• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Long, long time go

stan m

Reaction score
When the hair was brown instead of grey and the Tom Sellick `tache was essential (1985) I was merrily fishing the River Leven which runs out of L. Lomond and into the Clyde. Nice bright April day and the river was low and clear. Normal guidelines would suggest small lures or flies.

Had a section of river more or less to myself so did not need a few steps between casts. A nice wee fresh run fish showed itself some 20 yds out, probably around the 7 -10lb mark. It hung around in the one lie so I chucked various things at it, fly, then spinners, worm even prawn (was legal then). No takes but I`m tenacious so went through the armoury again still nothing and still it was head and tailing. Had forgotten the guidelines for low water so was on a 4inch yellow belly.

Ballifs arrived in the landrover, I knew them well so we started to chat, me with my back to the river. Heard the splash again from the same area so without really looking I fired a back cast which landed some 20 ft or so downstream from where I had intended. Crash, wallop and the 10ft spin rod arched over, 12lb mono screamed out and I felt the thud, thud and slow head shaking of a heavy fish. Never saw more than a flash of the flanks in the clear water but it was deep down, probably 10ft or so. Tried to get downstream so it was fighting me and the current but having to move around bushes and things it proved not to be easy. Roughly 400 yds downstream from the take and around 40 mins later it started to come closer to the surface, jesus feck said one of the ballifs,(they had followed in the landrover), or words similar, a feckin` monster. By this time the line was singing, just 12lb mono and I was shortening the range so managed to screw the drag up a bit, this allowed the fish to be brought close to the bank. One of the baliffs slipped down the bank and with a single lunge gaffed it and fired it over our heads and smacked it into a low wall. It lay there, obviously was not getting returned as it was now bleeding bad from the gills and the gaff hole. I dispatched it and the baliff stuck and old set of scales on, 32lb of springer on the dot.

Managed to get it to a tackle shop a wee bit later and weighed it on new scales where it came in at 29lb 12oz, so not a 30, perfectly happy with the actual weight.

All of that and the time, an hour or so, I had covered the nearby small fish I never knew this beastie was lying deep. Never know the minute.

decalbush023.jpg

nice little read that ...love the old photos seems to capture the moment better than a perfect new picture where u can see too much detail sometimes if that makes sense lol

In a similar vein of long long ago, nearly 30 years is a catch I had one night sea trout fishing. It was in septemer a warm thundery kind of night a few other fishers had been out but went home citing it would be no good, I had the whole beat to myself.
There was some pretty massive, stair rod, showers during the night but the first fish I caught was the 5lb sea trout lying in between the two salmon of 8.5lb and 13.5lb.
All caught on a single hander and a nith favourite the Brown Turkey.
Finished after the bigger salmon as it broke my net getting it in and I couldn't carry any more.

A picture that would curl a lot of toes these days.

Attachments

• DSC_0268.JPG
    DSC_0268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
In a similar vein of long long ago, nearly 30 years is a catch I had one night sea trout fishing. It was in septemer a warm thundery kind of night a few other fishers had been out but went home citing it would be no good, I had the whole beat to myself.
There was some pretty massive, stair rod, showers during the night but the first fish I caught was the 5lb sea trout lying in between the two salmon of 8.5lb and 13.5lb.
All caught on a single hander and a nith favourite the Brown Turkey.
Finished after the bigger salmon as it broke my net getting it in and I couldn't carry any more.

A picture that would curl a lot of toes these days.
Doesn't count without a moustache picture

Back