes they’re good for the money. I won’t even use mine for awhile but wanted to pick up a couple of new ones while they were going, as the last couple of years they don’t seem to have done fishing stuff and/or I missed it.
Either way, wanted to grab it while it was there.

No I don’t think the poles unscrew, they’re collapsible when you slide a little switch, and fold down to go in the bag they provide.
Nets aren’t something i use much but handy to have if I decide to go mulleting etc.
These can be slung on a shoulder or indeed, as with the last Lidl net I bought, strapped on top of my rucksack.

Somehow I've come away from Lidl with two 5000 and two 3000 reels, nice and shiny; the battered, scruffy, but still serviceable reels they'll replace will go to the chap who runs the junior section of a fishing club.

I've just spooled up the 3000s with braid on two and mono on the others, they will be on my 8' Shimano spinning rods for mini hunting. The 5000s will go on the Agility Flattie rods for float and general fishing, looking forward to using them tomorrow.

Wifey say's she will slap your Face then stick pole up your rear End!:eek:

Somehow I've come away from Lidl with two 5000 and two 3000 reels, nice and shiny; the battered, scruffy, but still serviceable reels they'll replace will go to the chap who runs the junior section of a fishing club.

I've just spooled up the 3000s with braid on two and mono on the others, they will be on my 8' Shimano spinning rods for mini hunting. The 5000s will go on the Agility Flattie rods for float and general fishing, looking forward to using them tomorrow.
Nice one. Did you put braid on the 3000s and mono on the 5000s?

Unfortunately they didn’t appear to have spare spools with them this time? Or at least mine didn’t.
Mind you, I have, I think, eight spools for the 5000 from the four I’ve bought previously!

Braid and mono for the 3000s as there are spare spools, mono on the 5000. I don't care for braid for casting as I'm seldom going for distance.
I've been using Wakasu line, it's very small diameter for its strength rating.
When fishing two rods close together close in after minis its good to have different colour lines so that the inevitable tangles are easier to sort out.

Braid and mono for the 3000s as there are spare spools, mono on the 5000. I don't care for braid for casting as I'm seldom going for distance.
I've been using Wakasu line, it's very small diameter for its strength rating.
When fishing two rods close together close in after minis its good to have different colour lines so that the inevitable tangles are easier to sort out.
I didn’t get a spare spool with the 3000 I bought ☹️☹️☹️

I didn’t get a spare spool with the 3000 I bought ☹️☹️☹️
"I've more 3000 spools than I know what to do with", cap'nhaddock says smugly.

I noticed that one box didn't have a spare so left it and found another, if you complain they will exchange, if they have a box left.

"I've more 3000 spools than I know what to do with", cap'nhaddock says smugly.

I noticed that one box didn't have a spare so left it and found another, if you complain they will exchange, if they have a box left.
Ah I see, didn’t think to check when I picked it up.
Nah, not a problem. That reel will have fairly minimal use do I’ll probably just load it up with 8/10lb mono, not sure yet…

I had a look at the stuff when I was in yesterday, was tempted by the "popper" pack but managed to resist, didn't look at the nets, but would have had I realised they were rubberised.! ?

Back