• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

looking for some braid ,

From April till now November fishing near on every day I did not have 1 wind knot in my Chinese braid

Is that a question or a statement Rock? If it’s a statement :-
Where did you get yours?
What breaking strain is it?
How many strands?
What colour.
Fixed Spool or Multiplier?

And most importantly, did the fish like it enough to jump on your hooks?

Just out of interest

To those of you using braid. Do you think it matters what colour braid you use for spinning & also do you use a fluro leader to camouflage the last length of line to the lure and prevent wear? If so how long a leader is required and can this affect casting causing wind knots? Also would you use a weaker bs than your braid to minimise braid loss if snagged.
Apologies for jumping in on this post

Thanks.

For me white braid 8 strand 18ib
Flouro carbon leader 16ib as for length 3ft
And get to tye the FG knot properly
Don't cast the knot thru the eyes 2 reasons it will weaken the knot over time and can dislodge the eye liner
Wind knots mainly come from bad line lay
Surface work braid straight thru to lure clip

i read somwhere that spraying with silicone spray helps with braid.
I use silicone spray on my fly lines, never heard of using it on braid although I use mono
i read somwhere that spraying with silicone spray helps with braid.

I did see a YouTube video of someone spraying a PTFE oil on braid, so I have tried it on just one of my reels out of curiosity.

All I can say is that it does not seem to do any harm! I rarely (never these days!) get wind knots anyway, but I did wonder if it would make for smoother, longer casts. It would take some time casting with before and after being sprayed to prove a point, I think I would be better spending that time actually fishing.

Biggest problem with braid is many anglers do not load it tight enough when spooling up. Once you learn to do that braid is rarely a problem.

You can get a line loading jig with variable tension adjustment off ebay, for the cheap price they do the job very well.

.... sure you don't have to order from China though!

Last edited:
I did see a YouTube video of someone spraying a PTFE oil on braid, so I have tried it on just one of my reels out of curiosity.

All I can say is that it does not seem to do any harm! I rarely (never these days!) get wind knots anyway, but I did wonder if it would make for smoother, longer casts. It would take some time casting with before and after being sprayed to prove a point, I think I would be better spending that time actually fishing.

Biggest problem with braid is many anglers to not load it tight enough when spooling up. Once you learn to do that braid is rarely a problem.

You can get a line loading jig with variable tension adjustment off ebay, for the cheap price they do the job very well.

I've got that very same one Steve! It probably came from eBay, but not sure if it was a Chinese seller - I usually try to avoid them!

It works well. The only thing I will mention is the suction cup on the bottom is useless. We've got a 100mmm overhang all around our Coffee table, so I usually just put a clamp on it.

I've got that very same one Steve! It probably came from eBay, but not sure if it was a Chinese seller - I usually try to avoid them!

It works well. The only thing I will mention is the suction cup on the bottom is useless. We've got a 100mmm overhang all around our Coffee table, so I usually just put a clamp on it.
Yes, I took that suction cup off as well! Easier to put that end in a workshop vice now.

Yes, I took that suction cup off as well! Easier to put that end in a workshop vice now.
No workshop here Steve, and I think I'd be in deep shite if I bolted a vice to the Coffee table! 😂😂😂

Biggest problem with braid is many anglers do not load it tight enough when spooling up. Once you learn to do that braid is rarely a problem.

I ordered one yonks ago via a company from China, took 4 weeks to arrive but 85% cheaper than buying from the UK. Works fine for spooling coffee grinders (fixed spool reel)

Back