• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Local Bay

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi Gents,
I set my alarm for 2 am, after wandering about my sanity, I phone Fulf to make sure he was up, I need not have worried. Our first lures were hitting the water about 2.50 am, mine a white SG gravity stick paddle tail and Fulf a white Albie.
We had a half moon shrouded with high clouds popping out briefly before ducking behind yet more cloud. A cold north east wind light starting off, but developing in strength as the session unfolded. Though it was a little cool in the wind we were grateful for the extra ground coverage due to it's welcome assistance. The sea was as flat as witches tit, occasionally being gently disturbed with a token wave breaking a few meters from the shore. The water clarity, well lets say It would compare favorably to tap water, not ideal conditions but thankfully the bay was reasonably clear of the dreaded Weed.
This was my first time with a gravity stick and to be honest I should have done it when I could see the lure. I spent the first half an hour wandering how the lure was performing at the retrieve rates and where in the water table it was swimming.
We started at the opposite end of the bay from our normal start point. The last few times we had fish on the ebb on the right side of the bay . I had pondered that maybe because we were a little earlier than usual in the ebb, the fish would be stationed on the left where they entered the bay and exiting following the ebbing tide where we had intercepted on the right. We fruitlessly fished for half an hour before changing to the left side of the bay my theory for this session in tatters lol.
I also took the opportunity to change lures putting on a dark blue gravity stick pulse tail another first, but this had a belly weight so at least with the slow retrieve I knew where it was as it gently bumped along the bottom. Twice with this lure I thought I had a very gentle pluck at the lure but I put it down to small pollack or bass lets. Fulf was shouting excitingly to me as he had a really strong bite but he didn't connect. Fulf has been having a torrid time on the lures this season and though his voice was excited to have a bite you could also hear his disappointment almost despair at the same time.
I moved further to the right, actually wading out on the mixed ground something I would normally avoid but as the sea was so clear and flat I gave it a go. I rifled through more lures, a Komomo 11, shoreline shiner SSR , pearl zonk, and Feed shallow in mullet to no avail. Just as the sun began to illuminate the bay which happened to coincide with the start of the flood I made my final change to a surface lure in the form of a 125 patch in Aji. Three cast at its nailed 25 meters from where I'm stood you never know but you do wander whether it followed the lure in, or it was just in front of me all of the time. The fish fought well and as I pulled onto the shore I was just a little disappointed how small it was, it certainly was punching above its weight. The broad shouldered chunky little chap was snapped and measured at 37 cm before swimming off very strongly. Two cast later the lure was nailed again even closer to me than before, the water exploding as fish broke surface straight away, unfortunately it wasn't on long enough to guess at the size but from the brief visual encounter it looked half tidy. By now the early morning swimmers had started to arrive signaling the end to a session.
Onwards and upwards gents, may your lines for ever feel tight

Attachments

• 20210830_055442.jpg
    20210830_055442.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210830_055242.jpg
    20210830_055242.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi Gents,
I set my alarm for 2 am, after wandering about my sanity, I phone Fulf to make sure he was up, I need not have worried. Our first lures were hitting the water about 2.50 am, mine a white SG gravity stick paddle tail and Fulf a white Albie.
We had a half moon shrouded with high clouds popping out briefly before ducking behind yet more cloud. A cold north east wind light starting off, but developing in strength as the session unfolded. Though it was a little cool in the wind we were grateful for the extra ground coverage due to it's welcome assistance. The sea was as flat as witches tit, occasionally being gently disturbed with a token wave breaking a few meters from the shore. The water clarity, well lets say It would compare favorably to tap water, not ideal conditions but thankfully the bay was reasonably clear of the dreaded Weed.
This was my first time with a gravity stick and to be honest I should have done it when I could see the lure. I spent the first half an hour wandering how the lure was performing at the retrieve rates and where in the water table it was swimming.
We started at the opposite end of the bay from our normal start point. The last few times we had fish on the ebb on the right side of the bay . I had pondered that maybe because we were a little earlier than usual in the ebb, the fish would be stationed on the left where they entered the bay and exiting following the ebbing tide where we had intercepted on the right. We fruitlessly fished for half an hour before changing to the left side of the bay my theory for this session in tatters lol.
I also took the opportunity to change lures putting on a dark blue gravity stick pulse tail another first, but this had a belly weight so at least with the slow retrieve I knew where it was as it gently bumped along the bottom. Twice with this lure I thought I had a very gentle pluck at the lure but I put it down to small pollack or bass lets. Fulf was shouting excitingly to me as he had a really strong bite but he didn't connect. Fulf has been having a torrid time on the lures this season and though his voice was excited to have a bite you could also hear his disappointment almost despair at the same time.
I moved further to the right, actually wading out on the mixed ground something I would normally avoid but as the sea was so clear and flat I gave it a go. I rifled through more lures, a Komomo 11, shoreline shiner SSR , pearl zonk, and Feed shallow in mullet to no avail. Just as the sun began to illuminate the bay which happened to coincide with the start of the flood I made my final change to a surface lure in the form of a 125 patch in Aji. Three cast at its nailed 25 meters from where I'm stood you never know but you do wander whether it followed the lure in, or it was just in front of me all of the time. The fish fought well and as I pulled onto the shore I was just a little disappointed how small it was, it certainly was punching above its weight. The broad shouldered chunky little chap was snapped and measured at 37 cm before swimming off very strongly. Two cast later the lure was nailed again even closer to me than before, the water exploding as fish broke surface straight away, unfortunately it wasn't on long enough to guess at the size but from the brief visual encounter it looked half tidy. By now the early morning swimmers had started to arrive signaling the end to a session.
Onwards and upwards gents, may your lines for ever feel tight
Nice fish, great report ?

Back