• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Long weekend match fishing.

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fished our annual bristol channel rover at the weekend. Headed to the south coast Thursday evening to try for some fresh bait, as the match started Friday evening. Sadly no mackerel showed, but I did manage a bonus small eye of 11lb2oz, brilliant as it was a new pb and also as I only had one cast!. Started locally Friday with a couple of hours on Brean beach, windy, rough water not usually very good, but managed to scratch out a 2lb6oz bass and a dogfish. Missed 2 more cracking bass bites but at least fish on the board. Saturday was again not ideal, strong West and north west winds made the bristol channel very tricky. Spent the morning flounder fishing up the estuary for just green eels, the low tide spent flogging it out on the reefs for undersize fish. Saturday night was spent out on the beer, 5am start Sunday with a sore head, headed down channel to fish for mullet, not one fish showed! Desperation tactics now, headed out to a low water mark that had been good for us in the past. At last plenty of bites, managed 8 huss, 5 congers and a single dog, no monsters huss to 4lb8oz eels to about 8lb. Would of been easier if I had crab and just target hounds but totally given up on getting any now. Ah well managed to secure 6th place in the comp, and my mate 5th. So a very enjoyable weekend, very hard fishing, burnt to an absolute crisp and still hanging now. Hands covered in huss scrapes and a red lobster colour face. Would I do it again? Absolutely ?

Back